Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Hence why the current generation can't read; if anything consists of more than 140 characters then they don't have the attention span to comprehend it.

So, according to you, there's nothing between 140 characters and over a thousand? There's no need for brevity? We should all throw out long-winded explanations where shorter ones would suffice? I don't understand the idea that we should all just continue to go on and on when a smaller answer gives all of the relevant information needed.

This isn't a case of somebody throwing in a lot of detail that's needed. Sometimes, less is more.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hence why the current generation can't read; if anything consists of more than 140 characters then they don't have the attention span to comprehend it.
Yes, that's exactly the conclusion that can be drawn from that. And not the more obvious and logical one of people not really caring about inflated ramblings of random unknown internet users.

tropos

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
Less than a week ago I decided I had enough and downgraded Skype to version 6.3 (from 6.15). The reason? Ever since last year, when Microsoft decided to remove chat history controls in favour of an 'auto-load as you scroll' feature, I had to wait ages and ages for Skype to get tired of spinning the beach ball and allow me to type in order to write back to a contact whose' chat view I had just switched to. Sometimes quitting and starting Skype again was necessary, as it became unusable. Downgrading also radically reduced the amount of CPU Skype was using.

It kind of reminded me how switching from version 2.8 to 5.x quadrupled CPU usage. I was then lucky to find out that switching off emoticon animations restored processor consumption back to 2.8 levels. And as I write this, I actually wonder what the processor footprint of an automatically loading history + animated emoticons would have been. I dread to think!

To be fair, I still use an old late-2009 MacBook Pro. I imagine Skype runs lighter on newer systems. But the core functions of the application do not/did not require this excessive load. Version 2.8's icons may have had fewer animation frames, but what a difference did that make to CPU usage!

I understand that Microsoft needs to move forward and update the protocol, but cutting it at 6.14 is rather strict (for me anyway! :) )

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
This is bad news, I'm away from home for a while and use Skype to talk with family...she's using my 2006 1,1 MacPro which cannot upgrade to Mavericks (thanks Apple) so that means it's stuck with a version of Skype that will be deactivated...

Is there a good video/audio chat program that works on Windows and OSX that isn't Google- or Facebook- related?

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Doesn't matter - he/she is right.

The internet was useful in about 2001, since then all the useful stuff as been dumbed down - once upon a time Google did search well - it actually searched for what you wanted - now it assumes I can't spell and auto-incorrects me, then we have social media - i.e. stupid people telling other stupid people stupid things.

BTW - from one of your earlier posts - I'm still on ML cos Apple has removed local wifi sync from iTunes and I don't do 'the cloud'.

:)

Apple readded that feature in 10.9.3. I agree about the Internet, it is a pile of resource hogging garbage that gives me less information than it did 10 years ago.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Moronic posts like this really bug me. I'm 21 and I write books for a living (which requires an unbelievable amount of patience and reading skills), so speak for yourself. Don't tarnish the youth with the same brush just because they helped make social networking popular.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Moronic posts like this really bug me. I'm 21 and I write books for a living (which requires an unbelievable amount of patience and reading skills), so speak for yourself. Don't tarnish the youth with the same brush just because they helped make social networking popular.

While I generally agree with you, your sample size of one (person) doesn't give your argument much scientific standing.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
iMac G4s are great machines, better than G5s in fact due to reliability (I have lots of experience with G5s dying and G4s living). The main things that make them less useful are discontinued software like this and web sites becoming heavier. You wake up one day, and some application you used to use no longer works, or YouTube suddenly lags. It stinks because an iMac G4 should otherwise be a perfectly usable PC.

Software gains features, more code is added, more resources are needed, rinse and repeat. Shouldn't an early 90's Windows 3.1 PC should be a perfectly usable PC as well? It can play videos and connect to the internet, why shouldn't it be able to play YouTube videos and connect to Skype? It doesn't work that way, though. Developers don't have unlimited resources to do as they please, so they have to focus on newer hardware and operating systems.

Because some people are trying to actually work on their Macs instead of booking movie tickets all day. Mavericks is a mess for them.

For the vast majority of people, Mavericks is equally as functional and a bit faster than ML. Of course, the MacRumors echo chamber makes it look like every OS and device that Apple releases is bug-riddled and defective.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Software gains features, more code is added, more resources are needed, rinse and repeat. Shouldn't an early 90's Windows 3.1 PC should be a perfectly usable PC as well? It can play videos and connect to the internet, why shouldn't it be able to play YouTube videos and connect to Skype? It doesn't work that way, though. Developers don't have unlimited resources to do as they please, so they have to focus on newer hardware and operating systems.

