Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

officelogo.jpg
Microsoft today released the 14.3.4 update for Office for Mac 2011, adding Office 365 compatibility in addition to a host of bug fixes. Previously, Office for Mac 2011 users had to uninstall Office for Mac and sign up for Office 365. Now, existing Office for Mac 2011 users can easily integrate their software with the subscription service.

The rest of the update addresses various bugs, including an issue where file names would change when saved to SkyDrive or SharePoint in Microsoft Word for Mac. The font Calibri Light was also added, fixing poor rendering of Office 2013 shared documents that used the font.

Other bug fixes include being able to coauthor a PowerPoint Web App session without being alerted to potential conflicts, an expiring token notification, and an issue where keyboard and mice commands would "lose control" during a PowerPoint for Mac slideshow. A full list of bug fixes can be found on the Microsoft Support site.

While Office 2011 for Mac is still being updated, a new version of Office for Mac may arrive in April 2014. This update to Office 2011 for Mac, which requires Mac OS X 10.5.8 or later, is available for free via Microsoft AutoUpdate or Microsoft's website.

Article Link: Microsoft Updates Office for Mac 2011 With Office 365 Compatibility, Bug Fixes

MUBiomed

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2010
They are really pushing this 365 issue. I hope they don't plan on pulling an adobe in 2014 because I won't pay the subscription. There are too many alternatives out there.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
2014.. Eh.. iWork better come along and support native MS files.

It can't, they're proprietary formats.

iWork is fantastic but if you're in a line of business where many people are collaborating on documents you might still need Office.

Of course, many companies are moving to online work like Google docs etc.

Apple really seemed to have squandered an fantastic opportunity with iWork.com

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Almost all companies / clients I deal with use office. And now with office365 hosting their emails, share point, etc, they have no reason to move.

I'm just wishing hoping, but you are right. There is no reason iWork would not use their own format.

Detektiv-Pinky

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Berlin, Germany
... and an issue where keyboard and mice commands would "lose control" during a PowerPoint for Mac slideshow.

Can anybody confirm that this update really fixes the issue?

I had to reinstall Office and prevent installing the latest updates because Powerpoint would stop reacting to my presenter during a lecture...

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
It can't, they're proprietary formats.
That's not completely true. The newer Office Open XML formats like .docx are documented ISO standards. Microsoft has also released the specifications for their older binary formats like .doc although not all features are described.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I consistently run into an issue where whilst having a document full-screened, and opening a new document, it'll open up over the first document (in its actual space) and get stuck there. Then Word will freeze, be completely useless, and I have to rage quit.

Sigh.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
comparing office to iwork is like comparing ferrari to fiat punto. iwork can do basic , but office simply owns it with features.

Or maybe you've never used iWork. Excel is better with functions then numbers is. But for most other things iWork does the job very well. I'd say pages is just as good as word and many people (myself included) prefer keynote to powerpoint.

ALange

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2013
Poland
Or maybe you've never used iWork. Excel is better with functions then numbers is. But for most other things iWork does the job very well. I'd say pages is just as good as word and many people (myself included) prefer keynote to powerpoint.

Imagine that i used iWork, and still thinking that Office suite is far more supperior over iWork suite.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains
With or without the update Office 2011 is terribly slow.......
iWorks is no option, if you are working with Office for your job. Next to this iWorks is even slower with the update cycle

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
comparing office to iwork is like comparing ferrari to fiat punto. iwork can do basic , but office simply owns it with features.

Unless you are the Dubai Police, many businesses may not need all features. I wish that however if Apple could put they act together they could upgrade it to something like a Vito.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Not entirely true. Keynote, though not updated since 2009, still is better than PowerPoint in many respects. Apple does need to upgrade the iWork suite, though, or admit that it's dead.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
They are really pushing this 365 issue. I hope they don't plan on pulling an adobe in 2014 because I won't pay the subscription. There are too many alternatives out there.

Yeah, for home users and hobbyists. But name ONE that does REALLY work in a business environment where you receive many documents from external parties.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
You know, I really like Pages but for some reason whenever I come to write a paper or essay or something I still open up Word.

Hopefully MS improved Word 2014 considerably, really digging the look/feel of 2013 on Windows.

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK

While I would agree that Keynote is way better than PowerPoint there is no way that Numbers is even close to Excel in any way and Pages is more for DTP rather than word processing so its really comparing apples to oranges. For business users there is really no substitute for MS Office right now.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
iWorks is no option, if you are working with Office for your job. Next to this iWorks is even slower with the update cycle

As far as I'm concerned, Appleworks ... cough ... iWork is dead. Apple hasn't committed any resources to it outside iOS updates for many, many years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.