Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

billmister

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2007
I would take Pages over Word. Once you learn how to use it, it makes it so much easier. Anyway if you want to share with word can't you just "File" and "Export to" and word?

Masquerade

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2007
3. .Pages is not a file. It is a folder with your stuff inside. You will have trouble uploading it to emails. This means that you can't share it even with someone using a mac. You have to convert it into .doc to send. This is the biggest disappointment.

convert to pdf or zip it. im impress to not hear that the hole application gets slower as the document embigerrs (starting at 3 pages on a G4 1.4GHz, +-7 pages on a G5 2GHz). really annoys me (i see that at a friend's house too).. Word don't get sluggish in this way. no no no

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Pages is excellent for some and a huge waste of time for others. Like OS' it is all about using the right tool for the job.

My problem with Pages is that is seems to corrupt itself (has happen 5 or 6 times) and I can never open it.

Picture 1.png

seasurfer

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
3. .Pages is not a file. It is a folder with your stuff inside. You will have trouble uploading it to emails. This means that you can't share it even with someone using a mac. You have to convert it into .doc to send. This is the biggest disappointment.

convert to pdf or zip it. im impress to not hear that the hole application gets slower as the document embigerrs (starting at 3 pages on a G4 1.4GHz, +-7 pages on a G5 2GHz). really annoys me (i see that at a friend's house too).. Word don't get sluggish in this way. no no no

Does it get slow? Interesting to know.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I just wanted to vent my anger for wasting 79 dollars.
Should you ever consider a future version of iWork, remember that Apple offers a free 30-day (fully-functional) trial that you can download from their website.

Word don't get sluggish in this way. no no no
On an Intel Mac, Word/Excel 2004 can most definitely become sluggish with a large file! yes yes yes :D This is why some folks can't wait for the Universal Binaries in Office 2008!

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Yes, Word is very slow on Intel at the moment but iWork is kind of slow on multi-page documents. However it is still faster than Work 2004 I'm waiting for '08 Then maybe I'll buy.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
now now, no need to get bitter when somebody offers an opinion that differs from yours!

huh, opinion? we were obviously discuss "facts", not opinion. I have no problem with whoever "like" "dislike", "think" "IMHO". but i do have problem with whoever refuse to admit the fact and try to find every possible way to confuse the fact that iwork is NOT the preferred app for most users.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
Uh, Yeah Word is industry standard walk into any office and I guarantee you that you will see Word many times. Word is better for Professionals Period!

It all depends on how you define 'better'. So many companies out there don't really understand what their employees need out of a word processor that they just buy the default, Word. In fact, I think Word should be referred to as the industry default, not industry standard, because it basically gets chosen out of apathy, not wanting to explore other (perhaps more cost-efficient) options.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Uh, Yeah Word is industry standard walk into any office and I guarantee you that you will see Word many times. Word is better for Professionals Period!

Not necessarily, dash, semicolon, question mark.

Statements like this always assume a private definition of "professional" -- a universe which only includes you and people like you, I guess. Incidentally, if I was concerned about what I saw in "any office," I would not be using a Mac.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
It all depends on how you define 'better'. So many companies out there don't really understand what their employees need out of a word processor that they just buy the default, Word. In fact, I think Word should be referred to as the industry default, not industry standard, because it basically gets chosen out of apathy, not wanting to explore other (perhaps more cost-efficient) options.

No businesses use office because it has more functions than any other software. it's more known and it's easy to learn it's compatible mainly because everyone uses it. If you send a word file they can use if you were to send a Pages file they can't use it of course they can send you a PDF. But then they can't edit it kinda worthless. not only that no one offers a decent database except filemaker but apple doesn't make one. That's why business use office.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Exactly. I have Office:mac under Leopard and Office 2K under Windows XP (when MS isn't accusing me of being a filthy software pirate due to bugs in WGA as happened today) and have tired of worrying about formatting when going back and forth. I just send the stuff as a .doc or whatever and let them make whatever changes they want until it is done and then I fix the formatting on my Mac. In particular, fonts are a real problem. I recently did a project proposal and had a really nice template which looked excellent on my Mac but on the Windows version it was horrible because it was using fonts that Windows doesn't have.

[Etc...]

Thank you for this real world experience with so-called "compatibility." The reality is, if you want real, true compatibility, you need to keep things very simple. So we've got these powerful desktop computers and sophisticated software, yet we are prepared to dumb down our work products so they're "compatible?" Seems backwards to me.

The other blinding reality, as I see it, is that most documents which are shared are still owned and completed by one member of the collaboration team -- who will be responsible for final formatting and production. Anyone who doesn't know how to deal with formatting issues probably should not be responsible for this work product.

One of my frequent challenges is dealing with badly formatted Word documents. I know from experience how few Word users actually know how to format correctly (not that Word makes this very easy). Bottom line: compatibility is not a reality so much as a phantom to be chased. I sure would not built my work around it!

Wow...I didn't expect it to be so crowded here. I just wanted to vent my anger for wasting 79 dollars.

1. As I pointed out earlier, the only application which knows Word formats natively is Word. This will always be the case.

2. The folder document format has some advantages, one of which is that original graphics are saved along with changed graphics, which makes reversion easy.

3. Again, it depends on why you are sending the file to someone else. For most purposes, you don't want to send them a .doc file anyway!

