Microsoft Snubs Standards with IE8

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 21, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

Hardly surprising that IE fails the Acid test - it's IE. Microsoft needs to wake up and learn that the internet is changing around them and that they need to comply with open standards. Hopefully that wake up call will come soon with their dwindling market share, but that may be too much to expect from Microsoft.

3. macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Hardly surprising. MS makes their own standards because they have cash to burn. And those standards are usually crap.

4. macrumors member

Who cares about IE. It's known to suck. Firefox FTW!!!

5. macrumors G3

Kilamite

6. macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

comon microsoft! get your act together sheesh..

7. macrumors 6502a

Safari 4. The WebKit binaries have also been able to get 100 for a long time.

8. macrumors 601

That may well be true, but IE is still the vast majority of users out there. Anybody that makes websites for general use better care about it or they severely limit their market.

9. macrumors G4

Chundles

The version of mobile safari in iPhone 3.0 beta gets a 97 too. Makes the other mobile browsers look a bit naff.

10. macrumors G4

No, it does not. No mistake that Microsoft is the 600 pound gorilla in the market, but it has lost momentum to the spider monkeys. This move to flaunt W3C standards in IE8 is a strategic mistake--a critical strategic mistake. Charles Colson, convicted Nixon Administration official of Watergate scandal fame, said:

This move might have worked when the Redmond Monopoly had the World by the b@ll$. It doesn't anymore. Today the Windows community has options and it knows it. There will be some Microsoft sheep among web developers who will follow the Redmond Monopoly over the cliff. Others will turn their backs on Microsoft and not look back.

11. macrumors 601

Unfortunately there are far too many business websites that require IE for the business world to snub it. Just one example: if you get paid by ADP, you can't view your account information or paycheck on anything other than IE, period. When this situation changes maybe we will have a chance of ditching IE, but not until then. And I don't see that happening anytime soon. ADP and others that cater to business knows that business is almost exclusively MS, so they cater to that market and have no incentive to change.

12. macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, but why Microsoft would care about it? IE still represent over two thirds of the browsers. It would be insane to do a website which follows standards but is not IE-compatible. So, this "standards" issue may be useful for Opera or Chrome, but not to IE.

13. macrumors 604

zap2

Basically MS is abusing it OS market share to be a jerk about standards for Opera, FF, Chrome and Safari.

IE wouldn't have 1/2 that market share if it weren't for coming with Windows.

14. macrumors 65816

"Advertising...advertising...advertising...advertising...fix Vista...advertising...advertising...advertising...fix Vista..." :D

Relax, I'm kidding. :cool:

15. macrumors member

Answer to you Danny :D Also, I'd like to add that all Windows Users cannot remove IE from their operating system even if they're not using it, so basically you're counted as a user. I have it on my PCs, and it was only used to download Firefox!

16. macrumors 68030

skaertus

Who knows? Windows 7 will make it possible to choose another web browser. Let's see how IE Explorer will hold up against Firefox then.

You could also say that Safari wouldn't have 8% of market share if it didn't come with MacOS...

17. macrumors member

Very true :D. Also, I read somewhere that Windows 7 will allow you to remove IE which is probably the first thing I'll do!

18. macrumors 604

zap2

Ok....but as long as Windows ships with just IE, that point is some what prove by W7. Its possible to use FF, Opera, Safari, Chrome, etc as your main browser now, but as long as peopling buying PC are ignorant to other browsers, that won't matter

And I'd say you'd have a darn good point!

But Safari seems to be meeting more standard the IE8(and even if it wasn't, who would care? Apple's market share is small enough that few companies would waste time supporting Safari..Apple would be forced to change..MS can force web sites to support it)

19. macrumors 68030

skaertus

Yes, but the thing is... Windows 7 will make it possible to "turn off" IE. Will that help competition, perhaps? I think it will depend on how this feature is implemented... but I think Microsoft will do it in a way to maintain the lion market share.

Yes, that's the point. Microsoft plays the tune, and everybody else has to dance.

20. macrumors 68040

eastercat

The sites that are IE only get one of two responses. If I am forced to use it, I break out VMWare and hold my nose. Otherwise, that site can kiss my cat's anal sacs. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

Protip: When Internet Explorer fails ACID tests, it's because they hate standards and kill puppies for profit. When Firefox fails ACID tests, it's because they're irrelevant and only test little used parts of the standard rather than demonstrate real-world rendering accuracy.

22. macrumors 68030

Analog Kid

It'll be the mobile browsers that break IE's stranglehold. Right now, sites cover 75% of their traffic (or whatever it is) with one flavor of their code, another 15% (or whatever it is) with a Firefox flavor, another 8% (or whatever it is) with a Safari flavor, etc... In general, most sites take an "IE and my favorite underdog" approach.

As every other browser moves more and more towards standards, they'll be able to support all browsers with two flavors: IE and everyone else. Because it suddenly gets easier, more sites will begin to give a fuller experience to everyone else. That will already begin to tip the balance a bit as people who don't prefer IE but use it to avoid compatibility headaches can now leave IE because there are now fewer and fewer compatibility headaches.

The rise of mobile browsers is going to continue to push down IE's share. This is also where sites are going to go to compete for new business. As the market share shifts, and priorities shift, sites will start writing for everyone else first, and IE second.

Maybe it's all just wishful thinking, but I really think the world has changed but MS is still fighting the last war.
    Even the best hypocrisy arguments are going to have a hard time papering over a 20% success rate...

23. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

That's the fault of the site owner, and less and less sites are making that short-sited decision.

So then as all the "underdogs" are standards compliant everyone can see the site 99% correct ;).

24. macrumors 6502a

I wonder what would IE's market share be if it wasn't bundled with Windows.
    What a horrible browser. Typical Microsoft Product.

25. macrumors 6502a

If the ACID3 test is irrelevant then any performance between 0% and 100% is irrelevant. If the ACID3 test is relevant then any performance below 95% is awful.

If runner A would fly with a 70% successful landing rate, but runner B would fly with a 20% successful landing rate, then it really doesn't matter how hard a time runner B has papering over his poor flying skills - neither of them are pilots and the simulator is just a bit of fun.

On the other hand, if pilot A has a 70% successful landing rate, and pilot B only has a 20% successful landing rate, they're both not fit to be pilots. For A to brag to B, "ha! I've used the ejector seat way less than you!" is true but worthless.

No-one expects IE to be a pilot. Webkit already is a successful pilot. Firefox is the loud-talking pilot with a 70% safety record.