Microsoft Zune Phone - Holiday 2007?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 1, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Crunchgear reports that Microsoft may be working on their own mobile phone under the Zune brand.

The Zune phone is reportedly not even in development yet, but is expected to be a "smartphone" and run a modified version of the current Zune interface/operating system. The target launch date, however, is said to as soon as holiday 2007.

Despite obvious comparisons to Apple's iPhone initiative, the original Zune had been expected to be a long term effort and only the beginning of a line of digital products.

Many have commented that Apple's early iPhone announcement has given competitors a 6-month lead time to market. Indeed, the announcement did first reveal Apple's "touch OS X" which could serve as the basis for a line of future digital devices from Apple.

2. macrumors 68000

Much Ado

3. macrumors 6502a

WOW they really can't think of anything by themselves. holy shiza manelli.

4. macrumors regular

M$ just loves to copy apple. Their OS, their Zune and now a smartphone.

5. macrumors 6502

Wow. A Zune phone.:rolleyes: They are hoping to capitalize on all of the tremendous Zune sales. I hope they offer it in brown. Or possibly for real Microsoft style innovation, BEIGE!!:eek:

6. macrumors 6502

xyian

As I am a practicing psychic, I will tell you all what I see.......

I see a touch screen interface and a transparent scrolling feature.

It's hazy but I also see a music store interface.

7. macrumors Core

Dagless

8. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So Microsoft will now begin competing directly with their OS licensees? That'll teach 'em to trust Microsoft.

9. macrumors P6

Peace

10. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If you worked in microsoft R&D and someone asked you what you did for a living, could you tell them without blushing? I know I couldn't.

11. macrumors 68020

aricher

Jeebus... just what the world needs. I bet it's gonna look great. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. macrumors 6502

Oh come on, it was talked about when the Zune was still in development that a long line of gadgets would appear. Apple have hardly invented the phone, if you say MS are copying then the same must be said for Apple.

However we all know it will crash 3 times when making a call, and as the Zune is hardly a runaway success I still think they will be playing catch up.

It's good when your competitors are always playing catch up.

13. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'd bet good money that Microsoft won't get a solid phone offering onto the market in time for Christmas. Sure, they could rebrand another company's device, like they did with Zune, but I don't think that would quality as a solid competitor to iPhone.

14. macrumors 68020

I can see it now, instead of telling someone to call me, just tell them to "Zune Me."

15. macrumors 6502

ballmer

Ballmer is the biggest idiot in the world. Just last week, he screamed "$500 for a PHONE?!?!". I have two problems with this:

1. The full version of Vista costs $400....who would spend THAT much for an OS? Haha, that's a piece of SOFTWARE! No hardware included.

2. Their phone will probably cost about the same.

3. The phoen will probably require a M$ activation lol.

Pull your heads out, Microsoft!

cz

16. macrumors 603

roland.g

Zune Phone. Another Zune product they can sell none of. Maybe it will come in Turquoise.

17. macrumors member

Zune phone=stupid idea
    I mean c'mon no matter how much they try it will never work, the iPhone set the bar so high for mobile phones its almost impossible for MiCroSoft to match it without copying it.
    Apple is just 2 cool!:cool:

18. macrumors 6502

Let me get this straight. The execs are in initial concept meetings and they are going to have a Zune phone to market by November?
    Yea right. :rolleyes:
    The screen saver will be Ballmers crack monkey dance routine.:D

19. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Exactly, how is this going to line up with Microsoft's push for Windows-based PDA phones, including their partnership with Palm for the Treo 700. Considering the relative success of the Windows Mobile market, why would they sully that with the weak Zune brand.

Hey, Microsoft you don't have to be the big winner in every single market. Focus.

20. macrumors P6

twoodcc

you have got be kidding me. what a copy cat. and i thought microsoft was bad when bill gates was the CEO.......i think they're getting worse :eek:

21. macrumors member

Standard MS MO

This is just standard operating procedure for Microsoft. They announce an initiative just for the FUD effect. This is pure FUD, nothing but. They do the same with every product in their offering, promising a pie-in-the-sky product that's just "around the corner" but in reality is 3-5 years from release.

We're to believe that a company that took 5 years to produce the Zune based on an existing hardware design it licensed from Toshiba can produce a brand-new smartphone from scratch in less than a year. Give me a break.

22. macrumors 65816

DTphonehome

Well, if it's anywhere near as successful as the Zune, then Apple doesn't have a thing to worry about.

23. macrumors 68040

elppa

Steve Balmer also said that the Windows Mobile strategy would be the one they will pursue. So that was obviously more lies to cover the cracks.

What next? A single OS stratergy?

I bet this thing will be great if it is out by the holidays.

24. macrumors newbie

A phone by MS... great -- it will be a race to see which happens first: the call gets dropped or the OS crashes....

Maybe they can call it the "Roulette"

25. macrumors 6502

drumpat01

Let them try. The problem with the Zune is that you dont hear it called the Zune, its always called "Zune, M$ would be iPod killer." No one will ever see it as anything else besides M$ lame attempt at competing with the iPod.

The same will happen with a phone. No one will ever see this as anything besides "ZunePhone, M$ would be iPhone killer."

And oh yea, the Zune also fails because its crappy and no one wants to rent their music.