Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
with a mac you can run both OSX and Windows its the best of both worlds something you cannot do with the Surface book

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Eh, I don't think it's that big of a knock against it. The Book is more a convertible laptop you can occasionally use as a pure tablet than an actual standalone tablet like the SP4. It's, er...tabletness is more a bonus feature than a selling point.

edit: though really, I'm not all that stoked about the Surface Book. It's nice, but...eh. I like the actual Surface better.
That's true. But I believe that Microsoft will get dinged for the 3 hour battery life in tablet mode if they don't make it clear in their marketing material the target for the SB vs the SP4.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
After looking at an objective comparison of the surface book to the 13" rMBP, it seems to me that the hardware differences are negligible, unless you care about dedicated graphics (where the surface clearly wins). So the question, as always, is OSX vs Windows. A no brainer for me. And, of course, the Mac can run both. :)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
And it still uses a registry, that alone says a lot.
yea trust me, bec of the registry you can mess up your win because of apps install/uninstall very quickly ...but never mind i used them both, but i already had to clean install my windows 10 once

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
yea trust me, bec of the registry you can mess up your win because of apps install/uninstall very quickly ...but never mind i used them both, but i already had to clean install my windows 10 once

Yea I know.

Renzatic

Suspended

You can always spot someone on a tech site who's either BSing everyone, or doesn't know what they're talking about by how much they gripe about the registry.

Now, I know, chances are good you're an IT profession who's been in the business 50,000 years, and you're going to say that you don't need to justify yourself to me. It's a usual spiel. But you don't really need to, because you're griping about the registry crapping out after 7 months. That tells me just about everything I need to know.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think that Panos did an excellent job with his presentation btw. You can tell these products (well, Surface in particular) are his babies. This is what made Steve's presentations so endearing. He loved the products, and you could tell he invested a lot of his time and energy into them.

You don't get the sense of that from Phil Schiller, or Tim Cook, or Eddie Cue. And of course Sir Jony Ive seems so pretentious, he is basically a walking parody of himself (now that's a conundrum).

Panos is not nearly as polished as Steve, or close to being as charismatic - but he's come a long way as a speaker from the first time I watched a presentation. You could tell he loved those Surfaces. I've never seen Microsoft employees actually genuinely excited for their products before. It was astonishing.

Notice the trainwreck that was the Google event just a few days ago. Those guys were so dispassionate I wondered why I was bothering to watch something that they didn't even seem they wanted to be at.

The guy who did the Lumia presentation cracked me up as well. He was such a ... different ... personality to have on the stage, but it worked!

There was some actual energy in this presentation, something I haven't seen in these tech companies in a little while. Refreshing.

Yeah, it was pretty good and I got the same vibe that you did, he was really - I'd dare to say, emotionally involved in his products - that made him more engaging.

Google keynotes are so bad, they're like watching Plan 9 from Outer Space, so bad, they're good.

Tim is a bit stiff in that bean-counter-operational way, Eddie always seems a little intoxicated - I actually like Craig Federighi, he's a touch scripted, but I think if he was helming all of Apple (and I'd wager, he will be ...), he'd have a more organic delivery (vs. popping in for a demo like an intern).

I'm a big fan of OS X (love the unix underpinnings), and since I prefer other Apple gear, the integration/interop is a big perk, but I've got to say, if I wasn't using a Mac and an iOS device, I would go MS before I'd go Android.

Side note: we're watching Simpsons THOH episodes on FX (Kang says hello :D)

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
After looking at an objective comparison of the surface book to the 13" rMBP, it seems to me that the hardware differences are negligible, unless you care about dedicated graphics (where the surface clearly wins). So the question, as always, is OSX vs Windows. A no brainer for me. And, of course, the Mac can run both. :)
that twice difference is only in games that uses OpenGL...pro apps are using OpenCL and Intel Iris is very capable and clearly not twice as worst

Reactions: Atlantico

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
You can always spot someone on a tech site who's either BSing everyone, or doesn't know what they're talking about by how much they gripe about the registry.

