Microsoft To Buy Apple?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by deanbo, Jun 14, 2005.

1. deanbo macrumors regular

Just speculating, but if anyone has the financial muscle to do it, it would have to be this company.

Right now, I feel Microsoft is starting to feel more than a little threatened by Apple, and the open source movement in general. I see several possible outcomes in the near future.

1. Microsoft kills Office for Mac. Microsofts way of discouraging people not to purchase a Mac. Probably not too likely seeing Mac users will probably be able to run Windows Office in a year or so anyway.

2. Microsoft makes Windows machine specific (i.e, won't boot on new Macs). Not sure how feasible this is, probably not hard if the new Macs are going to have a special "hardware key" to boot OS X built into the motherboard. Just do the same thing for Windows except in reverse, making impossible for switchers to run their old software on the new Macs.

3. Microsoft tries to buy Apple. Probably the most likely. I don't think cost will be an issue with this one. (We're talking about Microsoft here.) As for antitrust legislation, remember the DOJ case against Microsoft? I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of takeover bid from Microsoft sometime in the near future.

2. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Personally i dont think microsoft give a damn about apple right now they are more concerned with longhorn and the xbox 360 as that is what there future will depend on...

ShadOW :)

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

They'll never finish Longhorn if they go and buy Apple. On the other hand, they'll be able to simply rebadge some of the Intel versions of Tiger and sell it tomorrow. :D

On a more serious note, I doubt they'd be allowed to buy Apple. The first two options are unlikely since Microsoft would lose revenue in the short term from the lack of Office for Mac and sales of Windows to Mac users which wouldn't be very popular internally. Remember, they still make money from Office and they'll be making money from aftermarket Windows installations too. :)

4. smurphur macrumors member

Ok, not really sure why you are speculating that Microsoft would buy Apple now. Sure Apple is selling lots of copies of OSX and more macs each year. But there are also more people buying computer each year. Microsoft is such a giant that I doubt it is overly concerned about OSX or Intel-Macs. In fact it will be just that much easier to develop Office for them now, and they will never stop doing that... its a revenue generator for them. As you can see Microsoft is expanding its portfolio too, with Xbox stuff and such. Why would Microsoft make Microsoft specific machines? They are a software company. Apple has to make OSX specific machines since they are also a hardward company trying to sell their specific hardware to run their OS. If people had to go out and buy a copy of windows to run on their Intel-Macs, then thats just more money in Microsofts pocket. Perfect for what they want, which is money.

5. wako macrumors 65816

Poorly thought out speculation... First off Microsoft is a, you guessed it from the name, a SOFTWARE BUSINESS. They can careless how many macs is sold or how many ipods are sold.

I dont understand how they are porting their software to a Mac is discouragement. They have a good software out there that is so much better than that of what any other software can give them. Hell I remember when Office first came out, everyone that had a computer including macs wanted it because it was so much better than what was out there.

Actually the recent news can actually boost microsoft sales. If apple users are able to use windows, it just means more sales for them! I doubt they will ever do what Apple will do with their OS. Its not logical, their a SOFTWARE BUSINESS NOT A HARDWARE BUSINESS unlike Apple.

Finally Steve Jobs will never just sell their business to Microsoft its just impossible. There has been a huge rivalry between the two company thats its very unlikely. More so, Microsoft and Apple have two VERY different agendas that its not profitable to them to buy Apple and I doubt the government would allow MS to merge with Apple. It just makes Microsoft a bigger company which the government will not allow.

The only thing you got right is that open source is putting quite a bit of pressure on Microsoft. Not so much because its good or bad but its because MS has too many security flaws. Its just safer to use other OS or internet browsers. Which brings the topic of Longhorn into the story. Longhorn is SUPPOSE to fix the flaws that XP has.

On a final note, Apple will never be a huge force to reckon with Microsoft. Again with the Agenda thing, Microsoft is after all the markets. Not only you and I, the consumers, but the businesses, the servers and what not. The consumers actually make a VERY small portion of the computer market. What drives the computer market is actually business needs. Apple's agenda is only for the everyday consumers like you and I. Although they do make servers its not on the top of the list. Hence why Microsoft does not the bulk of their money on making our lives easier, but IT's lives easier. Why the hell would we ever need half of the things that are stuffed into the OS?!

6. deanbo thread starter macrumors regular

Some Clarification

You seem to forget that Apple is also a "software business". Granted more of hardware business than software, but still software none the less. You also seemed to have completely missed my point.

This is going to be the war of the OS, OS X vs Longhorn. Unless I'm completely misinformed, I believe that Windows generates a great deal of money for Microsoft. Windows is exactly is what Apple is taking on with the switch to Intel. It's not about hardware anymore, it's about the OS.

90% of the consumer market is on Windows, and I feel a large chunk of this will be shifting to OS X in the next 5 years.

I have no recollection of saying Microsoft would buy Apple and continue OS X. Microsoft buying Apple and killing off OS X would be much more likely. What better way to get rid of the competition.

As for the XBox, the last I heard Microsoft was making a loss on the XBox simply to undercut the competition.

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i dont think microsoft is allowed to, it would make there monopoly even more illegal.

8. deanbo thread starter macrumors regular

Microsoft Monopoly

Never stopped them before.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if they did, (which would never happen) i call to all apple users to storm Redmond and destroy all traces of windows, longhorn betas everything and liberate the leopard, then take cupertino captive and continue to make the mac great. yarrr.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'll just go and find my balaclava...