But an iMac G5 or G4 used to be able to play YouTube videos at any resolution except maybe 1080p. Now they can't play any YouTube videos. Nothing has changed except the version of Flash being used, since staying on one version too long leaves you vulnerable to malware, and whatever YouTube has done (nothing substantial).

Here's another one: Photoshop. CS3 ran on an iMac G4. CS6 has pretty much the same features, with a few things added of course, and now it suddenly requires twice the RAM, 16X the VRAM, and a multicore Intel processor. I would understand a small increase in the system requirements, but that's insane. It's similar with Excel. 2GB of RAM for a spreadsheet?! That's nothing but lazy programming and library-gluing. Programmers are keeping resource usage up to par with computer hardware.

Last edited:

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/

No, it's just that anyone would rather read less than more if looking for a quick answer. And school matters more now than it did before. No, I don't use Twitter except to sign into cruddy websites, and yes, my server code is longer than 140 characters.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
But an iMac G5 or G4 used to be able to play YouTube videos at any resolution except maybe 1080p. Now they can't play any YouTube videos. Nothing has changed except the version of Flash being used, since staying on one version too long leaves you vulnerable to malware, and whatever YouTube has done (nothing substantial).

Here's another one: Photoshop. CS3 ran on an iMac G4. CS6 has pretty much the same features, with a few things added of course, and now it suddenly requires twice the RAM, 16X the VRAM, and a multicore Intel processor. I would understand a small increase in the system requirements, but that's insane. It's similar with Excel. 2GB of RAM for a spreadsheet?! That's nothing but lazy programming and library-gluing as programmers manage to keep computer resource usage increasing as rapidly as computer hardware advancement is.

Office 2013 has a system requirement of 1gb of RAM. I don't know where you're getting 2gb from, unless you're using the 64-bit version.

Also ...they really didn't add any features between CS3 and CS6. "Pretty much the same features" implies that if you put the two next to each other, people won't be able to tell much of a difference from the perspective of getting work done.

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
Office 2013 has a system requirement of 1gb of RAM. I don't know where you're getting 2gb from, unless you're using the 64-bit version.

Yes, I meant the 64-bit version since modern computers run in 64-bit. But I don't really know how Excel would benefit from 64-bit unless some double-precision column calculation is taking a noticeable amount of time, so maybe I'd run it in 32-bit mode.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yes, I meant the 64-bit version since modern computers run in 64-bit. But I don't really know how Excel would benefit from 64-bit unless some double-precision column calculation is taking a noticeable amount of time, so maybe I'd run it in 32-bit mode.

The only reason to use 64-bit Office is if you have a need for a huge amount of RAM to be used. It's one of the reasons why Microsoft tries to get people to use the 32-bit version. Another is compatibility, apparently.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/w...-or-64-bit-version-of-office-HA010369476.aspx
http://www.pcworld.com/article/240684/microsoft_office_32_or_64_bit_.html

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
And the argument that was made was being made poorly based on a sample size of one.

How do you know what his sample size was? I took what he said to be generalization about society, not a commentary on someone here. Frankly, I could make an argument all day long for what he said, although I doubt you'd want to read it. I could apply those statements to my generation as well (my experience alone in College level English classes of which I have minor in showed me just how bad it really is. Let's just say 8th grade grammar is a problem for most people in college, but the way our school system pushes flunkies through, it's a small wonder a high school graduate isn't prepared for college).

In any case, it's a generalization not a condemnation of every single person. There are intelligent well-written exceptions out there, but MOST people are dumber than tacks or the average IQ would not still be around 100 with 50% of the population LESS than 100 (which is Forrest Gump territory, IMO). Maybe I don't relate at 155, but the sheer stupidity and ignorance I see on the News every day in everything from people cutting off other people's heads based on disagreements over fictional belief systems to drive-by-shootings over "dissing" or other gang-related nonsense leads me to conclude that your average human being is neither bright or moral. Perhaps the IQ on MacRumors is a good deal above average and so one could get a false impression of humanity here, but try visiting some pop music or car forums and see how and what people post. You might just change your mind about people in general, let alone today's youth. In short, just because you can write doesn't mean "most" people can. Texting over taking typing classes doesn't help anything, in my opinion. Perhaps schools should be offering basic business classes (covering such basic things like doing your own taxes and checkbook balancing which it seems most people cannot or will not do) instead of geology. Your average human would get far more useful information for every day life there whereas hardly anyone enjoys studying rocks or uses it on a daily basis.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
While I generally agree with you, your sample size of one (person) doesn't give your argument much scientific standing.

