Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft may be gearing up to launch a new Xbox One gaming console in 2016, with a download-only device that would be noticeably smaller than the current Xbox One and enter the market as a potential rival to the new Apple TV. According to a report from Petri IT Knowledgebase (via Business Insider), the console would also see a price cut to match the current market of streaming-centric devices.
xbox-one-apple-tv-rival-800x290.jpg
Keeping with the Xbox brand, the slimmer Xbox One would be able to download games from the Windows Store, but the power restraints of a smaller box would likely prevent access to the full Xbox games store. This casual-leaning app marketplace is another category in which the Xbox would compete directly with the new Apple TV, which introduced a similar App Store for the first time on Apple's living room device when it launched in October. The report gave no mention as to whether the Siri-like Kinect would be integrated as well.

Microsoft is said to be looking at a late 2016 launch for the new Xbox One, which would be sold in concert with current models akin to the slimmed down Xbox 360 S that launched five years after the original 360. The company has introduced design refreshes and low-tier prices on its gaming consoles in the past: as low as $199 for the 256MB Xbox 360 Arcade and 4GB Xbox 360 E. Although the Xbox One has seen multiple price cuts, it's yet to have a major hardware overhaul.

Article Link: Microsoft Considering Smaller Xbox One as Potential Apple TV Rival

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
More than likely it wouldn't be primarily for gaming but more importantly to compete with Apple, Amazon and Google as a movie/tv streaming box. So far there is no living-room streaming device for Microsofts video service for people who are not interested in big and noisy game consoles.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I don't think it will work out. Apple TV is an actual set top box, which delivers a lot different kinds of content: movies, tv shows, music, games and apps. This small Xbox they're talking about would be no more than a gaming set top box, maybe with access to a few mediocre apps. It's bound to become a flop. :p

I'm not saying the Apple TV is waaaay better. But Apple just does the content delivery best thanks to the App Store.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The last time Microsoft overlooked Apple entering a market they were in, they got wrecked. However unlikely that seems to be here, it's smart for them to make a move like this. Sony has been dominating them in the current generation, so they can't afford to start getting undercut by Apple as well. Furthermore, the Nintendo NX is rumored to be coming, and some rumors say that it will be a smaller box that somehow relies on cloud computing or connecting multiple devices together to increase graphics power. This space is going to be really interesting over the coming years. I look forward to increased competition.

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
The Xbox One is underpowered enough. MS wouldn't segment their market like this. Come on. Who would possibly think this is even remotely true?

This is one of the dumbest rumors I've ever read on here.

Reactions: Gudi and Orlandoech

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I didn't realise that I was at WinRumors
From time to time, MacRumors reports on Apple's competitors. The Apple TV is now a gaming platform with full controller support. The Xbox One is now a fully-featured media platform. They're competition. MacRumors has reported on Microsoft for many years, as well as Samsung, Google, Dropbox, and many other competitors. You're not new here, you should know this.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
A bit too late MS. Lousy marketing. As usual, MS has the pieces in place with all kinds of potential but just can't put them together.

Reactions: e-coli

themoose

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2014
I didn't realise that I was at WinRumors

it would be MicRumors

also, the benefit to a smaller xbox "streamer" would be that if you have a regular xbox one you could potentially stream regular games to the cheaper version on a different tv the way you can to windows 10. could have a ton of potential for gamers and separate it from the competition (aka the apple tv hence the relevance for this article on this website).

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
A bit too late MS. Lousy marketing. As usual, MS has the pieces in place with all kinds of potential but just can't put them together.
What's funny is I used to be a Microsoft Partner, and marketing is all they pretty much did for us. However, compared with Apple's marketing:
Apple Marketing: Life is great when you have our products
Microsoft Marketing: Life will suck without our products, and that thing you bought last week that we sold you is now a piece of crap.

Never have I seen a company (as a company, mind you) that throws it's own work down the toilet so regularly (with each release cycle).

Reactions: rekhyt

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
it would be MicRumors

also, the benefit to a smaller xbox "streamer" would be that if you have a regular xbox one you could potentially stream regular games to the cheaper version on a different tv the way you can to windows 10. could have a ton of potential for gamers and separate it from the competition (aka the apple tv hence the relevance for this article on this website).
That is actually not a bad idea from a customer perspective. My first thought was a smaller XB1 streamer would be stupid, but I would actually like something like this (your idea) for Forza for instance. Right now, when my buds come over, we do split screen racing. A second TV supporting that second racer would be nice. Not sure how they would work on the possible latency, but nice idea nonetheless.

Reactions: Sandstorm

Sethal

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I was totally excited until I realized this wasn't the slimmed down download Xbox One I've been waiting for. I love my Xbox One, although something a quarter of the size that totally ditches the optical drive would be nice. Just needs to be able to access everything my full size Xbox One can. Otherwise it's pointless.

Reactions: Sandstorm

b11051973

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
This is an old rumor rehashed from the Xbox 360 days. There were rumors years ago about an Xbox 360 without an optical drive to be released.

I would be curious where it will be sold. Stores like Gamestop sure won't sell one. Gamestop won't even sell consoles that only include download pack-in games. They require consoles they sell to have physical copies of pack-in games, so they can be sold to Gamestop for $5 and resold for $50.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
This will only be successful if it can play full blown XBox One games (via download). If it only plays lighter games that are ports of mobile games... it is DOA because they will not lure the developers into the ecosystem.

They could just sell a box that contains the raw hardware of an XBox One, without the Blue Ray drive. Include 128 GB of flash storage. Include only a remote. Market it as a streaming box for $199. Then sell add-ons that could give it the full functionality of the XBox One. USB HDD for expanded storage. XBox One controller to play XBox One games. External Bluray drive to play physical copies of game. (Or skip buying the Bluray drive and buy digital downloads only!)

Alenore

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2013
The Xbox One is underpowered enough. MS wouldn't segment their market like this. Come on. Who would possibly think this is even remotely true?

This is one of the dumbest rumors I've ever read on here.
"Why would Apple segment their market with two different sizes of phone ?"

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
This would time well to also combat the Nintendo NX introduction. Everyone dismisses Nintendo, but there is a big audience of Nintendo fans that are patiently waiting for the Wii U to die, so they can buy the new Zelda game on a shiny new console (me included)

To be honest, Microsoft are probably due to to make a V.2 version of the XB1 anyway because it's a massive beastly poorly designed Betamax box which despite being enormous, shill has an external power brick

captain cadet

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
From time to time, MacRumors reports on Apple's competitors. The Apple TV is now a gaming platform with full controller support. The Xbox One is now a fully-featured media platform. They're competition. MacRumors has reported on Microsoft for many years, as well as Samsung, Google, Dropbox, and many other competitors. You're not new here, you should know this.
I know that and I was trying to take the cake with new members posting these posts - But I forgot to put commas round my post.... I'm an idiot

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
If this is true, they should really think hard about giving it a new/different name. I can't imagine how many people will get an 'Xbox' as a present along with the latest Call of Duty or Halo game only to realize that they're incompatible.

Every previous Xbox refresh meant that the system was able to play all games of that console so people didn't lose their game library.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
It's a start. I bet you the next gen consoles (PS5, XBO2) will no longer have optical disc drives in them no more. All games will be downloaded or streamed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.