Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
That absolutely sucks.

Either MS or Fox, what has the world come to... :(
Can't we have social networking thats independent of big business?

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
Well Facebook has already started going downhill with all the "Applications" anyway, so I can't say I'll be disappointed if this happens. It was cool at first, but now facebook has gone too far and gotten too big, I'm getting tired of it very fast, so if MS buys it I will abandon it and never look back.

Nayrb

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2007
Virginia
Well as soon as the new facebook arrived I had a feeling of impending doom, but this is just beyond disaster. So much for that nice network I knew when I was a college freshman.

elfin buddy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2001
Tuttlingen, Germany
That's not cool at all. Knowing MS, they'll probably try to integrate it with their passport crap and ruin it for everyone. Why does Microsoft have to buy everything I love?

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Facebook started to suck months ago. First, they opened it up to everyone. Then, they did the feeds crap. It became worse than myspace. Friendster, Myspace, and Facebook were all cool years ago, but it was inevitable they would all sell out.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Yes it is a shame but at least its not the only such site.

Yea, but when all your college friends are on there, what are we supposed to do, just drop them all?
Thats what pisses me off more than anything, its already integrated into our lives so much....

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Well Facebook has already started going downhill with all the "Applications" anyway, so I can't say I'll be disappointed if this happens. It was cool at first, but now facebook has gone too far and gotten too big, I'm getting tired of it very fast, so if MS buys it I will abandon it and never look back.

opening it to everyone? okay thats fine.
the applications sucked though.
and the feeds can be annoying.
if MS buys it i'll be gone most likely.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I guess $6 billion was too much to resist cashing in. I haven't checked my FB in months so it'll probably fade into obscurity once Microsoft acquires it.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Ha! HA! HA!

Welcome to the Social!

If you listen hard you can actually hear the droves of users ditching it for something else.

in reply to the question/header... evidently not. i never knew... :mad: now i'm kinda pissed though. what's mine is mine.

talk to the dimwitted ms america from a few weeks back.

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
just wait 6 months.. there will be some new fad to replace Facebook.

It won't be surprising if they Windows Live it up, add integration to MSN/Live services.. ugh

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I'm sorry, but I won't abandon FB unless I see a much more negative, MS-catalysed change occurs that ruins it.

I don't mind the apps, but if any of the MS experience happens with it, then forget it. However, I'm not going to say I'm ditching it just because MS is buying it. It just shows too much bias.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Whoa, I just saw that flash presentation, it's a bit of a worry. Thankfully at least they can't format Aussie phone numbers properly so I didn't put mine up, but the other info???

I liked Facebook because it was college exclusive - now it's more like Myspace which I'm refusing to join because every man and his dog is joining.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I liked Facebook because it was college exclusive - now it's more like Myspace which I'm refusing to join because every man and his dog is joining.

I didn't join MySpace because I hate the profiles and webpages, and how there seems to be too much colour, clutter, and noise.

You didn't join Myspace, a social networking website, because too many people joined it? :confused:

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
You didn't join Myspace, a social networking website, because too many people joined it? :confused:
I despise myspace...facebook was a lot more exclusive and therefore not as trashy in the beginning, but now it's a freeforall with a gazillion apps.

I'm sick of the app invitations. I'm sick of everyone and their mother joining Facebook. I miss the days when it was college..hell, when the HS networks joined the college networks. Work was okay, but I don't see why it was opened up. It was a lot better when it was semi-exclusive to education+work and there were no apps.

Yes, even on a social networking site.

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
Bit of a over reaction to a unsubstantiated rumour
oh wait i forgot where i was
carry on...

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
I despise myspace...facebook was a lot more exclusive and therefore not as trashy in the beginning, but now it's a freeforall with a gazillion apps.

I'm sick of the app invitations. I'm sick of everyone and their mother joining Facebook. I miss the days when it was college..hell, when the HS networks joined the college networks. Work was okay, but I don't see why it was opened up. It was a lot better when it was semi-exclusive to education+work and there were no apps.

Yes, even on a social networking site.

i agree, the beauty of the site was that you weren't going to get stuck with nonsense. it was, in the beginning, for colleges. and it worked excellent in connecting the people who were in your classes with you.

now? getting bloated and crazy. pages are cluttered since you can move stuff around. apps all over the place, and the news feed is stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.