Microsoft Shifts Smart Watch Prototype Testing to Surface Hardware Team

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 15, 2013.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Following last week's management shuffle at Microsoft, the company's Surface team has taken over testing its prototype smart watch, including variations with the same connector that Microsoft uses on its Surface tablets. According to The Verge, Microsoft's smart watch prototypes were previously tested by the Xbox accessories team.
    Microsoft Smart Watch Concept via
    In addition to a potential Surface connector that could allow a smart watch to interface with existing Surface tablets, Microsoft is also said to be testing smart watches that have 1 1.5-inch display, a heart rate monitor, and are running a modified version of Windows 8.

As Microsoft experiments with its smart watch, it appears Apple is in the prototype stages as well. According to a report yesterday, Apple has begun "aggressively" hiring new employees to help with the smart watch, which is now expected to be released in late 2014. Apple's own smart watch is expected to run the full version of iOS and could include a heavy focus on biometrics and health related applications.

Along with Microsoft and Apple, both Google and Samsung are said to be working on smart watches of their own. At this point in time, it seems all companies are in the testing phases with no indication of which smart watch might hit the market first.

Article Link: Microsoft Shifts Smart Watch Prototype Testing to Surface Hardware Team
  2. Jack97, Jul 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2013

Jack97 macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2010
    Honestly, if apple announced they were working on a magical iBrick these other companies would start developing one as well. :rolleyes:
  3. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Apr 6, 2010
    'watch this space'

'only time will tell'

any others you can think of?
  4. bbeagle macrumors 68030

Oct 19, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    According to Microsoft fans, a Microsoft watch won't be good unless it's a full computer and runs all Windows programs including Office.
  5. Bladers macrumors member

Aug 31, 2012
    Microsoft about to save the watch game like a memory card.
  6. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Just what I always wanted - Windows 8 on my wrist! NOT!!
  7. Jack97 macrumors regular

Nov 30, 2010
    I hope everyone else releases their smart watches first, so apple can blow them out the water when the time comes :D
  8. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

Jan 6, 2009
    The live tiles of windows 8 actually are perfect for a watch. This should be interesting.
  9. ka-spot macrumors 6502

May 23, 2012
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    This is awesome, but I'm waiting for rMBP release :D
  10. Shaun, UK macrumors 68030

Mar 23, 2006
    Had to wear one of those for 24 hours recently. So uncomfortable. Hope Apple doesn't go down that route with the iWatch.
  11. roadbloc macrumors G3

Aug 24, 2009
    All this focus on damn watches. I couldn't care less about watches. I wish the tech industry would focus on something else.
  12. chumawumba macrumors 6502

Aug 9, 2012
    Ask the NSA
    Just what Microsoft needs.

Another piece of ****** nobody is going to buy.
  13. Bladers macrumors member

Aug 31, 2012
    This right here.
  14. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

May 7, 2011
    A modified version of windows 8? By the time it's been completely modified to run on your wrist the only thing it will have in common with windows 8 is it's tiles.
  15. taxiapple macrumors regular

Jun 9, 2009
    I simply can't imagine myself ever wearing one.
  16. Parasprite macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2013
    After looking at the photograph, it is clear that the  watch will be much better than the Microsoft one.:D

17. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 68040

Mad Mac Maniac

Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think it could be really interesting to see what all these companies are developing. A ton of companies developing smartwatches in parrallel is much better than Apple releasing an iPhone/iPad and then everybody else rushes to copy. There is a lot more potential for innovation in this space
  18. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

May 7, 2011
    Someone will buy it but it's still too soon to say how bad it'll be.
  19. samcraig macrumors P6

Jun 22, 2009
    All relative. It's more about seamless integration. And if you're an iOS user - I'm guessing Apple will provide a superior product for iOS users. And conversely - if you're a MS user - then their smartwatch will offer better integration for their ecosystem.

A lot of people want iOS fully on their wrist. No different. Oh - I get it - this was a jab against Microsoft fans?

A lot of companies have been working on smart watches - long before Apple "announced" they were working on one.
  20. LazyBrush macrumors newbie

Jun 8, 2012
    UK, (my heart is in the highlands)

So tell me again, how do you do a CTRL-ALT-DEL on one of these?
  21. lolkthxbai macrumors 65816

May 7, 2011
    No one really imagined the iPhone and iPad to take off. I think a lot of people will be surprised.
  22. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2011
    of course you left out the part about possibly using Oxynitride Aluminum
  23. Unggoy Murderer macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2011
    Livingston, Scotland
    [...]1.5-inch display, a heart rate monitor, and are running a modified version of Windows 8.

Don't forget a kickstand, consumers love kickstands.
  24. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Oct 14, 2011
    Ballmer was quoted "Time is on our side."
  25. Consultant macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    Sad that so many companies are trying to kill rumored Apple products now.