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Maybe. But why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Bzzzzzz. Wrong. The key here is that Apple is a hardware company that happens to produce software. Microsoft only produces software in the realm of computers. They'd have to start up a computer hardware company and then compete with Dell/etc. And then get slapped with a costly anti-trust suit. I don't think so.

No. Microsoft is not rich enough to buy Apple. And Apple would not sell to Microsoft. And Microsoft cannot force Apple to sell. Not going to happen.

12. deanbo thread starter macrumors regular

Still Missing My Point

I didn't say Microsoft should start making PC's, just could they make Windows machine specific? i.e. Not run on the new Macs?

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If they managed to create some sort of magical software dependancy that would ensure that their OS only worked on non-MacIntels, they would have to constantly patch it against hackers, and update it for new computers that come out. Not to mention how would they deal with all the Mom & Pop componants shops.

But again, what would this accomplish?

I'll have a Mac(Intel). What the hell do I care if it can run Windows? I suspect a good % of Mac users would think the same way.

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Isn't that kind of what Apple'll be doing anyway. But yeah, I agree it'd be much harder for Microsoft.

15. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

When i saw thistitle in the forum, I thought it was a link to a news story lol. :eek: Thank God it was just specualtion. ;)

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

It would stop them in this case. Usually, Microsoft does something, the government says "we aren't sure if you were allowed to do that," and the legal proceedings drag on forever. However, for a major corporate merger, the US government has to approve it before it happens, and they would NEVER approve something that would give Microsoft (or any other company) about 95% marketshare (unless perhaps it was obvious both companies would collapse otherwise... but neither Microsoft nor Apple are on the verge of collapse).

17. wako macrumors 65816

Again completely irrational speculation here. Windows is indeed the primary driving force behind Microsoft. However that is not the driving force behind a Mac. (profit wise) Its the computers!

No large chunk of any kind is going to shift anywhere to OSX. It WOULD be a valid speculation if Steve Jobs wasnt a moron for keeping OSX on Mac systems only, however that isnt the case. Window PCs are simply much cheaper in the market these days.

A simply shift in a chip does not mean it will overturn anything. I believe you have indeed been poorly informed on the chip switch and what it means for the mac users as well as the microsoft users. Go back and read what Apple is going to do about the switch and the limitations on the switch. You wont be able to install OSX on a HP/Compaq/Dell/whatever, only on a Mac, but you can install Windows on a Mac. Thats basically the jist.

The only stiff competition Microsoft is facing these days is open source OS like Linux and Unix, because their free and much more reliable. Hence why most servers run on either of the two.

Xbox is not a loss for Microsoft. It MIGHT be on the system itself, but in other countries like Japan, China, etc, but they are making the money back in Game sells. It is actually very profitable for Microsoft.

18. wako macrumors 65816

They COULD do that but Microsoft doesnt really care for what Apple does. Also I would really doubt a move like that. If Apple users buy an Apple system and install Windows on it Im sure they will be very happy that they are generating revenue off of Apple users.

However I doubt they even need to do that because I also doubt Apple will release any drivers for the Window users.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

1. Microsoft has more than enough money to buy Apple.

2. Microsoft makes lots of money selling Apple software. I wouldn't be surprised if they make more per Mac than they do per PC -- after all, Office costs much more on a Mac than on a PC, and Windows is generally massively discounted to manufacturers.

3. Microsoft will never buy Apple. C'mon, MS is already treading a thin line in anti trust cases -- this would certainly push the DOJ over the edge.

20. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

21. X-Baz macrumors member

I'm guessing at the numbers, but Apple probably makes a few dollars in profit of each copy of OSX sold compared to a few hundred dollars in profit on each iMac or PowerBook sold. It's in Apple's interest to tie OSX to their hardware as that's where their money comes from.

Microsoft probably makes a few dollars in profit on each (retail) copy of Windows sold, probably makes about the same in profit on each Dell/HP/Whatever sold. It's not in Microsoft's interest to tie Windows to anyones hardware as every hardware sale (wherever it comes from - as long as it's not Apple) generates some pennies.

However, Microsoft makes most of its money on corporate Software Assurance schemes - for Windows and for Office. These, again, bypass hardware sales - you buy a several hundred user site licence for Office and install it on whatever boxes you have to hand. Again, it's not in Microsoft's interests to tie Windows to anyone's hardware. And it shows that Microsoft and Apple are working entirely different markets.

Where the two are converging is the upcoming XBox vs Mac battle because MS is playing exactly Apple's game there - software tied to a particular piece of proprietary hardware ... which is also what probably prompted IBM's supply problems with G5s and hence the switch to Intel.

22. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

All Apple users? I think there are more Microsoft employees than Apple users *eg*. What could a few hundred people do against Microsoft? ;-)

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

but most of Microsoft's employees are lawyers and programmers, they are weak and will be crushed by our forces.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm pretty sure that Apple will have to use a hardware dependancy to start with.. But who knows? Whatever they do, I really hope it's well thought out and robust.

25. Patch^ macrumors regular

I'm sure i've read some where that Microsoft alreadys own a vast amount of apples stock and has done for a while now(including IBM and Intel stock). I'l try and get a source link some time. I'm not 100% if im sure, it could just be rumor.

I think the reason they haven't taken over is because of monopoly laws on the computer market.

(please don't 'yell' at me if i'm wrong lol)

Patch^

Edit: Apparently Microsoft sold there stocks from apple a few years ago. Heres a link, not 100% reliable tho = http://www.macaddict.com/forums/topic/61503