Microsoft Xbox

Discussion in 'Games' started by tim1978, Dec 4, 2004.

1. tim1978 macrumors newbie

What do you Mac user think if the Microsoft Xbox? Is it worth giving microsoft $150 instead of sony?

2. Blackheart macrumors 6502a

Blackheart

It's not an argument of whether to give Microsoft or Sony your money. It's a personal preference on which product you think is giving you the most, feature for $. To many people, it comes down to which games are available for the systems. I own an Xbox but I can see why people would have Sony's PS 2. I have no issues against either, just a game choice preference.

3. Devie macrumors 6502a

I own all three current home consoles, and I personally rather the GameCube to all, then the Xbox, only for Xbox Live...
    It all comes down to personal preference, what games do you like? What franchises have you come to enjoy? Which control is most comfortable for you? Etc etc.

4. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I really like my XBox but not for the reasons you may think. I have a modded XBox with a 120 GB HDD in it, and it's the homebrew stuff I use it for mostly. XBox Media Centre is a great app, and MAMEoX is a lot of fun too. I don't mind the games on the XBox but I'd prefer the Japanesse games you get with the PS2. So is the XBox worth it? If mine wasn't modded and there wasn't such a big home brew scene behind it I'd say no, but that's just my personal opinion. Technically it's a great console but the commercial games don't interest me too much.

5. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

In my opinion I like the Xbox more. Mostly for the Halo games. It's like Blackheart said, it comes down to the games you want to play. Look at the titles for both systems and see which intrest you more. If you want better graphics then Xbox is the way to go.

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

I own an XBox. It has a good mix between system capabilities and game availability. I still enjoy playing the GameCube for multiplayer games, though.

7. James L macrumors 6502a

The fact that it is from Microsoft is irrelevant. A lot of people are "band wagon" Microsoft haters just because they make a ****** OS. They also make some decent products, and the XBOX is a great system.

Myself, I prefer PS2, but only because that is what I have had for a few years. The XBOX system is a bit newer and has a bit better graphics. Why don't you rent them all from a video store for a weekend and see which one works better for you?

Incidently, I think when you look at the console sales stats the number of units sold are something like this:

PS2: 70-80 million units
    XBOX: 15 million units

These numbers aren't solid, but I read them somewhere recently. Either way, those numbers show both consoles are great. Just try both and get the one that suits you.

8. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I have an Xbox and love it. I honestly believe that if Sony didn't have the contracts with Rockstar that more people would be more likely to switch to xbox because the games look better. Xbox gets almost all the games PS2 gets, including the GTA Series. Just a little bit later. But Xbox has it's own games that make it very competitive like Halo. Plus theres Xbox Live which is totally awsome. I mostly game online, so i chose xbox over Ps2 because theres a lot more online games for xbox that i'm interested in.

9. williamsonrg macrumors 6502

I own an X-Boc and a Gamecube and I have played a PS2 extensively enough to be able to comment on it I think, and, as I was just saying in another thread, I very much prefer the X-Box. Here are a few reasons:

1) Good games. Enough good exclusives, plus most ports have at least slightly better graphics. Nintendo also has some good exclusives, if you're a big fan of Mario and Zelda (especially the Zelda that will be out by next Christmas).
    2) X-Box Live is a great online service, with just one gamertag keeping you set across every game you play. Throw in downloadable content that is almost always free (and practically Apple-like in its simplicity compared to online options with PS2).
    3) Better graphics than the PS2, slightly better than Gamecube. Graphics shouldn't be your only selling-point, but when one version of a game looks a lot better than another, it makes a difference.
    4) Halo and Halo 2. They are a phenomena, beyond my "games" category listed above.
    5) This is totally a personal preference thing, but I'll mention it anyway: I HATE the PS controllers, always have and always will. I've played a PS more than enough to get used to them, and I just don't like them. I much prefer both the X-Box or the Gamecube (although Gamecube doesn't work well for sports games).
    6) X-Box has HDD, although I suppose this is an optional accessory for PS2, isn't it? Either way, I love not having to use memory cards, and also the MUCH smaller loading times (try playing GTA on both systems).

Alright, those are all the reasons I can think of for the moment... Hope they helped, I was trying to give my opinion without sounding like a fanboy. The PS2's main advantage is that it has a ton more games. Personally, I have found very few games that are exclusive to the PS2 that are worth buying a system over. But as folks have said, that's a very personal thing, so that doesn't mean much. If you're a huge Final Fantasy fan, then it's probably no contest.

Let us know what you decide.

10. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

it was the built in HD and software modding to pirate games to screw M$ more that swayed me to xbox

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The game library always makes or breaks a console. This is proven by the PS2's success despite being inferior hardware to the xBox. Most of the games I play are for PS2, and I have never found a contoller that works better than Sony's.

