Microsoft To charge for antispyware utility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kdawg, Jan 19, 2005.

1. kdawg macrumors regular

kdawg

An article posted in the Informatiojn Technology adviser states that microsoft will soon charge for their spyware removal tool (Currently in Beta for free Via microsoft.com/downloads)

Isn't that great.... Release a crapy OS, then charge you to keep it working

2. MP2 macrumors member

Ad-Aware, Spybot, AVG, CWShredder, Hijack This, and WinTasks Pro will do just fine thank you very much.

I'm not going to rely on a company that makes crappie, buggy software to fix it. **** that ****.

3. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

i use this antispyware thing its actually pretty good. somehow it almost functions as a virus remover too. im shocked that microsoft is able to make something that is fast and efficient but for how long?

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

This has been covered here before. And actually, I couldn't get rid of spyware that norton was picking up on my girlfriends computer. I tried S&D and Adaware.Microsoft did the job. I was stunned. I wouldn't pay for it though.

5. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Microsoft didnt make it.. They bought it from Giant and put their logos on it.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I read about this too. Once the beta period is over, and Microsoft is selling its tool, maybe somebody can go into business selling antidotes to bugs that show up in the antispyware application! On second thought, Microsoft will probably do that themselves, charging you an upgrade fee.

7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Sure wouldn't surprise me :p

I had a good time breaking the news to my PC-using friend who was trying to convince me that Microsoft wasn't such a bad company, releasing an Anti-Spyware program that was free and worked well.

Turns out it's not free, and M$ didn't even write the dang thing :rolleyes:

8. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Honestly this thing is close to useless for removing the world's spyware problem.

I went to install it on my son's Windows ME computer, and discovered that that only 2000 and XP are supported.

Last I saw the vast majority of windows machines were still Windows ME or earlier, so this won't make a dent in the installed spyware base.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Tsk, tsk, tsk... you shouldn't make fun of Microsoft because their AntiSpyware program only runs on Windows 2000 and Windows XP, with no support for Windows ME.

After all, iTunes doesn't support Windows ME, either. :rolleyes: (A friend of mine received an iPod for Christmas... he couldn't use it with his Windows ME, and had to upgrade to Windows XP.)

10. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He should have upgraded to Apple. Lesson not learned.

11. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

come on, does this really come as a surprise to anyone?

12. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Uhh, but not running iTunes (as far as I am aware) is not a security and/or privacy problem.

13. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I might like point out WIndowsME is coming out on pretty long for contiune support. after about 5 years or so support for the older OS gets droped. They quite updating it. Windows ME is coming close to the end of it life plus it had a very short life span so een fewer people have it.

14. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I don't believe MS has EOL'ed WindowsME/98 yet, have they?

Until MS has EOL'ed these products, I would expect them to be updated security wise. No, we don't need games and MP3 players, but if security / privacy is their focus, they need to focus on it, not just do it on the easiest part of the family.

Last I knew (I notice stats are kind of hard to find now) the 9x family was still quite widly used, so this is a big issue for the attacks on the network infrastructure that are supposedly being adressed by this product.

15. brap macrumors 68000

IIRC They EOL'd it, then changed their minds, since there were a lot of businesses, and a lot of non-westernised countries still using it for some fairly mission-critical stuff.

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Charge its customers for holes that the OS had from the start, this coming from M$ so what else is new? :rolleyes: :p ;) :)

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Microsoft's first line of advice to those running 95/98/ME and want security updates is to upgrade to XP and then make sure you install SP2. :eek:

18. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You missed my point. Microsoft isn't the only company producing software that doesn't run on Windows ME; Apple does the same thing.

Windows ME was a good idea, but very badly implemented. Better that everyone should move on to Windows XP (or 2000, if you must).

19. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Someone should sue them for charging to repair their own shoddy, hole-ridden software.

20. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

They drop support for windows 98 back in earily 2003. It been 2 years since then and that would put windows ME at the same age if it is dropped this year Add in the fact that ME only had a 6 month self life (shortest of any OS ever made I read that windows ME became pretty nice for a 9.x line after they got the bug fixes done but I had quite using it by then)

21. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You missed my point. There's a difference between critical security infrastructure and entertainment programs (not to mention the difference between third party and manufacturer).

Does the fact that Microsoft hasn't written a version of MovieMaker for Jaguar excuse Apple from putting out security fixes for Jaguar?

Great, are you volunteering to buy my son the extra RAM he needs to run 2000 or XP? And the cost of Windows XP?

22. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Timelessblur

I might like ot point Doom3 was not released for anything below windows 2000. (otehr wise you had to run windows NT system). Software has just stop development for 9.x so support for the OS is the next thing to go.

Also Windows ME is at the end of life for support and the archtechure of windows 9.x is very diffent that NT 5.x so it prouble was not worth the money or time to deveplope the program for a 9.x based system if they are going ot drop support with in a year or 2.

OS life spans are 3 years on average. Support is about 5-6 years. XP and windows 2000 going will both go beyond that but their is no replacement for them for at least 2 years. Support needs to go on for a few years after a replacement comes out. ME has had a replacement out for 4+ years. It is at the end of its life.

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, since Windows ME was officially dropped from mainstream support on December 31, 2003 (over a year ago), no one should realistically expect Microsoft to release any new software for that platform. That's why the Microsoft AntiSpyware software doesn't work on ME.

24. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Isn't this like an automaker issuing a recall and when you show up you they fix your car and give you the bill?

I mentioned this spyware thing to a co-worker and all I got was a blank idiot stare.

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No... because the OS isn't broken. They release free OS updates (and free program updates) all the time. Spyware is not something that just appeared out of nowhere... it's malicious software that was written by someone to take advantage of the design of a system. A Windows user also has the flexibility to use Microsoft's solution, or Lavasoft's, or Norton's... you get the idea. (And Lavasoft's is free.)

By your logic, all utility software (AV, anti-spyware, disk recovery, etc.) should be free.