Microsoft starts producing own hardware?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Tymmz, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

In an interview Steve Ballmer told a german newspaper that "if it's necessary to sell software we are willing to produce our own hardware".

Ballmer said the X-Box was an exception, but Microsoft is now more open towards exceptions.

Because of their financal results last quarter, which were good, but not as good as analysts hoped for, Microsoft wants to re-organize themself.

It interesting to see what they will come up with.

LINK to german newshttp://boerse.ard.de/content.jsp?key=dokument_160842

2. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Oh God sakes! Their earnings weren't AS good, but their still probably the highest earning joke-of-a-company in the world. Can't they just carry on making their crappy OS's, that come around once every few years, building in features that Mac and Linux had many a year ago - then forcing them down our throats on every beige box around.

I despise Microsoft. No really. I hate them.

Apple's are good. Very good. :D

..Morning rant over.

Another thing.. instead of building hardware, try, I dunno, I'm just gonna throw this out there.. building as OS from scratch without the millions of flaws like the old one?

From what I understand, there have been a few flaws found recently in Macs, where viruses are concerned - but Windoze, well, its a joke.

Before making crappy machinery, better your crappy OS at least.

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As much as they suck at making software (Windows in particular), now they want to make hardware! :eek: :rolleyes:

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Someone here has a sig line: "The only thing that Microsoft could make that wouldn't suck is a hoover..." (I paraphrase)

'nuff said.:D

5. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Actually, they have been making hardware since the 80's. Their hardware division is of much better quality than their software division, as I have never had a failing Microsoft mouse or natural keyboard. Actually, they were groundbreaking products ergonomics-wise!

That said, I'm actually writing this post on my work PC using a Microsoft natural keyboard and am going to soon grab a Microsoft mouse. Oh, on another thought, I'm going to grab a coffee cup instead. But anyway. They have been making hardware for ages.

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

classic line there :D but soo true

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Oh how true. :)

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Good point, I forgot about that. :eek: Still the thought of M$ expanding their hardware making efforts is a bit scary. :)

9. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Perhaps Microsoft and Dell should merge, the world doesn't need more crappy hardware in land fills. By merging, they have the opportunity to improve both products.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'd like to see them make computers. I'd like to see how the PC makers react.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So if you have crappy software installed onto crappy hardware, does that result in a "crappy system" x 2, or a "crappy system^2". :confused:

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Prolly an attempt to keep Dell, Gateway, et al. in line.

Buy Windows or face the wrath of Gates with hardware subsidized by renewal contracts on office/windows.

13. Tymmz thread starter macrumors 65816

Tymmz

Very good point. I totally forgot about it.

It's right, their peripherals are great products, as far as I know.

14. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

Or is it like multiplying two negatives and getting a positive? Probably not:D

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

That would be interesting indeed. :eek: :)

16. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Well one that would likly piss off the other PC makers(if they gave there software a edge on MS hardware)

a but it might be well Spec, and made if they made high end units, based on what i hear about there mice, and i'm a fan of xBox

17. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

I dunno, my wireless M$ mouse is pretty slick...even has the right amount of buttons :p

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

And how many buttons is that- One? ;) :p :)

19. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

I wouldn't trust microsoft hardware. I've used microsoft mice and keyboards at work, and soon bought in my own, and really, they won't comfortable at all. Not one bit.

For me, it'll always be Logitech for everything ( mice, keyboards, BT headsets etc ). Logitech means reliability and quality ( pretty much everything that microsoft lacks ).

20. iTwitch macrumors 6502a

iTwitch

I had a MS (dovebar) mouse back around 1990 and it was the nicest mouse I've ever owned. Solidly built and white, I'd love to have a BT version to go with my iBook.

21. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Microsoft controls both the hardware and software and switches to IBM for their CPU. Runs older classic Windows programs under emulation.
    Apple opens to all PC vendors and eventually stops selling hardware. That would be so weird.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, I really enjoy using Logitech mice and keyboards- high quality. :)

23. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

The hardware would probably be overpriced, thus uncompetitive. If, on the other hand, it was priced competitively, MS would probably run into monopolising issues. They cant take over the entire computer market after all. ;) :rolleyes:

24. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

I use both a Logitech MX 1000 and a Microsoft Trackball Explorer. I love both.

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    A cowOrker of mine who is more MS based says that Vista won't run on much of anything because the specs are so high. (DP or DC processor(s)) Metric buttload of memory, huge disk etc. Dell etc don't want to make boxen to run it since the components are so expensive it cuts into margins.

It could be that the best thing for MS to do is shop out the PC design and manufacture to Apple who has experience in high end hardware.