Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
I was looking through a couple of mice the other day and when looking at a Microsoft Optical mouse the picture on the back was of the mouse working with an iMac... Now I notice that Microsoft are trying to be more stylish in the presentation of their products recently. Perhaps they sifted through hundreds of photos of PCs realised that none of them had any style and had to resort to a Mac.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
i think what is going on most of the time when you see these things, like toshiba having advertising with a mac in the picture or in the slightly more ironic situation, microsoft using a mac for it's product show, is that these company outsource their advertising and everyone knows what the design folks tend to use? right? Mac's and lots of them! it's apple's bread and butter, the way renewing corporate licenses are windows'.

i don't find it particularly funny or interesting personally, but others do and to each his own.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Even better, the support info sheet that came with a 1998 Dell PC has screenshots of their support site in IE on the Mac :)

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
of course it does :D everyone uses mac! :cool: everyone love mac :cool: everyone knows it!!! :cool:

now what i want to see if Bill Gates saying "now here's our new tablet, we know you wanted ease-of-use, appealing design and world peace so now, i present OS X"

it's plausible, right?

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
Originally posted by melchior
of course it does :D everyone uses mac! :cool: everyone love mac :cool: everyone knows it!!! :cool:

now what i want to see if Bill Gates saying "now here's our new tablet, we know you wanted ease-of-use, appealing design and world peace so now, i present OS X"

it's plausible, right?

to quote Wayne Cambell; "yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt".

In other words (quoting Cassandra): "...and if a frog had wings it wouldn't bump his ass when it hopped".

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
the problem is that when I have a conversation with IT PC users they narrow mindedly believe that that is all there is to a mac: a nice looking case.

In truth there is much more to it than that as we all know. I list off a load of wonderful things about mac (such as dragging a JPG into a folder and OSX knowing that I want to save the JPG). MS doesn't do that.

Also, I recently downloaded the Animatrix trailers and imported them in iMovie (the first time I really had any need to use it). I was fully in tune with the app in no time. It so easy and yet so powerful. I don't think people understand that simplicity can be combined with power.

At work I do some product selection and we always look for usability, so why don't people do that more with operating systems.

Another thing (I'm on one here). Today at work (on a PC) I wanted to create a shortcut to an application and had to sift through the whole bloody hard drive to find it... WHY?

maradong

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
Luxembourg
Re: Microsoft use Macs to advertise

Originally posted by jacobj
I was looking through a couple of mice the other day and when looking at a Microsoft Optical mouse the picture on the back was of the mouse working with an iMac... Now I notice that Microsoft are trying to be more stylish in the presentation of their products recently. Perhaps they sifted through hundreds of photos of PCs realised that none of them had any style and had to resort to a Mac.

got a link?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Originally posted by jacobj
Also, I recently downloaded the Animatrix trailers and imported them in iMovie (the first time I really had any need to use it). I was fully in tune with the app in no time. It so easy and yet so powerful. I don't think people understand that simplicity can be combined with power.
Sorry that I'm off topic, but I had a question. Which Animatrix movie did you import to DV? I've tried to convert 'Program' and 'A Detective Story' to mpg2 for burning on a VCD, but the audio was messed up. Turns out that there's two soundtracks on those movies and the conversion only used the 1st soundtrack.

I'm wondering if I import these movies into iMovie first and then export them to ToastVCD, then it might work. But I'd like to know if iMovie handles the separate soundtracks before I invest the time.

OK, back on topic. There was a Gateway ad that was highlighting the media capabilities of their PCs. The only problem was that the guy in the picture was using a TiBook.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-All

I love those Microsoft Office v.X print ads in the magazines with an FP iMac next to a "beige box" PC.

What a contrast. I love those guys at the MacBU. Best Microsofties we Macusers could consider friends.

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
They probably use macs in their ads because macs are the best looking computers! :D

they also probably want to get some mac people to buy microsoft products.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
-Tazo, et al.

Intel just did it with some of the online Centrino advertising just a month ago.

When loading News.com an ad would come up showing a PowerBook 150 bouncing around and 'unwiring' itself.

I guess they thought that the PowerBook was so old, nobody'd notice.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Originally posted by ftaok
Sorry that I'm off topic, but I had a question. Which Animatrix movie did you import to DV? I've tried to convert 'Program' and 'A Detective Story' to mpg2 for burning on a VCD, but the audio was messed up. Turns out that there's two soundtracks on those movies and the conversion only used the 1st soundtrack.

I'm wondering if I import these movies into iMovie first and then export them to ToastVCD, then it might work. But I'd like to know if iMovie handles the separate soundtracks before I invest the time.

Sorry, still using it, but I haven't noticed any problems. I'll come back to you..mind you, if you do find a solution, then please post it. In my experience when someone encounters problems like these I will do eventually. So I'd like to make a mental note of how to fix it.

Sorry not to be more help!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.