microsoft student pricing sucks

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by plunar, Dec 21, 2006.

1. plunar macrumors 6502

plunar

unless you already have a licensed copy of windows, you must buy a full retail copy. $60 student pricing is for "upgrades" only. i've checked 2 state schools and columbia, and it looks about the same everywhere.

$299. even Virtual PC with XP Pro is only $249.

real smooth ms. real ****ing smooth. and on top of that i still need to buy autocad and primavera - but at least they have versions for student budgets as opposed to 7 figure corporate it budgets.

2. bit density macrumors 6502

Checked one site. The price for Home Media Edition was 129 (not an upgrade). Many schools will provide even cheaper keys for thier students.

Didn't try very hard did you.

3. Canerican macrumors regular

I got Microsoft XP for $5.50, I got MS Works for free, Mac Works for $5.50. I think that its pretty good. :confused:

But you need to go to my school to get those prices... actually any state school in NY gets those prices.

http://www.ubmicro.buffalo.edu/msproducts.php

I just saw OS X for $69. :D I guess I can ge OS X 15.

4. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

well columbia and city college are both very much in ny state, and they sure as hell aren't giving me those prices. columbia doesn't even have an agreement with microsoft for students - the only offer is through dell. and at columbia dell only offers an "upgrade" version of XP with a student discount. city college (read: state) doesn't even sell software to students.

5. deathdruid macrumors member

Try eBay

I bought a full version of XP Professional off eBay for $120 a couple of years ago. Should be cheaper now that Vista is out.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

the student pricing i think depends on the school. where i went to in south florida, it was 12 bucks for xp and ms office (windows, don't think they had macs). at another, larger college 30 minutes away sold it for 75 bucks. so it's totally up to the school and their offer. i think ms is very lieant on pricing...

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

to be fair, Vista isn't really out, in the sense that it's not available for consumers, only businesses.

check eBay or newegg.

8. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its a little more restrictive, but just get yourself an OEM copy.

9. Canerican macrumors regular

Actually provate colleges aren't funded by the state - they only get grants... I am talking about SUNY colleges, which are funded wholly by the state...

Do you go to Columbia? I was thinking about applying there, UB isn't very challenging - its the best state college, and have put very little effort in and still wound up in the top 15%... If you go there, how is it?

10. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

$299? u must be kidding me, even retail version XP home is cheaper than that!.

11. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Does this really suprise you? Everything to do with M$ sucks, except Office and even that isnt great. :rolleyes: :D

12. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Did you actually see the price listed or did someone tell you this off hand? It seems like someone was trying to rip you off from what the others are telling you.

13. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

Hint: Windows XP Pro can upgrade from any previous version of windows 95+

Go find an old 95 UPGRADE cd laying in someones attic.

Also remember buying XP now entitles you to an upgrade to vista when it comes out with only a processing fee. http://www.microsoft.com/athome/techguarantee/worldwide.mspx

14. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

the $299 quote is what the Dell rep told me. Columbia has some contract with dell as their pc vendor, so any "discount" goes through them.

columbia is great. i'm actually a grad student. but it's just ****ing hard. i can count on 1 hand the number of times i was able to enjoy myself on a friday night. but it's very rewarding.

15. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

Got my copy of Windows XP Pro for $20, same with Office XP.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, how about check compusa.com amazon.com bestbuy.com buy.com pcmall.com or whatever retail website, lol. the windows xp home edition is $199, pro is $299 with mutiple cpu support (physically separate cpus), and you go any student discount, it should be cheaper than that :rolleyes:

17. Canerican macrumors regular

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Go for the OEM editions, you only loose support (and the ability to transfer the licence.) XP Pro OEM is only $139 on NewEgg, XP Home should be less than that.

19. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

i still don't get the difference between "home" and "pro." is it marketing?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not entirely, Pro has multi-processor and better networking support than Home. See this on Paul Thurrot's site for more.

21. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Everything about Microsoft sucks ....... They are crap and so are their products.

Dave :)

22. plunar thread starter macrumors 6502

plunar

reads to me like microsoft basically had one XP in house, then worked really hard to figure out how they could cripple it just enough to justify jacking up the price for what should be had just been "XP" - and called it pro.

that's marketing. like a "sale" at Macy's.

23. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Microsoft XP Professional is $79 at a local college here. You can only use it on two computers though, but for $79, you can't really complain.

24. Canerican macrumors regular

I guess my school is realy good for pricing...