Right. Because colourfastt had a much greater sample size and scientific standing. :rolleyes:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
How do you know what his sample size was? I took what he said to be generalization about society, not a commentary on someone here. Frankly, I could make an argument all day long for what he said, although I doubt you'd want to read it. I could apply those statements to my generation as well (my experience alone in College level English classes of which I have minor in showed me just how bad it really is. Let's just say 8th grade grammar is a problem for most people in college, but the way our school system pushes flunkies through, it's a small wonder a high school graduate isn't prepared for college).

In any case, it's a generalization not a condemnation of every single person. There are intelligent well-written exceptions out there, but MOST people are dumber than tacks or the average IQ would not still be around 100 with 50% of the population LESS than 100 (which is Forrest Gump territory, IMO). Maybe I don't relate at 155, but the sheer stupidity and ignorance I see on the News every day in everything from people cutting off other people's heads based on disagreements over fictional belief systems to drive-by-shootings over "dissing" or other gang-related nonsense leads me to conclude that your average human being is neither bright or moral. Perhaps the IQ on MacRumors is a good deal above average and so one could get a false impression of humanity here, but try visiting some pop music or car forums and see how and what people post. You might just change your mind about people in general, let alone today's youth. In short, just because you can write doesn't mean "most" people can. Texting over taking typing classes doesn't help anything, in my opinion. Perhaps schools should be offering basic business classes (covering such basic things like doing your own taxes and checkbook balancing which it seems most people cannot or will not do) instead of geology. Your average human would get far more useful information for every day life there whereas hardly anyone enjoys studying rocks or uses it on a daily basis.

And you'd be coming up with generalizations based on no evidence as well. Maybe people have reasons for not wanting to read enormous works of literature. Instead of thinking that, though, insulting the intelligence of the person is so much easier.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Looks like i can't use the old version (2.8) anymore, till couple hours ago everything was working fine, and now i got message that if i want to continue and using Skype, i must download the latest version and i hate it!!! it takes soooo much screen space on my 13" MBP... :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon

I know about this options, but its not the same, i dont have all the option as before (search, credit, to make phone calls...), i cant change the order on the small contact list so i can see first all the ppl that are online\connected and under the offline, and when im enabling the "open chats in new window" every chat will open new window and not like before all in one... for all this i need to have the main Skype window open...

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
I figured out how to keep Skype 2.8 logged in and not prompt to 'Download Now' and quit.

I monitored ingoing and outgoing connections in nettop while Skype was logging in with the following command

$ nettop -m tcp

nettop.png

A subdomain for 'skype.com' quickly showed a SynSent just before the 'Download Now' window appeared.

I added 'ui.skype.com' to /etc/hosts and flushed the dns cache.

$ sudo nano /etc/hosts

hosts.png

$ dscacheutil -flushcache

Now Skype 2.8 should stay logged in!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I figured out how to keep Skype 2.8 logged in and not prompt to 'Download Now' and quit.

I was in the middle of a call when the call tanked out and a window stating "You must upgrade Skype to continue to use the service" popped up.

If I hadn't had to finish that call, I would have cancelled my service right then & there. ...instead of scrambling to quick download their new bloated disorganized spacehog of a UI, a hundred new NSA security holes, broadcasting my "mood message" and rummaging around looking for facebook data. All crap I don't need what is supposed to be a telephone application doing.

If they could only someday figure out how to get it to make calls, maintain the connection, take voicemail, trigger an alert when one comes in, and let us choose to keep or delete after listening. Basic 1997 phone stuff.

This is why people hate microsoft and think they can't do anything right.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

I monitored ingoing and outgoing connections in nettop while Skype was logging in with the following command

$ nettop -m tcp

View attachment 484802

A subdomain for 'skype.com' quickly showed a SynSent just before the 'Download Now' window appeared.

I added 'ui.skype.com' to /etc/hosts and flushed the dns cache.

$ sudo nano /etc/hosts

View attachment 484803

$ dscacheutil -flushcache

Now Skype 2.8 should stay logged in!

All of that effort just to make sure you don't have to get a new version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.