Microsoft sues kid for being named Mike Rowe...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 19, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

oh...

my...

god...

I can't believe this is serious...

3. macrumors G5

nagromme

Insult to injury... when the kid wanted to settle, they offered him ten dollars to stop using his domain!

4. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

what a bunch of bastards!!!!! i'm kinda surprised disney hasn't sued me for having the name sebastian, which is also the name of the crab in little mermaid... come on m$ this is just stupid.

the really funny thing is, he offered to sell he domain name for $10,000, but the m$ high-priced lawyers probably charged m$ $20,000 just to send this poor kid a threatening letter.

stick to your guns mike! someone call steve and tell him to send mike a g5 server to run mikerowesoft :D

5. macrumors 68000

latergator116

They only offered him 10 dollars??!!!....what cheapskates. Now 10,000 dollars is another story.;)

6. macrumors 65816

billyboy

Just change his domain name to MikeRoweSoftware. Might get another $10 from MS. Or split the difference between the two offers, $5005 should do it to finance Mike's first attempt at a windows Operating System that works.

7. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's just pathetic - but with the news coverage I'm sure things will get changed around soon enough. Provided Mike Rowe doesn't just give up.

M$ - what a bunch of idiots - not a very impressive move there guys.

D

8. macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well, 10 dollars isn't that much. it can't even buy you a shirt anymore. well, maybe he should get a G5 server to run it:p

9. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

that is ***** pathetic, if someone had the last name Apple or more commonly Macintosh, would apple get in a hissy....maybe *shrugs* but its a persons freaking name, these law suits over "having the same name as a famous person" and such are getting pathetic

10. macrumors 65816

1macker1

I totally agree with MS, he's just trying to get money from them. His name is MikeRowe....not MikeRoweSoft. He's just some random bastard trying to get some easy money.

11. macrumors 6502

CNN's Headline News ran a ticker on this.

(edit) And now they did a brief story on it, just a report, no interviews.

12. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

What the heck are you on?

All he did was add 'soft' to his name, which is fine because he mas a SOFTWARE company.

I mean it doesn't take a genuis to abverate software... and also really it sounds like Microsoft, but that still is a good thing.

13. macrumors 6502a

simX

How come I am totally not surprised at the position you take on this topic? :rolleyes:

14. macrumors regular

Mike, you're the man!
    Fight'em!

15. macrumors G5

nagromme

Trying to get money? He just had a legitimate personal site with a pun on his name--it was MS who contacted him, not the other way around!

And it was MS who named the first amount: $10. Mike only named a higher figure later in RESPONSE to that insult. And $10 is indeed an insult.

PS... Who exactly is it that goes to MikeRoweSoft.com, which doesn't even pretend to parody MS in any way... and then actually believes they are somehow on the MS site, thus losing business or damaging the MS brand??

16. macrumors newbie

$10 Bucks Ha...

That does not even cover the cost of the DNS registration. Would have pissed me off also. Stick to your guns on the 10K mark. Not over the top since they insulted you. If Mike would have said One Million Dollars (with a pinky to his lips) I would have to say he was trying to take it to microsquish, but when they came back with 10 Bucks I would have been insulted also.

K

17. macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

now is the time for mike rowe to put some merchandise in his site... coz he is gonna get a lot of hits! :D

18. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

More detailed article here.

19. macrumors 65816

1macker1

Don't know and don't care.

20. macrumors 6502

Microsoft tries to destroys anything it doesn't like.

www.MikeRoweSoft.com doesn't work anymore. Looks like his web server shut it down.

21. macrumors regular

I did a whois and found his webhost is http://www.motionxl.com/

Pretty funny. They have a little News column on the left apologizing for the slow network connections because one of their clients had "overwhelming traffic."

Anyway, Mike, screw 'em! Stay strong!

22. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Ah, THAT'S that reason MS want it shut down - it's not running MS server software!

23. macrumors 68000

SilvorX

looks like someone registered mikerowesoft.org/.net/.info as well as a few others today, probably theyre hoping to get $$$ from M$

24. macrumors newbie

Once he settles, he should register the domain "buttheadsoftwarecompany.com" and go for another 10K from M$

25. macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

He didn't approach them and he has every right to choose that name.. It's silly for Microsoft to do anything.. They're not going after ****Microsoft.com are they? no..