Microsoft Unveils Mac Office 2008 Packages, Pricing

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by Mr. Dee, Sep 24, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Read the entire article here

2. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Expression Media? Interesting! I wonder whether we'll eventually get Blend too.

I expect that I'll get Office for free from work anyway :D

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I love my site license. Even the home/student version doesn't look that bad.

4. macrumors 6502a

Wow 400$ for the regular version and 500$ for the "special" media edition...

Thank God my mom is a student... However when they say:
    When they say comparable version, I'm guessing I can buy a student version of MS Office 2004 for the Mac for around 60$ then upgrade to 2008 for 10$ extra? Now I'm not the kind of guy who milks out companies or anyone but his is Microsoft... lol

Anyways, I'll be getting 2004 for free from my mom's work... So if I get that do you think I can upgrade to '08? lol

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

If you have access to a Site license, it must mean you should at least get access to the Standard and Special SKUs which both include the Exchange support through Entourage 2008. Microsoft needs to beef up the SKU values though, with the loss of Virtual PC which came with Office for Mac 2004 Pro Edition, the value looks like its struggling. Yes there are some nifty features in 2008 and I sure will be taking a look at it, but I think the sweet needs one more app. Its time to bring over OneNote I say.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume your mom is under a Volume License contract at work which gives her home rights/use. Then it would be assumed that if the Company gives her access to the 2008 software she should be able to upgrade her home license of it too. Remember, the license is on lease from the Company, its not hers. And if she leaves there is the issue of perpetual licensing. If I were you, I would look into getting the Office 2004 Student and Teacher Edition then take advantage of the free upgrade pricing for the appropriate pricing when it comes out.

7. macrumors 6502a

Yeah definitely, I have multiple ways of getting Office (legally) but the school store sells them for 64$..

So many things to buy yet so little cash... But it isn't really a company, it's more of a laboratory...

Thanks.

8. macrumors P6

Peace

Wonder if there's going to be an upgrade path like MS does with other products.

9. macrumors 65816

jackc

What kind of Automator actions do you think they're talking about?

And I guess for the Home and Student edition, anyone can qualify, it's not just for students anymore (or people pretending to be students)? I think I remember hearing about that before, but I wasn't sure.

10. macrumors G4

I was thinking this was Expression, but it is just a cataloging app from a different source. I am much more interested in the ability to connect to Exchange servers. Has Microsoft increased the functionality of Entourage or does it think that a cosmetic and UB upgrade to Entourage 2004 is good enough?

11. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Correct; they're dropping the silly pretense of the specially priced student and teacher edition. That's why it's called "Home and Student" instead of "Student and Teacher"...

Not sure what to do, personally...$149 is a lot for something that doesn't strike me as a total necessity with all the choices we have.

Scrivener + iWork might be enough for me...

12. macrumors regular

I'll pass thanks. iWork does all I need. :)

13. macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Hard to tell from the preview site. You might not get a good answer until January 2008.

14. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Microsoft Unveils Mac Office 2008 Packages, Pricing

[​IMG]

Microsoft has announced packages and pricing of their upcoming Office 2008, to be released in January.

Version:Notable Features:Price
    Home and Student Edition: Contains all core Office products, but lacks Exchange support : $149.95(full version only)
    Standard Edition: Core products, including Exchange support and support for Automator workflows : $399.95(full)/$239.95(upgrade)
    Special Media Edition: Standard Edition plus Expression Media for Mac (Windows product link) : $499.95(full)/$299.95(upgrade)

All versions have been further localized to Danish, Finnish & Norwegian (the "Nordic Pack".)

Also announced is a new technology guarantee. Buyers of Office 2004 from here on out will be eligible for an upgrade to Office 2008 for only the cost of shipping and handling.

Article Link

15. macrumors 68000

FJ218700

so if I have Office 2004, the upgrade is free plus S&H? Can't be right.

16. Editor emeritus

longofest

If you buy office 2004 today, you are eligible for a free upgrade.

17. macrumors 68000

atari1356

$150 isn't bad for the Home Edition.

For my needs though... I'll stick to NeoOffice.

That Expression Media things looks kind of interesting - it appears to be the result of Microsoft buying iView Media:

http://www.iview-multimedia.com/

18. macrumors 603

no exchange support for student edition?? wtf.

my college uses exchange.

**** microsoft

19. macrumors regular

ruckus

Wow is that what office is going for these days?

20. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Rubbish, Neo-Office is 5X better,

21. macrumors regular

Yateball

Can't believe they're giving a free upgrade....... I suppose they did it with XP to Vista too though.

That's awesome though, hopefully it's actually a good improvement cuz I liked 2004 quite a bit.

22. macrumors 6502a

kwood

I think it means if you buy it right now then you can get a free upgrade. Just like when Vista was announced, if you bought Windows XP they would give you a free upgrade to the equivalent edition of Vista plus shipping and handling.

23. macrumors 6502

zirkle2007

seems a little overpriced. why would anyone pay 499 for an office software package? It looks cool, but I'm not paying that much.

24. macrumors Core

i'll probably end up getting the home edition, i don't need exchange support, and really would like a better version of word/excel.

looking forward to trying it out though.
    can't believe its going to take so long for release though.

25. macrumors 65816

cwedl

Microsoft are being greddy as usual, obviously iWork 08 doesn't shake them! I think for my needs iWork 08 is fine!