Microsoft WORD for MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by California, Sep 28, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Hey all. I am just musing on the issue of Word for the Mac (or Office).

Just realized that my 1994 Powerbook ran Word at about the same speed as did my first 2001 400mhz Titanium Powerbook

and Word runs the same speed on a G5 iMac 2.0ghz
    and Word runs the same speed on a 1.5ghz Powerbook.

SO what gives? I'll bet it runs the same on Intel Macs, too. For my purposes, Word is my most important app.

Why is it so slow? And will EvilSoft stop Mac support after 2007?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I believe that the Mac version of Office is MS' third most profitable product, so I don't see them dropping it any time soon.

3. ddekker macrumors regular

speed

I have often wondered things like this, I can say I notice office to run poorly on my mac, but it does seem the same speed on all my macs from old and slow to newer faster machines. I am a recent switcher from Windoz, but I often wondered why things like Calculator take as long to fire on new wicked machines or 10 year old win 95 machines... its the most basic of software, i doubt it has been re-written, so logic tells me it should fire faster on a faster machine...hmmm.. well I write about things like this on my blog quite often... check it out sometime

D

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I found Word to be faster on my C2D over my old Powerbook, even considering it's not Intel native. I use NeoOffice, anyway.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I've never thought Word (or any of Office) was slow. I am not exactly what you mean by 'slow' anyway. It doesn't open very fast? Or compared the the Windows counterpart? I think NeoOffice sucks.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

My copy of word runs very well on my ibook G4 768MB RAM. Maybe you need more ram in your computers beacuse my office is not the fastest but it gets the job done.

Bless

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Word 98 on most of my System 7 PowerPC machines is way way faster than Word 2004 on my PowerBook G4.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

Word on my MBP (with 2GB RAM) runs slower than on my IBM ThinkPad T42 with 1.25GB of RAM. But I put up with it because of Rosetta (which is supposed to see some updates/kinks worked out in 10.4.8) and the fact that I get more out of the Mac, in general, than I do out of the IBM (because of the OS).

Microsoft has said they are working on Office 2007 for the Mac, so it is definitely not disappearing. I think Apple should make a suite comparable to Office (iWork doesn't count).

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Bloat. It's one of the things Microsoft is good at. At least it's not cabonized.