4. See above, re: graphics.

5. Learn to use styles. This function is the key to understanding Pages and is implemented vastly better than Word.

6. Practicality is where you find it.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No businesses use office because it has more functions than any other software. it's more known and it's easy to learn it's compatible mainly because everyone uses it. If you send a word file they can use if you were to send a Pages file they can't use it of course they can send you a PDF. But then they can't edit it kinda worthless. not only that no one offers a decent database except filemaker but apple doesn't make one. That's why business use office.

More functions? That's like buying a piece of stereo equipment because it's got more knobs. In my experience, most people don't use 90% of the "functions" Word has, and few people truly understand the other 10%.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I find it ironic that about half the folks posting to a thread about word processors seem to have considerably difficulty with the English grammar :rolleyes:

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
More functions? That's like buying a piece of stereo equipment because it's got more knobs. In my experience, most people don't use 90% of the "functions" Word has, and few people truly understand the other 10%.

How is that like buying a stereo because it has more Knobs? What about excel, many people know the functions they have to know them to do their Job.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
How is that like buying a stereo because it has more Knobs? What about excel, many people know the functions they have to know them to do their Job.

More functions does not necessarily equal better, only the illusion of better. One of the major problems with the way software has been developed (especially by Microsoft) is chronic feature bloat. Instead of implementing the features people actually use well, the developers continually cram more and more features into the package with little thought to how they are implemented. A laundry list of features is no way to judge the quality of software.

As for Excel (or Word, for that matter), if you need specific features offered only by that software, then by all means. But in my experience, only a very small fraction of people who use Excel actually have any need for it. They could use either a much simpler spreadsheet application, or none at all.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
As for Excel (or Word, for that matter), if you need specific features offered only by that software, then by all means. But in my experience, only a very small fraction of people who use Excel actually have any need for it. They could use either a much simpler spreadsheet application, or none at all.
Very true and it's one reason why I think Excel is garbage. 1% of the populous needs all that power. Since we know you're not going to slim it down how about a simple and advance modes Microsoft?

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I'm having a fight with Word on Mac and on Windows.

First was graphics, looked fine on Mac then I loaded up with Word on Windows. I got a bunch of boxes that said ... need QuickTime to render or something like that.
OK. Then I converted the pdfs to png files. Alright, I can see them in Word on windows now.
But, now I print it out and the pictures (png) look crappy.
Then I realized that I had "save as" the pdf to png at 150 dpi. Ok that looks better, but still not great.
The original pdf looks fine with Preview. Excellent. The 300 dpi from the original pdf looks ... ok, not great, pixelated.
I insert the original pdf and the 300 dpi into a Word document. The 300 dpi version prints much better! What !!
I go back to Preview and try to "save as" the original pdf to 600 dpi.
But ... the Preview of the 600 dpi version saves 600 dpi but has the same number of pixels as the 300 dpi version of the file ???

What is the best way to get pictures to print using Word?
Can I get Preview to save as to higher resolution? Do I need to do something else?

Help !!!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Very true and it's one reason why I think Excel is garbage. 1% of the populous needs all that power. Since we know you're not going to slim it down how about a simple and advance modes Microsoft?

A scary-large proportion of the Excel documents sent to me are simple tables consisting of no calculations whatsoever. Maybe if Word made table creation more straight-forward, people would not turn to Excel so often for this task. Even the Excel documents I see which include calculations are documents I probably should not be able to edit. Do you really want me to be able to change the financial report you just sent me? Should I really need to buy a $400 software package just to look at either one?

T

Tonerl

Pages has mail-merge but only if the dataset is in your address book! I certainly have no wish to populate my address book, do a mail-merge, and then delete all the added items. For now, I'll use Word 2003 under VMware Fusion but I'll take a look at Neooffice.

I generally use RTF rather than DOC because Microsoft changed the DOC format a number of times (yes, there are people who still use Word '97) because I have yet to see a word processor that can render DOC format faithfully.

I hope that Pages matures into a fully-fledged alternative to Word. That would be worth waiting for - and buying.

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera

Why do you own a Mac? Because it's more known and because everyone uses it? Or because it offers you something that another computer wouldn't?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
not only that no one offers a decent database except filemaker but apple doesn't make one. That's why business use office.
Apple owns FileMaker, by the way. And the closest thing Office has to a database is Access, and that's really stretching it. For a decent database, see Oracle, MySQL, etc. or, if your definition of decent is warped, perhaps even SQL Server. ;)

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
huh, opinion? we were obviously discuss "facts", not opinion. I have no problem with whoever "like" "dislike", "think" "IMHO". but i do have problem with whoever refuse to admit the fact and try to find every possible way to confuse the fact that iwork is NOT the preferred app for most users.

again, no reason for you to be so hostile when others offer a view that you don't share....and everything I had in my post was "fact" which didn't even contradict your statements......so what's with the hostility?

If you're not open to other solutions than what people say is the most common one, well, so be it.......if going with Word is a perfectly safe decision for your situation, then go for it

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
3. .Pages is not a file. It is a folder with your stuff inside. You will have trouble uploading it to emails. This means that you can't share it even with someone using a mac. You have to convert it into .doc to send. This is the biggest disappointment....

I don't have that problem with it. I'm able to send .pages documents through Mail and even through aol which is notorious for such issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.