Microsoft Word work files reappearing in the trash and not deleting

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ben Kei, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

Oct 30, 2002
    London UK

I'm having a repeated problem at work currently whereby Word work files keep appearing as rescued items in my trash. They then won't delete saying they're in use, regardless of whether word (or any other office suite) is open or not.

I can delete them by opening them up, making a small change and re-saving but the next time it's been rebooted it'll be back sure enough.

We run about 20 macs on network user accounts here and it seems to happen on some of the accounts but not others and is really bugging some people who now have literally hundreds of work files in their trash that won't delete.

any ideas?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

Mar 20, 2007
    I've seen this issue where the user didn't have appropriate permissions to delete the files.

I can't remember exactly what we did to fix it, but it may be a starting point. Just make sure that permissions across the network, and on each mac are the same.

3. bupsy macrumors newbie

Sep 3, 2007
    Having the same problem over here, except the word work files are being stored in the same directory as the original word document. The files can be moved from folder to folder but cannot be deleted because it says the file is in use. Can anyone help with this issue?