Microsoft Word Equation Editor Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by R.Youden, Mar 8, 2007.

1. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Hi guys, request for help again!

I have generated an equation in Microsoft word using the equation editor which is fine. Now I want to change its colour from black text to white text so I can put it into a Keynote presentation with a black background.

Any ideas how I do this? In equation editor you can change all the parameters apart from font colour. Or is there another application for making equations that can have their colour changed.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I tried this once, couldn't find an answer. My work-around was to create a white rectangle in powerpoint and place the equation in it.

You may also want to try Texpoint which allows for adding equations to powerpoint slides using LaTeX

3. BarryW macrumors member

I'm not sure you can.
    I don't think word sees the equation as a text object, thus you cannot apply text formatting to it.

You could do a screen capture of your equation and edit it in photoshop, if you only have one or two.

Or try Latex, there are plenty online tuts to help you out with colours and the maths equations.

4. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I am going to have a play with LaTeX.

I am downloading MacTeX. 700MB, that is bigger than an Intel 10.4.X update! How can something that I understand to be an advanced text editor be THAT big?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You should take a look at TexPoint: http://texpoint.necula.org/

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

Hmm, LaTeX is not a normal text editor, as it doesn't work WYSIWYG. If you didn't work with it yet, you might need some work to get used to it. It's a great tool though, much better than Word for doing equations etc.

7. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

You could always try openoffice (or neooffice). OpenOffice will require X11. They both have great equation editors.

8. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Thanks for the suggestion. I have now created my formula with white font. Now the problem is getting the .odf into Keynote. I have tried importing it into Gimpshop and then into Keynote but it isnt happening. Does anyone know of a way to convert from .odf into .png for example (or something that Keynote can understand).

Thanks again for your help.

9. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Print to PDF. If power point does not let you import a pdf file properly, Preview should be able to convert it into png or jpeg.

10. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020

R.Youden

After spending ALL day on this I have found an app that will do it for me. MathMagic. It costs a lot but at the moment I have 30 starts for free (no rebooting for me for a while!) that should get me through this presentation.

The print to PDF started to work but when I copied the text it couldn't format it properly. Ah well.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

11. Steve.s macrumors newbie

12. newbie2mac12345 macrumors newbie

Equation Editor

To get Equation Editor, simply go to:-

Insert >> Object >> Microsoft Equation.

Simple as that.... no need to download extra software and then spend time learning how to use it.

Hope that helps.

Newbie2mac12345.

13. pbbaker123 macrumors regular

I wish I know what an "equation" was used for, other than spreadsheet apps?