Microsoft Word 2004 takes alot of CPU useage.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBunny, May 7, 2005.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

Apr 15, 2004
    Can anyone see if their MS Word 2004 does this as well. When I have a word document open, usually around 500K - 2MB in size, MS word will constantly run at about 50% CPU :(

iBook G4 1.33Ghz
    60GB Hard Drive
    Panther 10.3.9
    I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall office, however that did not correct my problem.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Ever since MicroSoft s-canned the original MS Office for Mac code and switched Mac users over to the crossplatform-based code they have all been resource pigs.

Before the new code, MS Word was a zippy app that didn't take a bunch of resource.

Don't think it'll ever get better, because it's not really a Mac app but one that just happens to compile and run on the Mac.

Heck, it's not too far removed from a System 8 app, just a bunch of new icons and code cleanup to get it to run as a Carbon application.

Still bugs from way back when, though it has been updated to take advantage of a couple new OS features every upgrade.
  3. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    It does take CPU time when it's sat doing nothing... but never 50% - usually for me 7-8%. Sure there isn't something silly like VBScript chugging away in the background? Or is it any document above a certain size?
  4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Its usually about 5-10% for me, too, on a 1Ghz Powerbook.