Microsoft Word and Spellcheck not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alielizadubois, Feb 26, 2007.

1. alielizadubois macrumors member

I have done a search on this and came up with some results, but I have had no luck in fixing my problem.

I have Microsoft Office Mac 2004 Student and Teacher Edition. My spellcheck, however, is not working. It does not pick up words that are misspelled, and when I click spellcheck, it automatically says that the document is done being checked.

I have checked the language under language tools, and it is English, as is the language under International in system preferences.

Has anyone had this problem and can offer help?

Thanks!

2. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I had this problem a couple weeks ago, and I followed these instructions from the Word help files, and it worked

I have no idea how my document got marked to not check spelling...but it worked

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Woops- guess someone gave you the answer didn't they- hope it works I will leave this up just in case.

No, I have not had the problem. I have a few things that probably won't help, but wouldn't hurt to try-

Have you gone through all the preferences to see if something is checked weird in there?

check for microsoft updates- Under "help"-->"check for updates"

Have you deleted the preferences file for Word?

In case you don't know where or what they are- they should be in your library folder in your "Users" folder --> "Library" --> "preferences" --> "microsoft" --> In there you can move the word preferences file to the trash (it will create another one) and you might also try trashing the "Proofing Tool Preferences" just to see if that is the issue. I am not sure if trashing any others would help but you might look around in there.

Next step I think would be reinstalling it if you haven't already.

Good luck

4. alielizadubois thread starter macrumors member

None of these suggestions have worked, but for some reason I do not have a "proofing tools" file.

maybe this is the problem?
    How do I get the proofing tools?

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

You got me! Have you tried deleting everything and reintalling? I have 2004 office but is the regular not student/teacher- although it should not be any different to my knowledge.