The Xbox has better graphics but the latest games for the PS2 have excellent graphics, the difference is noticeble but not night and day.

It all comes down to which games you like, as others have said.

12. Souljas macrumors regular

i personally think that it is worth getting an xbox for halo by itself :D , 4 player halo mmmmmmm :p . If you want online play i suggest xbox with Xbox live it is seriously good, i personally think that the PS2 is aged alot and the graphics are really not that good.

13. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

The PS2 is nowhere near as good with graphics as the XBox, or even the GameCube.

14. asphalt-proof macrumors 6502a

I haven't played the other consoles to know about games selection. SUffice to say that looking at the selections, I haven't found anything compelling from the other makers that make me wich I had one of their consoles instead.

I have to say that I love my XBOX. Halo just rocks. Some games don't seem to look really good on it though. I rented Medal of Honor: Rising Sun and wasn't too impressed. In fact I kept getting sick playing the game. I haven't had that problem with other FPS's. It may be my cheap 19" TV though. I really love me XBOX and when the XBOX2 comes out I will probably mod this in some neat way.

15. Butler Trumpet macrumors 6502

Butler Trumpet

I like gamecube... always have been a Nintendo fan and even more of a reason... Nintendo has an IBM processor in it... which is who makes apples now right? That right there is enough reason for me.... wouldnt it be cool if Nintendo and Apple got together, some how take apples inovative design and OS and stick it in a game system. That would be sweet!
    Also the wavebird controller... that right there is enough reason to get a gamecube. its awesome... I can seriously play my gamecube from 70 feet away in a different building. Its awesome.

16. ldkaplan macrumors regular

ldkaplan

There was a short blurb in XBOX magazine about this. Some people actually get motion sickness from FPS type games.

17. applekid macrumors 68020

Uhm. Yeaaaah. I like how you admit to those things. :rolleyes:

Pick your console depending on what you want to play.

18. Ringo macrumors regular

Ringo

yea, saw some pic of the next zelda and it look damn good :eek: all hail to modded g3 ;)

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

20. Devie macrumors 6502a

I have all three :D, Cube Xbox and PS2... also a GBA SP (waiting for the DS to come out here).
    Overall, my Cube is my favourite by a pretty large margine. Its all about the games, games games games games! Metroid Prime 1&2, Pikmin 2, Monkey Ball, Vietiful Joe, Mario Sunshine, Zelda: The Wind Waker, Paper Mario... I can go on but I wont :).
    Next fav is the Xbox, only because of Xbox Live. Halo2 on Live is damn awesome, I've been playing it a lot recently (to much TBH).
    PS2 last... the games on it just arn't interesting for me, mostly the same crap... and the market is full of a lot of crap. You do get someg reat RPG's on it though ;).

The GBA is also awesome, but it's in a different area for me to comment on it in the same way, I love it for bus trips, boring family get-togethers etc.

21. Barham macrumors regular

It breaks down like this.

Adventure/Platform: Gamecube
    You've got Mario, Metroid, and (soo awesome) Zelda for exclusives.

Action/Shooter: Xbox
    You've got Halo (2), superior online play, and splinter cell, honorable mention to Ninja Gaiden.

RPG/GTA: PS2
    If you're a fan of RPG's, there's no contest at all. Also, if you're all about Grand Theft Auto, this is where you want to be.

Graphically:
    The PS2 is serverly aged in console terms, and cannot compete with some of the new shading and texture techniques that the other systems are capable of. It doesn't have "bad" graphics, just the oldest and most outdated hardware.

The Gamecube is significantly more capable (better than PS2, see splinter cell), but tends to not have some of the games that use the advanced techniques. Also the proprietary disc format for the GCN is much smaller (data as well as size wise) than a DVD. This forces 'cube games to have less room for textures, models, and level designs. I've also had major framerate drops with the Gamecube.

The Xbox is the graphics king. Currently, the Xbox is capable of using all of the latest shading and texturing techniques, and is far and away (I consider this more than a night and day difference) the prettiest. It just flat out has more horse power to drive better graphics engines.

The there's the whole next-gen argument. Some are predicting Xbox 2 for next christmas. Yes, it's a year away, but it also is another 150 buck added to the price tag. If it were me, I would almost wait it out and save up that extra 150 for the new system that will be good for four years. If you buy an Xbox now, it will be getting new games probably for two years max. Xbox 2 will get new games for about 6 before it is totally out moded (note: 2 years from now the Xbox will turn 6).

If you're buying now, and are mostly about graphics and action games, buy an Xbox.

-Hasta