Microsoft to unveil paid secuirty service

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bbarnhart, Feb 7, 2006.

1. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Well, MS is screwed no matter how they handle this situation, except of course with the solutions that they either make secure OS to begin with, or don't enter the market. If they give it away for free, they are in trouble for muscling the third party virus protectors out of business. If they charge for it, then the consumers get frustrated because they are paying extra to Microsoft for keep their own buggy software in line.
  2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

Dec 19, 2004
    bbarnhart, can you past a copy of article here. The Chicago Tribune requires registration to view the article.
  3. steve jr. macrumors 6502

Jul 4, 2005
    Akron, OH
    The link above is NOT correct As of 11:01 EST on 2-7-06 it is,5480030.story?coll=sns-technology-headlines

Microsoft to Unveil Paid Security Service

AP Business Writer
    Published February 7, 2006, 7:24 PM CST

SEATTLE -- A new security service from Microsoft Corp. will charge users $49.95 per year to better protect its Windows operating system from spyware, viruses and other Internet attacks.

Microsoft plans to release the product in early June.

Called Windows OneCare Live, the subscription service will compete with security products made by traditional Microsoft partners, including Symantec Corp. and McAfee Inc. -- although the software giant insists that its aim is not to run those companies out of business.

Ryan Hamlin, general manager of Microsoft's Technology Care and Safety Group, said Microsoft is less concerned with converting people already using other products. Instead, Hamlin says Microsoft's goal is to provide protection for users who don't have any added or up-to-date security -- a group that Microsoft estimates comprises 70 percent of consumer users.

"There's plenty of room here, kind of, for all of us," Hamlin said.

OneCare, which is already available for free in test form, aims to protect people running the most recent version of Windows against Internet attacks and intrusive spyware. It also promises to provide regular tuneups to help keep computers running smoothly, and offers users a way to back up and restore data.

The system will automatically update with the latest protections and occasionally add new features, Hamlin said.

Microsoft, whose Windows operating system and Internet Explorer browser are constant targets of worms, viruses and other disruptive attacks, announced more than a year ago that it would offer the paid service. Hamlin said nearly 200,000 people are already trying it out. Anyone who signs up for the test by April 30 can buy the paid service for just $19.95 per year.

The subscription fee is for up to three personal computers.

The service will initially be available only in English, although Hamlin said the company expects to launch test versions elsewhere in the world over the next 12 months.

Analyst Ted Schadler with Forrester Research said the $49.95 price tag is about even, if not slightly cheaper, than rival offerings, although clear comparisons are difficult to make.

He said it makes sense for the maker of the world's dominant computer operating system to have a product that better protects its customers, but he questioned whether Microsoft would have any more luck than its competitors in persuading more people to safeguard their systems.

"The big opportunity is to get to people who don't have any security," he said, but "Microsoft doesn't have any better way to get to those people than anybody else."

Shares of Microsoft fell 23 cents to close at $26.94 in trading Tuesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

* __

On the Net:

Copyright © 2006, The Associated Press
  4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Hahaha - "the bloated buggy software we overcharged you for in the first place is crap, so we're going to soak you for another $50 to keep it safe".

What a joke. I'll take my crap-free OS X any day thanks. :cool:
  5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    That sounds as believable as this statement: "We are from the government and we are here to help you."
  6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    This is racketeering.

I think the comedy is yet to occur. I think that this is truly, legally, racketeering so it'll be interesting to see if/when it is prosecuted.
  7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Microsoft is practically charging you yearly to use Windows. Just one more reason why Apple is better.

...When will people learn! :rolleyes:
  8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    My only conclusion is that Microsoft believes that most people have accepted Microsoft as being the only OS they can use. Though the OS market is limited when it comes to competitors.

If a company sold me a car and then tried to charge me a fee to not have it break down, I would never even consider using them.

I know that there are warranties, but this protection is offered against something that is preventable from the very conception of an operating system, if it is designed properly.

Unlike manufactured components, writing code is infinitely more reliable than the problems incurred with the mass production of highly specialized mechanical components. Final code (for the most part, and as as long as it was perfected to begin with) can be reproduced an infinite number of times without variance, it's simply an of digitally reproducing.

Replicating manufactured parts perfectly a million times or more is a lot harder.

Microsoft is defining arrogance lately.
  9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Just wait until it is announced that Leopard will run natively on PCs. :eek: :cool:
  10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, remember Godfather 2? This is the type of thing that's definitely going to be challenged legally. I mean, MS could leave holes in their OS that they would have fixed, just to get people to sign up for this. They see a hole, but don't bother fixing it. Hell, why not make their own holes?
  11. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005

I'll make you an OS, make you think it's the only OS on the planet so you'll use it despite the many flaws. Then, just when you think we might be making an OS that could actually be quite good, we just make it the same as before and charge you an extra $50 to keep the wolves at bay.
  12. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    wow, this gives me a brilliant entrepreneurial idea! i am going to write a program called "destroy OS X" which as the title says will open up security vulnerabilities and even introduce viruses and spyware to OS X. and after you pay me the initial $300 licensing fee, I will then charge you $50 a year for my "OS X cleaning" software, which will protect and clean your horrible OS X system! I'd make MILLIONS!!! oh way, thats if i DONT go to jail!!!
  13. Seasought macrumors 65816

Nov 3, 2005
  14. ziwi macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    Right back where I started...
    Total BS! I am sure some will still buy it. Shouldn't they pay anyone who uses their software as beta testers anyway? :)