Microsoft Tablet PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ryanweb, Nov 7, 2002.

1. ryanweb macrumors member

Aug 8, 2001
    What do you think, guys, about Microsoft Tablet PC?
    Looks like oversized Newton for the Windows world.
    I still have Newton and it's a wonderful machine except for the screen(grayscale and low resolution) and small memory.
    I don't think that Tablet PC will fly, but if Apple will ever release something like this I'll be the first one to buy it.
  2. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    here, there, who knows
    Please don't compare it to the newton

The newton is the best PDA/portable PC you ever want to get.

The tablet PC was done already by sony, sharp and toshiba it won't fly until is has the Apple logo on it:D
  3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    They look pretty neat except for one thing...

... the PRICE TAG! Compaq's is $1900, the others are all over $2000! Are these people out of their minds?

I have a Newton too, it'd be nice if it were color, and if I could get the syncing to work over Ethernet, ... and if I could replace the Dates application with something more logical. But Graffiti has fixed the recognition problem completely for me, and so I think I'm going to be able to do something useful with it. I think.

I've read (already!) that the recognition on the tablet PCs is not very good. I wonder if the press will laugh at it as hard as they did the Newton - with Microsoft behind it? I bet they pull their punches.
  4. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    here, there, who knows
    what's wrong with your newton hr?

Which newton you have my is a 130 and the hand writting works just fine about 99% accurated and a have a very lousy hand writing.
    ;) i try the graffiti thing i hate it.
  5. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

May 7, 2001
    fundamentally, i am in favor of the idea of having a tablet. i have not seen this embodiment of it however. I like the idea of just using a tablet like a notepad. as an engineer, it would be a great way to capture schematics and sketches in a manner that i could then e-mail to vendors or clients
  6. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    here, there, who knows
    I like the idea

I also like the idea of a tablet but lets face it if their are M$ winblows for OS is not going to get any where.
    Not until apple develops or puts in the market a real tablet is not going to happen. Back in the good old days of the newton there were some prototypes of a tablet using the newton OS and in color but that was all kill when uncle Steve kill it.

Just take a look at this little tibit I found today:

Attached Files:

7. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    All current and beta models (except the HP) were just reviewed on The Screen Savers.

Unilateraly panned as ill-functioning fad computers.

It did get me thinking though, so I decided to do a little test.

I type 63 words a minute, and write 47 words a minute. Thus, if I get one of these, I could expect a minimum of 20% productivity loss (before factoring in BSODs, OCR correction, and wrist cramps).
  8. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I could see tablet PC's working out for the k-5 education level and graphic artists. Other than that, they are utterly worthless pieces of junk, unless someone (like Apple) does something really cool that makes people look at tablet computers in a completely different way. (look at what they did for the personal computer)
  9. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001

CNN just had a damn, ah not toshiba but some 10" PC Tablet/Laptop for $2200 using M$'s handwriting recognition software. So Rene, the host of hotwired, said he's been at it for a few hours and still couldn't get it to recognize his name, Rene. It kept spelling Renoir & Renae. HAHA, then he hands it to another host Stephen, he writes his name and it comes out as Steuhen. HAHAHA. Then Bill Gates comes on from an earlier interview to talk about the software. He says " It's a breakthrough. It won't replace your keyboard but it's great for a quick email letter. If you want to write something longer then you'd be better to use your keyboard". HAHAHA, so a $2200 Tablet/Laptop with this software to write a 'short email' HAHAHAHAHA.
  10. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I have a client who was really looking at one of these tablet PC's. (the man has plenty of $$$)

I warned him about buying first generation M$ tech. (Or simply reminded him of our past mistakes.) He aggreed that it would be best to wait until round 2 for the tablets. Then I showed him Apple's new Powerbooks on thier web page. It was the superdrive that got him salivating. Now Apple can tack up one more switcher. (Well at least he is going to buy one to play with. ) :)
  11. Inhale420 macrumors regular

May 4, 2002
    i like the idea but ill wait a few years for these companies to refine the designs before i would consider them.
  12. macphisto macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2002
    At home
    I dunno. The idea is good, the technology is there, but how many people read books on their pda or on the computer. There is still something very basic within us that keeps bringing us back to paper. Maybe because it is more tangible or easy one the eyes. Am I the only one to think so?

13. ryanweb thread starter macrumors member

Aug 8, 2001
    How about the battery life!

I've been using Newton for days without need to recharge batteries, but these tablets have 3-4 hours battery life. Great "mobile" computer, that can't work without the plug.
    BTW,Newton handwriting recognition is amazing. I barely can read what I write sometimes, but Newton recognizes 98% of my writing.
    And another thing: Jaguar have Ink buit in, so you can write in ANY appplication, but to use separate application (Windows Journal) to capture handwriting, then copy it to other application is just ridiculous.
    Add color screen, hard drive and some slots to Newton and you have the perfect tablet.
  14. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    here, there, who knows
    Re: How about the battery life!

read my post above they altady made one but it never made to the market
  15. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    If Apple ever make a tablet PC, they will use the same technique as they did with the iPod:

- get the market tested by other companies, then release the Best One Ever™

So there M$! ;-p