Microsoft Surface Pro Earns Repairability Score of 1/10 from iFixit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The iFixit team today tore apart the Microsoft Surface Pro, which began showing up in stores last week, to reveal what's inside of the PC/tablet hybrid. Microsoft has touted the Surface Pro's power and compact design, which has come at the cost of easy consumer access to the device.

[​IMG]
    As it turns out, the Surface Pro is sealed with what iFixit termed "a metric duckload" of adhesive, which took more than an hour to overcome.
    Because of the adhesive, which holds both the battery and the display in place, and the more than 90 screws that hold the Surface Pro together, the tablet earned itself a repairability rating of 1/10. As TechCrunch notes, that is even less than Apple's iPad, which scored a 2/10 in repairability.

The battery is not soldered to the tablet so it is technically removable, but iFixit warns that removing the battery or upgrading the SSD might kill the tablet because of the proximity of several cables. Other highlights of the teardown include:
    iFixit declared some of Microsoft's choices, like the glued-in battery "completely unnecessary." Apple's products have been similarly criticized by the site in the past, such as the 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro, which also received a repairability score of 1 out of 10.

Article Link: Microsoft Surface Pro Earns Repairability Score of 1/10 from iFixit

2. macrumors 6502

"A metric duckload" is now my favorite phrase.

3. macrumors 68020

And you thought Apple products were hard to repair.....

4. macrumors newbie

flashPUNK

Amazing.

5. macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

I suppose that's expected given that the form factor is so small and compact.

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

Something as small as that was obviously hard to fix.

7. macrumors newbie

Michasss8

I've heard that repairing iPad is very hard...

Good Job Microsoft! :p

8. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not surprising these tablets are scoring so low from ifixit the way companies are trying to squeeze so much into such a small enclosure.

9. macrumors 6502a

The circuit board looks so crude & poorly made in comparison to the MacBook Air/Pro.

10. Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I thought you used "Imperial duckloads" in the USA? :D

11. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

The Cadillac of battery's model is actually called the 'Escalade.'

I think I'll wait for the Escalade Denali battery before buying one. :p

12. macrumors 6502

iFixit is probably more than a little irritated about the difficulty of self-repair, since a lot of their site is devoted to helping you repair your own devices. No possibility of self-repair -> fewer page views -> less ad revenue.

13. macrumors 65816

I was planning on getting a 64gig from Staples for $825 and tossing in a 256gb mSATA, but after seeing that terrifying autopsy, I'm out.

And please, let's stop with the "lol, look at how hard it is to open - MSFT FAIL" as it's not like the iPad is any easier.

14. macrumors 6502

iPusch

iPad has 11'500 mAh :eek:
    I am still amazed by that, why didn't they put a bigger battery in the Surface, I thought its much thicker, are the fans really that thick?! Mehh

15. macrumors 65816

This should only 'validate' Apple's design/build/choices.

Now people can start 'bitching' about MS and their non-upgradable devices because they want people to buy new in 2 years.

16. macrumors member

This is a misconception. We use standard duckloads, which is based on how many ducks a duckmongerer in 1745 could fit in a hogshead, as opposed to imperial duckloads, which is based on how many ducks a duckmongerer could fit in a hogshead in 1817.

17. macrumors 6502a

Yeah because as we all know the MBA/MBP circuit boards are made of the same material as Cylon ships....give me a break :rolleyes:

18. macrumors 603

Rocketman

It is interesting to see how a wintel bigot designs a "thin" laptop. With two fans!!

We used asphalt for rocket fuel. In 1953!

Rocketman :D

19. macrumors G5

Rogifan

Will be waiting to see if MS gets dinged the same way Apple has in the past. Will Kyle Wiens pen a letter to Panos Panay whining about him not following Dieter Rams 10 principles for good design like he did with Jony Ive?

20. macrumors 68000

Telling yourself to stop, are ya? You're the first one to say that. :rolleyes:

21. macrumors 6502a

Mac21ND

I always thought the pulsing sleep light was a little worrisome. Now I know why.

22. macrumors newbie

personally I feel as thogh iFixit is becoming pointless. Devices these days (especially mobile devices like phones and tablets) are not made to allow the consumer to tinker with its' inards. They are becoming core and more complex and the average user should not even attempt to self fix one.

23. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Excuse me, we here in The Totally Egalitarian And Never Imperialistic United States Of American don't use "Imperial" anything. We are a Democracy, and even to imply that we would use that word that smacks of Colonialism (e.g. England) and is just not the American Way!!:cool:

(And if you believe any of the crap above, I have a Bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell to you.):p

:rolleyes:

24. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Good.

It's about time these tech sites switch from saying "Apple is unreasonable and mean!" to the far more accurate "These are the kind of devices the public clearly wants, and that makes us tech-nerds mad!"

25. macrumors 65816

Of course they wont. Everyone will be going to this 'non-upgradable' design but only Apple will get the negative press about it.