Microsoft Sued for Weak Security

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Oct 3, 2003.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Full Article.

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Ugh. Lawsuits are becoming too frequent, and definitely too frivolous.

This is not one of those lawsuits.

If this is the only way for Microsoft to realize the responsibility they have, and the steps they must take to ensure that their systems are secure as possible, so be it. It seems they haven't learned any other way.

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    beat me to the post...

but, i am not so sure this is a great idea in the big scheme of things.

while i would LOVE to see microsoft sued again, if this were to somehow succeed, all software companies, including apple, would noW be responcible for things that are very hard to find and prevent. this would lead to price increases for software so that the company can pad thier bottom line in case a bid suit comes thier way.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm glad...I feel that negligence in programming should be subject to litigation. I think that in many instances, the software company whose software is susceptible to viruses, etc., is just as culpable as the hacker who exploited the susceptibility. Many lawsuits set BAD PRECEDENT, but this one sets a good precedent.

5. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

There is a post about this in the MacBytes discussion area, but I will repeat myself a little:

All EULAs in the industry right now indemnify the software maker from any liabilities. There isn't even a guarantee that the software will run, let alone be bug-free, or ultra secure. So this lawsuit is going to go down in flames.

This is something that we as computer users are going to have to get more used to. It's true that the chinks in MS' armor have been revealed lately, but at the same time there have been a host of exploits found in *nix OS too. (SSH, OpenSSL etc etc..)

Microsoft is easy to blame, but if Linux or OS X were number one, I really believe we would be seeing the same issues. Any programmer can tell you that a 1-off error is frighteningly easy to make, and that is often what leads to these big security holes. So get used to it folks--and get a firewall.

6. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I agree 100%, as good and secure as OS X is, I think people would just as easily find exploits if they could actually be bothered and if it was worth their time. Lucky for us, at present, it isn't :D

7. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Ugh, I just read a more complete article about this on news.com (it's currently the main headline) and get this--The attorney who filed the lawsuit says that the Windows EULA that all customers agree to, freeing MS from any liabilities, isn't valid because they have no alternatives to Windows

Someone send this hack a Mac :)

fraeone