Microsoft Spell Check Annoyances

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CoMpX, Nov 29, 2005.

1. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I have an odd problem with Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac Version 11.1. When I use spell check, it will not let me add any words to the dictionary that it thinks are misspelled. (ex. my last name) It just has the "Add" button greyed out. I have the exact same program on my iBook G4 and there is no problem there. Please help me, thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I forget the details, but I'll take a guess. Perhaps you have to tell Word that you want to have a personal dictionary, not just the Microsoft-provided one, and only personal dictionaries can be added to. That would mean you have a preference setting to make, for example: Word -> Preferences -> Spelling and Grammar -> Dictionaries -> New. Or one of the other settings in that dialog box.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not a bad guess... ;)

Click the Options button (attacment 1) to get the Spelling and Grammar window. Click Dictionaries (attachment 2) and check the Custom Dictionary (make one if you have to) (attacment 3). :)

Attached Files:

4. CoMpX thread starter macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Thanks so much. That did the trick.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And be prepared to get lots and lots of underlined words in your documents if you spell thing in "real" english rather than American English. I don't know why, but I have to add lots of British-"spelt" words into my dictionary manually even when English (UK) is selected in the language options of MS Office. :rolleyes:

Absolutely no love for non-Americans from MS.

6. Road ed macrumors newbie

Microsoft Word 11.1 spell check help...

I have just upgraded to a new iMac (very nice it is too), but, within a week of turning the mac on, Microsoft Word had randomly got rid of my spell checking function... in tools menu.
    Now I can not access it at all... which is a real pain.

Anyone else had this issue?
    Know how to resolve it?

Or can I add a spell checker that's compatible from anywhere?

Help!!!

proyle@roadmagazine.co.uk