Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft today updated its Office 2016 for Mac Preview, just over a month after it first launched, with an updated look and new features. Word received the most new features while OneNote received no new features. Visual updates include a colored top bar and a more refined bottom bar for Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Outlook and OneNote did not receive visual updates.

word159-800x524.png
The new look of Microsoft Word in Office 2016

The new version of Word received scrolling performance improvements, new user information settings in preferences, support for the most popular Word keyboard shortcuts, improved support for VoiceOver and other performance enhancements and bug fixes. New features include "custom dictionary" and "exclude dictionary" support, a new search feature for online document templates and a new Macro recording feature.

Outlook's improvements include networking enhancements for Exchange accounts, bug fixes and a new feature called Propose New Time. Meeting attendees can propose a new time for a meeting and the meeting organizers can view the proposed time and modify meeting proposals and then send updates to all of the attendees.

Word158-800x524.png
The older look of Microsoft Word in Office 2016

The additions to Excel include a new Analysis Toolpack, a new feature called "Solver" and improved support for VoiceOver and bug fixes. Finally, PowerPoint received improved VoiceOver support and known bug fixes.

Microsoft's Office 2016 for Mac Preview is available at no cost for all Mac users running OS X Yosemite. Microsoft has plans to officially launch the software in the second half of 2015, following this beta testing period.

Update: Microsoft has also released Office Delve for iPhone, enabling Office 365 users to find and discover shared documents from work colleagues.

Article Link: Microsoft Updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview with Updated Look and New Features

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I hate it when applications try to stand out so badly. Blue windows really? (and I'm guessing green for Excel etc)

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
Does Outlook support random signatures? I know it does in 2011, but it didn't when i tried one of the recent betas.

JayHova

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2015
New York, NY
i wish microsoft improved OneNote for Mac, would like to see more functionality and features that are available on the PC version.

Last edited:

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Microsoft today updated its Office 2016 for Mac Preview, just over a month after it first launched, with an updated look and new features. Word received the most new features while OneNote received no new features. Visual updates include a colored top bar and a more refined bottom bar for Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Outlook and OneNote did not receive visual updates.

ImageThe new look of Microsoft Word in Office 2016

The new version of Word received scrolling performance improvements, new user information settings in preferences, support for the most popular Word keyboard shortcuts, improved support for VoiceOver and other performance enhancements and bug fixes. New features include "custom dictionary" and "exclude dictionary" support, a new search feature for online document templates and a new Macro recording feature.

Outlook's improvements include networking enhancements for Exchange accounts, bug fixes and a new feature called Propose New Time. Meeting attendees can propose a new time for a meeting and the meeting organizers can view the proposed time and modify meeting proposals and then send updates to all of the attendees.

ImageThe older look of Microsoft Word in Office 2016

The additions to Excel include a new Analysis Toolpack, a new feature called "Solver" and improved support for VoiceOver and bug fixes.*Finally, PowerPoint received improved VoiceOver support and known bug fixes.

Microsoft's Office 2016 for Mac Preview is available at no cost for all Mac users running OS X Yosemite. Microsoft has plans to officially launch the software in the second half of 2015, following this beta testing period.

Article Link: Microsoft Updates Office 2016 for Mac Preview with Updated Look and New Features

Apple should continue to build out iWork and iWork for iCloud, adding new features and making it highly competitive with Office. There is. I reason why Apple needs to be played as a second-class citizen, always being behind the Windows version by a few years. Apple has what it takes to make a killer office productivity suite of its own.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple should continue to build out iWork and iWork for iCloud, adding new features and making it highly competitive with Office. There is. I reason why Apple needs to be played as a second-class citizen, always being behind the Windows version by a few years. Apple has what it takes to make a killer office productivity suite of its own.

I agree... I use iWork because of its syncing but Office does this now... I really like office 2013 on Windows, but I dislike Office 2011.

I am quite used to iWork, but the 2013 update to iWork really killed a lot of it for me....

Squid7085

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I like the coloring of the Office apps, for someone that uses Excel and Word daily, it is kind of nice to have that quick visual cue. However, the top color is just too much, what was wrong with the bottom bar. Why not color the tab and the status bar like the windows version? This change just looks out of place.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Really glad that they polished up Word: it was very laggy while scrolling in the previous build, but now it's very smooth.

Also, for those wanting to update, the AutoUpdate didn't seem to work for me. Instead, try to download the installation package directly from Microsoft's website (you can find the link by first opening AutoUpdate and then clicking the link in the description for the updates)

Tycho24

Suspended
Aug 29, 2014
Florida
The real question is...

Is it finally being offered free..???

You know, just to catch up with EVERY single other offering.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2013
I like the new look. Looks sleeker, lighter and cleaner. Less of the mess I'm used to with Office.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
The colored window can actually be reverted to the old look (gray title bar) in the preferences.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 22.18.49.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 22.18.49.png
    466.6 KB · Views: 328
  • Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 22.20.03.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-14 at 22.20.03.png
    425.1 KB · Views: 312

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
Can anyone tell me if this impacts Office 365 at all, or what version Office 365 is for Mac? I am preparing to switch to a rMBP now and have an Office 365 subscription.

jmh600cbr

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2012
Why is there no share options? In 2 clicks I should be able to send in a message or in an email.

Also, why didn't we get the cool caret that windows got?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.