Microsoft Tackles iOS Gaming with 'Kinectimals'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 13, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Microsoft today took a major step onto the iOS gaming platform with the release of Kinectimals. The game, which is aimed at children and involves interacting with virtual animals, debuted last year as an Xbox 360 game taking advantage of the Kinect motion-sensing control system.
    The release marks an interesting move for Microsoft, which has an established gaming brand with the Xbox/Kinect line and has been thought to be looking to use that leverage to promote its own Windows Phone platform. But Microsoft has been making a significant push into iOS gaming tie-ins over the past week, beginning with the My Xbox LIVE profile management app and Halo Waypoint companion app for the popular gaming franchise.

Beyond those new offerings, today's addition of Kinectimals signals an even more substantial investment in iOS by Microsoft, which has now proven willing to branch out from its own platforms to support games running directly on iOS devices.

Kinectimals is a universal iOS application for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, and is priced at $2.99 [App Store].

Article Link: Microsoft Tackles iOS Gaming with 'Kinectimals'

2. macrumors 603

Let's see of this game is worth it. I'm going to download it right away.

3. Guest

AAPLaday

I have this game. My mates daughter loves playing on it. Its great casual fun

4. macrumors 6502

Good to see MS getting in on the action! Thanks for the XBOX app. Bring on Office!

5. macrumors 601

This is actually a dream come true for me.

This is one of my favourite Kinect games.

6. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

First it's Kinectimals, then it's Windows and Office. Won't someone think of the children? :D

7. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

HNNNGGGG My heart. The Sesame Street Kinect game was so cute too.

8. macrumors 6502

travis64

9. macrumors G4

Even if they sell 10 million copies of this at $3 each this is pocket change for Microsoft. Clearly, I think their goal is not to make money. I think maybe they want to train their staff ad this just covers the cost. They did this for some reason and it was not to make money.

10. macrumors newbie

11. macrumors 6502

Looking into that tiger's eyes one cannot ignore the deep hatred and resentment for it's owner that is present. It is more than happy to do tricks and obey the commands because it knows that one day the tables will turn in the struggle of control and life span.

12. macrumors G4

Small White Car

Microsoft is a software company. They've spent the last 30 years confusing themselves into thinking they're a 'platform company.'

That's nice and all, but it's not the only way. I sure hope this is a sign to come. I'd like to see Microsoft succeed and I think it will happen like this...by becoming the dominant software provider on OTHER platforms. They've been allergic to that in the past because they wanted to protect Windows, but those days are over. I'd love to see them branch out more.

13. macrumors 6502

laserfox

Trojan horse :D

Get iOS users to start liking Microsoft again

Launch Windows 8 with tablet form factors and xbox live integrated
    Free Office Suite
    Just like Windows Phone 7
    Critically acclaimed

Wean iOS users off apple and into Microsoft ecosystem

14. macrumors 68000

nepalisherpa

I hope they release Age of Empires series also! :)

15. macrumors 6502a

kasei

It is possible Microsoft decided if they can't beat iOS to make a many apps fro it as they can and possibly win some customers back. I think it is a smart move and the development of the Kinect and releasing the SDK for it is even smarter.

16. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It could look like a strategic move, but then again why would you switch from iOS to Windows Phone if they offer the same apps on both. Yes, they could make you "like" Microsoft again but that's not enough to switch your whole ecosystem if there is no true reason of switching.

It would make more sense to keep the Windows Phone games exclusive and come up while lots of mobile versions of Xbox games, like Halo, Gears of War, Forza, Fable etc. that could compensate by their quality for the small number of games/apps on Windows Phone compared to iOS and Android. That could make a gamer choose a Windows Phone, especially with Xbox Live integration.

17. macrumors 6502a

It's likely an acknowledgement that many XBox gamers are also iOS users. Microsoft could either ignore them or embrace them. XBox tie-ins are a way to do the latter.

18. macrumors 65816

I think any company would still be happy with a fairly simple port making 30mill. Bet this cost them about 100K max to make -

With this and the xbox companion app on iOS, this is more of a driver to XBox thatn

19. macrumors 68000

That would be so sweet to have it on the iPad .... used to be one of my favorite games and I wasted endless nights playing it. My son recently discovered my old DVD with Age of Empires III and now he is addicted to it ... Would be cool to play it against each other on the iPads.

20. macrumors 6502

laserfox

21. macrumors member

22. macrumors 6502a

darkfiber

They also released "My XBOX Live" recently which while giving Xbox users a way to view their Xbox Live Profile, gives you a taste of their "Metro" interface, which I have to admit is kinda nice looking at least.

23. macrumors newbie

Microsoft will probably make more money from the release of this game on iOS than they ever did from the Zune.

24. macrumors 68040

Me too. But I'm also hoping (probably fruitlessly) that maybe this will get them making games for Mac again (or at least a game, MS Flight Sim. It's the one reason I went to a PC for a while but now I'm back. Of course the mac I have is totally not suited for that kind of game so I'd probably fire up my PC anyways. But be nice to have my Mac do everything).

----------

I wish I could up vote this more. I do like some of their software (not all, but Excel and Flight sim for sure and I begrudgingly use Word though honestly, I'm really starting to think I could probably get away with some other text editor that isn't so damn quirky and really the only thing I need compatibiity for is resumes which I could just use PDF format which will definitely keep the formatting amongst different computers). I certainly wouldn't object to buying MS software, I just prefer Apple's OS over their's.

25. macrumors 65816

Wayfarer