Now, I know, chances are good you're an IT profession who's been in the business 50,000 years, and you're going to say that you don't need to justify yourself to me. It's a usual spiel. But you don't really need to, because you're griping about the registry crapping out after 7 months. That tells me just about everything I need to know.
You like to write and read what you wrote? you are a narcissist we know that now :)

neutralguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2015
Checking the thread and the double standards are interesting. Things Apple would get crucified for MS gets loved and circle jerked. I would think Win10 is the greatest OS ever to be made and we should just stop making OS's, ban every other OS and give em 100% marketshare. I will ignore all those issues I read about, and I read about many, many issues with it. It gets a free pass I guess because.... I don't know. The verge was right after-all "MS is ready to be loved again." So they're ready boys, lube them hands up.

Check your double standards though. Honestly, check them, think really hard and see those double standards right in your face. Used Windows 10 and I wasn't blown away by any means. Wasn't by Yosemite either so I am still on Mavericks. IMO screw both of the OS's and let's get something new. It's been time for another OS to take some spotlight. SteamOS, a pushed version of linux, whatever.

I guess the Xbox One issues with interface lag I had on now 3 systems was all in my head too. Those absolutely insane DRM polices never were attempted either.

IMO: All current OS's look like crap and are buggy cause they try to do too much. Even Windows. (Which apparently never has issues here... odd.) Flat, boring and too much dead space and too bright.

And screw this glue and non-upgradeable Ram and memory. Tech geeks stand for this now? Why doesn't the Surface book get flak for that? Oh because Windows OS is perfection, I missed the memo. I will get to it. AT&T exclusive phones? Don't see a peep about that either, maybe I missed it. If you're going to hate, be equal opportunity at least.
Wasn't iPhone AT&T exclusive at the beginning?
Why do you want to upgrade ram and memory of an tablet? It's not supposed to be a desktop or notebook.

I don't understand your logic at all.

Renzatic

Suspended
That's true. But I believe that Microsoft will get dinged for the 3 hour battery life in tablet mode if they don't make it clear in their marketing material the target for the SB vs the SP4.

Shouldn't be too hard. They'll be advertising that 10 hour battery life for the SP4, and 12 hour life on the Book (with a disclaimer in parenthesis) like there's no tomorrow.

Though the one thing that's been a bit misleading is that the Book altogether is about 3 pounds. It's a little bit lighter than the equivalent MBP, but still a lot heavier than what's been reported on tech sites.

braintumor

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
WOW Microsoft, I never thought I will say this:

"I'm very impressed with Microsoft, great job!!!"

I just hope this pushes Apple to go more forward and push harder, especially with the iPad Pro, it should have a hybrid OS! Right now, its nothing more then just a bigger iPad.

If Apple doesn't start to truly innovative and make revolutionary steps instead of these evolutionary steps, I will go back to MS... Windows 10 is already the best windows and I like the way MS is pushing these days.

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
I have been using macosx for the last couple weeks and I am not sure what everyone is praising it about. It is much slower than using Windows 10 and the App Store is a joke when compared to Windows. The windows store has lots of good apps but the Apple Store is mostly junk. The only good thing I can say is that Safari is good and it syncs with the iPhone but other than that I think Windows 10 is a much better OS with much better performance.

I like the GUI in OS X better overall. More consistent between apps, for example Preferences always in the same place and with keyboard shortcut "cmd ,".

It's also easier to navigate between apps when having many open at the same time, since the app switcher only shows open apps and not all open windows. This easily becomes messy in Windows, although Windows 10 has improved on this compared to previous versions. I also like the Quick Look feature in OS X, and that you're able to search/filter out menu items from the help menu. Also like that you can change or add a keyboard shortcut to any menu item. Like to have a built in dictionary to look up words easily (maybe that's in Windows 10 too?). I like being able to tag items in the Finder. I like to be able to have folder in the Dock that I can browse directly from there. I like the font rendering much better in OS X – looks more like how the text looks in print.

Just some examples from the top of my head.

And many third party apps in Windows still has Windows 95 GUI look. It's not coherent. Much more so in OS X.

What apps are there in the Windows Store that are so good? I think there are quite a few good ones in the Mac App Store too, but the best source for finding apps is MacUpdate I think. They also have this software update service (usable on up to five computers) you can subscribe to which – while not flawless – saves a lot of time when it comes to keeping software up-to-date that wasn't installed from the App Store.

So, in general I feel OS X requires less attention compared to Windows.

Last edited:

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
What would happen in the PC market if Microsoft made Windows 10 to ONLY work on their MSdevices?

LLIBSETAG

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2009
Apple MacBook Pro runs Mac OS X, UNIX, Linux, AND Windows OS with Intel + Boot Camp. Why buy a MSBook?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.