Microsoft to Launch Own Switcher Campaign

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by patrick0brien, Feb 6, 2003.

1. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, well, you know it happens, but it will be interesting to see how Microsoft handles the ads/marketing.

I can't see them doing exactly the same thing as Apple, white background, onesided interview, etc.

Funny :D

D

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

micro$oft needs to be a little more origional.
    plain and simple

4. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-bennetsaysargh

Y'know, that's a good point. I can't think of a single thing that MS has done that is original i.e. invented. If memory and history serves, they've drawn success from aping others' ideas. The first? DOS.

While I've heard the same said about our beloved Apple, the first thing that comes to mind to refute this is our old friend Firewire.

Anyone think of others (sorry, I'm fried)?

5. dricci macrumors 6502a

Why go after such a niche product? I don't really see Apple as a threat to Microsoft, or Microsoft as a threat to Apple. I just don't see why Microsoft feels it's necessary to go after such a tiny group :confused:

And does anybody have any further proof of this other than some "source" on MacNN?

6. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Didn't Microsoft try this already? I thought they used an actor or something, and got ridiculed for it.

7. jaykk macrumors 6502a

Wold domination

M$ is trying for 100% marketshare, but targeting at wrong group. Linux is the real threat to M$, apple will remain a niche player, no matter what. I heard that IBM is planning to release a Linux based thinkpads soon( i am not sure if it is PPC basesd) ..watch out M$.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Microsofts biggest invention is
    .NET and IIS both which have buge flaws.

IIS servers have had a history of hacking
    .NET will just invade your privacy.

9. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-MrMacman

I thought so too, but it turns out that .NET was a thin-client implementation, first introduced by Oracle in 1997-98. Except MS is using C# the MS-aped version of Java (originally tried with J++) as the primary code base.

As for IIS, I suppose it's possible they actually had an original thought here, but I think it was more evolutionary rather that revolutionary. It's a natural progression IMHO for NT, which in turn, if you will recall, was lifted from MS and IBM's collaboration on OS/2.

Yeah, I look at that and it's clearly biased. But the facts remain. MS steals their ideas - the big ones. DOS, Windows, NT, '95-XP, PDA's, gaming consoles, the Digital Hub, and now iWave!!!

They do try however, the SPOT technology is nifty, and so are tablet PC's, but they're just not compelling.

Ok. In self defense, a rant. I'm usually quite diplomatic in my writings, so cherish this, it's rare...

<rant>

SPOT: What the f*** am I going to do with a teensy PDA in a watch?! If I want to look up the weather, I'll do it just a few times a day with a web site or with WeatherPop. And If I were REALLY interested in what the temperature was, I'd be most interested in the air that immediately surrounds me, not a weather tower across town reporting five minutes ago. And as for an alarm clock? I can't even read that early in the morning, let alone understand stock prices from the Hang Seng.

Tablet PC: Sure I want to spend 20% more on a more fragile version of a notebook and communicate with it using handwriting that is, at best, half as fast as using a keyboard, far more subjective in it's legibility, and not editable, all leading to vastly less efficient ways to communicate.

</rant>

Iii'm sorry guys. It's been a long day dealing with idiots, and I'm decaffinated at this point.

10. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

Ouch, I know the feeling.

11. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

Obviously this is not the case...

If Apple, Mac OS X [along with the entire open-source community], and the Mac community were not a threat to MS, they wouldn't be going to these lengths.

They're loosing their stranglehold and are trying to regain their grip.

Need more evidence?

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-983373.html

12. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

Oct. 9th, 2002.

"Testimony of a Mac to PC Convert" [or something like that].

Ad got pulled from their website within 24 hours when it was revealed that the picture of the "convert" was a stock image from gettyimages.com.

Upon further investigation, it was found that the person who was "testifying" was an employee of the ad agency which MS had hired for this campaign.

MS spokesperson said it was a mistake...:rolleyes:

13. MacQuest macrumors 6502a

Is "buge" bigger than "huge'?

Or a combination of "big" and "huge"?:D

14. patrick0brien thread starter macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Actually, I think it's "Big" and "Cludge", slammed up into "Buge".

Makes sense to me :D

15. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

16. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

It is not Apple that is the problem for M$, but Linux. The number of people using windows is actually going down now (overall) while the number of people using Linux is increasing at a massive rate. M$ even recently said that opensource software is a big problem for it. They can't compete with something that is cheaper than M$ equiverlents and in some cases is better too. Apple will never big a problem to M$, unless it releases Mac OS X for Intel/AMD hardware.

17. sawaguchishinji macrumors member

I think Apple users get more attention than Linux users (on desktop), so Microsoft is targeting Apple. The switch campaign showed that there is alternatives for the Wintel and Microsoft will undermine it.

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

appne need not worry bout M$'s switch ads...they're probably gonna do something really dumb and computer professionals? I don't think so. The reason why Apple's switch ads are so successful and well known is because they got everyone from high school students (Ellen, Hamilton, Jeremiah, Alex) to teachers (Fabiola Torres) and everyone else. The average people you meet on the street. Why computer professionals? Is this some kind of campaign to get people to switch from linux/mac os x server to windows or something? :rolleyes: Never going to happen, Microsoft...