Microsoft Shifts Smart Watch Prototype Testing to Surface Hardware Team

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 15, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following last week's management shuffle at Microsoft, the company's Surface team has taken over testing its prototype smart watch, including variations with the same connector that Microsoft uses on its Surface tablets. According to The Verge, Microsoft's smart watch prototypes were previously tested by the Xbox accessories team.
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft Smart Watch Concept via Fortune.com
    In addition to a potential Surface connector that could allow a smart watch to interface with existing Surface tablets, Microsoft is also said to be testing smart watches that have 1 1.5-inch display, a heart rate monitor, and are running a modified version of Windows 8.

As Microsoft experiments with its smart watch, it appears Apple is in the prototype stages as well. According to a report yesterday, Apple has begun "aggressively" hiring new employees to help with the smart watch, which is now expected to be released in late 2014. Apple's own smart watch is expected to run the full version of iOS and could include a heavy focus on biometrics and health related applications.

Along with Microsoft and Apple, both Google and Samsung are said to be working on smart watches of their own. At this point in time, it seems all companies are in the testing phases with no indication of which smart watch might hit the market first.

Article Link: Microsoft Shifts Smart Watch Prototype Testing to Surface Hardware Team

2. Jack97, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

macrumors regular

Jack97

Honestly, if apple announced they were working on a magical iBrick these other companies would start developing one as well. :rolleyes:

3. macrumors 6502

'watch this space'

'only time will tell'

any others you can think of?

4. macrumors 68030

bbeagle

According to Microsoft fans, a Microsoft watch won't be good unless it's a full computer and runs all Windows programs including Office.
    :rolleyes:

5. macrumors member

Microsoft about to save the watch game like a memory card.

6. macrumors 6502

Just what I always wanted - Windows 8 on my wrist! NOT!!

7. macrumors regular

Jack97

I hope everyone else releases their smart watches first, so apple can blow them out the water when the time comes :D

8. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

The live tiles of windows 8 actually are perfect for a watch. This should be interesting.

9. macrumors 6502

ka-spot

This is awesome, but I'm waiting for rMBP release :D

10. macrumors 68020

Had to wear one of those for 24 hours recently. So uncomfortable. Hope Apple doesn't go down that route with the iWatch.

11. macrumors G3

roadbloc

All this focus on damn watches. I couldn't care less about watches. I wish the tech industry would focus on something else.

12. macrumors 6502

chumawumba

Just what Microsoft needs.

Another piece of ****** nobody is going to buy.

13. macrumors member

This right here.

14. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

A modified version of windows 8? By the time it's been completely modified to run on your wrist the only thing it will have in common with windows 8 is it's tiles.

15. macrumors regular

I simply can't imagine myself ever wearing one.

16. macrumors 68000

Parasprite

After looking at the photograph, it is clear that the  watch will be much better than the Microsoft one.:D

/bait

17. macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think it could be really interesting to see what all these companies are developing. A ton of companies developing smartwatches in parrallel is much better than Apple releasing an iPhone/iPad and then everybody else rushes to copy. There is a lot more potential for innovation in this space

18. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

Someone will buy it but it's still too soon to say how bad it'll be.

19. macrumors G5

All relative. It's more about seamless integration. And if you're an iOS user - I'm guessing Apple will provide a superior product for iOS users. And conversely - if you're a MS user - then their smartwatch will offer better integration for their ecosystem.

A lot of people want iOS fully on their wrist. No different. Oh - I get it - this was a jab against Microsoft fans?

A lot of companies have been working on smart watches - long before Apple "announced" they were working on one.

20. macrumors newbie

Reboot

So tell me again, how do you do a CTRL-ALT-DEL on one of these?

21. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

No one really imagined the iPhone and iPad to take off. I think a lot of people will be surprised.

22. macrumors 6502a

of course you left out the part about possibly using Oxynitride Aluminum

23. macrumors 6502

[...]1.5-inch display, a heart rate monitor, and are running a modified version of Windows 8.

Don't forget a kickstand, consumers love kickstands.

24. macrumors 68020

Ballmer was quoted "Time is on our side."

25. macrumors G5

Consultant

Sad that so many companies are trying to kill rumored Apple products now.