Microsoft will launch a 64-bit version of Windows XP this month.

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by groov', Apr 16, 2003.

1. groov' macrumors regular

Dec 12, 2001
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    there's nothing in there about MS, its just about AMD getting Opteron out the door.

Do you have a different link about MS and 64bit?

3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    Quote from the article:

Guess you mis-read :)

Apple one step behind crushing Windows, eh? Happens all the friggin time... guess I'm used to it.

4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    The Opteron is targeted at the corporate world mostly for servers. Not the desktop although it can be used. How is this a win for microsoft? And again this is a 64 bit version of Windows so how many problems do you think it will introduce?
  5. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
    Re: Microsoft will launch a 64-bit version of Windows XP this month.

Why? There's no 64bit pc box to my knowledge so what good is a 64 bit POS windows?

How about we wait till something actaully happens before awarding the crown ?
  6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    ah, did miss that, but I don't think it spells doom for Apple. So what if MS has 64bit - they still need to get people to buy the machines to run it, that's going to take a while.

With Macs and our need to get a new machine now, well, the 970 will be grabbed up fast.

7. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

Nov 24, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Microsoft has already had Windows XP 64bit for a few years. This is nothing new. Itanium has been out for a while but come on, that chip is a waste.
  8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    Yes Win XP Pro is 64 compatible, I thought I saw that somewhere.
  9. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    The article is misworded. What is actually happening is that Microsoft will ANNOUNCE that there will be a 64bit Windows for the AMD Hammer (Opteron and Athlon64) code-named "Anvil". When it will ship is another story again.

Microsoft is shipping a BETA 64-bit Windows for the Itanium... or at least some people claim to have received one.

Dave Cutler, now at Microsoft, is apparently enthusiastic about the Hammer. Some machines will be on the market in May or June. But they will be running 32-bit Windows for some time, I'm afraid.
  10. hacurio1 macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2002
    As far as I know, only a "special" edition of XP Profesional, "special" being the key word here, will be released in 64 bits to complement Operton. Probably windows XP home edition will be released in 64 bits when the athlon 64 is released in September. I'm pretty sure The new 970 will be out by then, and panther will be released around september, or earlier. Could be wrong though.....iduno.
    Windows, though, is a microsoft product so there isn't a reason to worry about it. It will probably take around 20+ service packs after it's released to have it working properley. It will have lots!.....lots!......lots!.......lots!......of bugs.

Operton will be a great processor, and if you whant to fully enjoy its power, get Linux!!.......

In my case.....I just can't wait to put my hands on one of those 970s....jeje
  11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Windows XP 64-bit "for a few years"? Too many Molsons for you.
  12. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    windows xp 64bit has been around for a while now, everytime i go to install a major update from microsofts site it asks me if i want xp service pack for windows xp or 64 bit windows xp.

edit: yep, if you read further on this page a 64bit version has been out since 2001. this is just the new one for the itanium 2
  13. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Using simple math... We will define the total of "Problems" on the 32bit version as PROBLEMS. So it goes to reason that...

32 Bit version = PROBLEMS
    64 Bit version = PROBLEMS ^ 2

Attached below is a picture of me working on current server issues on my Windows 2000 Server....

Attached Files:

14. e-coli macrumors 68000

Jul 27, 2002
    Yes, but only 59 of the 64 will work poperly.
  15. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2003
    First, I don't think there is such a thing as "too many Molsons". Well, at least until the next day :D

The 64 bit world Microsoft is VERY complicated compared to Apples. Apple has one choice and it is the 970. The problem for Microsoft is that it needs to support now at least TWO 64 bit processors ! And I don't think the two are code compatible. There is also likely a third that Microsoft will have to deal will.
    The two are ; Intel's Itanic and the other is AMD's Athlon64 (or Opteron). Now Intel has lots O cash and is hedging bets. If AMD's Athlon 64 takes off, Intel will want to counter.
    So... I think Intel has a processor similar to AMD's waiting in the wings.

Anyway the point is Microsoft has to deal with at least two 64 bit processors. They are having hard enough time dealing with just one 32 bit code base.:p
  16. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow