Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBunny

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 15, 2004
Can anyone see if their MS Word 2004 does this as well. When I have a word document open, usually around 500K - 2MB in size, MS word will constantly run at about 50% CPU :(

Using
iBook G4 1.33Ghz
768RAM
60GB Hard Drive
Panther 10.3.9
I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall office, however that did not correct my problem.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Ever since MicroSoft s-canned the original MS Office for Mac code and switched Mac users over to the crossplatform-based code they have all been resource pigs.

Before the new code, MS Word was a zippy app that didn't take a bunch of resource.

Don't think it'll ever get better, because it's not really a Mac app but one that just happens to compile and run on the Mac.

Heck, it's not too far removed from a System 8 app, just a bunch of new icons and code cleanup to get it to run as a Carbon application.

Still bugs from way back when, though it has been updated to take advantage of a couple new OS features every upgrade.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
It does take CPU time when it's sat doing nothing... but never 50% - usually for me 7-8%. Sure there isn't something silly like VBScript chugging away in the background? Or is it any document above a certain size?

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
brap said:
It does take CPU time when it's sat doing nothing... but never 50% - usually for me 7-8%. Sure there isn't something silly like VBScript chugging away in the background? Or is it any document above a certain size?

Its usually about 5-10% for me, too, on a 1Ghz Powerbook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.