Microsoft to Acquire Multi-Touch Pioneer Perceptive Pixel

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Microsoft today announced that it intends to acquire Perceptive Pixel, a company founded by multi-touch pioneer Jeff Han and currently focused on large-screen touch displays such as those used by CNN and other television networks to allow anchors to present live, interactive data on set.

[​IMG]

We've featured Han's work a number of times over the years both before and after the launch of the iPhone as examples of what could be done with the technology.

While Han was not involved in Apple's multi-touch efforts, which were based in significant part on the efforts of FingerWorks, his work has been looked to as some of the key early examples of the potential for multi-touch input technology in action.
    Microsoft is no stranger to the market either, having launched its "Surface" tabletop multi-touch screens back in mid-2007. While that effort did not lead to significant success, Microsoft just last month relaunched the Surface brand for its forthcoming portable tablet devices running Windows 8.

The addition of Perceptive Pixel will strengthen Microsoft's patent holdings in the area of multi-touch input, as well as provide the larger company with expertise that will help it to develop new tools for collaborative work with its multi-platform Windows 8. Microsoft is planning for a general release of Windows 8 by the end of October, with pricing and availability on its Surface tablet hardware yet to be announced.

Article Link: Microsoft to Acquire Multi-Touch Pioneer Perceptive Pixel

2. macrumors regular

Microsoft is acting like a new company that sees Apple for what it is. Great to see and eagerly awaiting the future.

3. macrumors regular

How is a business started in 2006 even remotely a pioneer in a technology that's been around for well over a decade?

(Fingerworks and other companies of that era, for example, are pioneers of multi-touch)

4. macrumors 6502a

coder12

I remember Saturday Night Live doing an entire skit on the Perceptive Pixel displays, laughed my butt off the entire time! :D

5. macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

Can't wait to sit on the couch with my 60-inch Microsoft Surface tablet!

6. macrumors 65816

You do know that Jeff Han is one of the pioneers of multi-touch.. Don't you?

Or do are one of those who thinks that Apple has invented everything?

w00master

7. macrumors regular

Looks like MS is continuing to move toward a software and hardware company. This is good for consumers.

8. macrumors newbie

That awkward moment when you accidentally hit your coworker, enthusiastically sharing a spreadsheet.

9. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I think those huge touch screen displays on CNN are awesome, even if they don't work quite right or add much to the story.

10. macrumors P6

Peace

Jeff Han is one of the pioneers. At the same time other people/think tanks were also working on multi touch. Fingerworks being another pioneer from the same time.

Jeff Han worked mostly on projector based input output while fingerworks was working on capacitive touch surfaces.

11. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

Nice to see that your technerdery hasn't killed your testosterone. Couldn't help but think of Dumb and Dumber:
    "Wow, look at that ass."
    "Yeah, I bet he works out."

12. macrumors 68020

Multitouch truly is amazing. And you get used to it very quickly.
    Just the other day i tried to pinch zoom on a magazine :)

13. macrumors 68000

deannnnn

14. AngerDanger, Jul 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012

macrumors 68000

AngerDanger

Never talk about how tired your arm is in the same comment where you point out an attractive girl; it might give people the wrong impression…

I remember laughing out loud while watching the part of the original Surface's introduction video that mentioned the use of hundreds of cameras to capture motion of multiple fingers. It just seemed like the least efficient approach to multitouch. However, the surface revamp looks phenomenal, and while the iPad is ideal for many, I cannot wait for the new Surface to be released.

15. macrumors 6502a

Mad-B-One

You definitely gave me a laugh!
    Better than playing boxing on the Wii and getting hit because you don't have 50sqf room to play. That controller can be hard!

On the other hand, I think Microsoft is filling up their Patent Portfolio before launching the Windows 8 tablets. You simply have to have something to bargin with.

16. macrumors 6502a

MacNewsFix

I'll be curious to see what technology they've acquired that wasn't already in the Microsoft Big A** Table.

Is that your professional opinion? ;)

17. macrumors newbie

For Consumers??

When has Microsoft ever done anything that was good for consumers? They perfected the maximum intimidation factor which lasted for a decade, giving rise to the "IT" standard of rewarding IT folks for recommending their own job security. After, and I wonder how long, they came up with "Surface," a tablet that isn't a tablet. I have to work with both major platforms all the time trying to do similar work on both and Microsoft is past.

18. macrumors member

Multi-touch gestures on large, presentation screens is awkward, as demonstrated by the woman pictured.

She has to stay up close, which is disorienting, and use both hands, giving her back to the audience while obscuring parts of the image. It's the blackboard dilemma times two.

There are better ways --we live in the post-laser-pointer era :rolleyes:

But it is Microsoft. What do they care?

19. macrumors 6502a

Nunyabinez

As with many new technologies, people kind of force the technology into places where it is not necessarily needed, just because they can. I teach at a university and I could see using this to make a lecture more interactive. But then again, there are lots of alternatives that would work very well too. I would rather have an iPad and a Apple TV in the room where I could throw the iPad screen up on the projector. That way I could still use interactivity, but not have to reach over my head to move something on a giant interactive display. That's not to say that there aren't some really good uses for this, but initially there will be lots of people using these in a way that is less productive than what they could do with older technology.

20. macrumors 6502a

davidgnomo

No way, I've seen much better ...

21. macrumors regular

I wonder how different this post would have been if the emblem on that device in the picture was an apple with a bite taken out.

22. macrumors 68000

powers74

So much for remaining independent. A little surprised they're caving to Micro$oft. (as I remember, Han was pretty adamant about not selling out, BICBW).

23. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It seems that many people think the purpose of touchscreen presentations is to wow the audience with special effects rather than to communicate efficiently.

24. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

There is probably a niché market for something like this, perhaps in education for toddlers or something. But for as neat and cool as it looks, I don't think I can see a practical use for this in my daily life. There are still too many things that I think require a keyboard and/or mouse.

And what's with their YouTube video being only in 240? :confused:

25. macrumors 6502a

I always hated those big multi-touch surfaces they use on CNN. Watching the news anchors use them, it was like they were just subtly advertising for tablet devices instead of just presenting the news.