Microsoft's Alternative to Spaces in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lu0s3r322, Mar 7, 2007.

1. lu0s3r322 macrumors 6502a

2. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

ummm.... yay!... i dont get why that is a good thing uless u have a huge monitor

3. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

looks like split screen from two separate inputs.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly, hence two keyboards.

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Which they didn't bother to hide out of the picture or crop out.

6. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I don't think that is a Microsoft thing, I think it is an option for Dell monitors. On my 2004FPW I can run almost any combination of 4 inputs in a slip screen mode. Mind you i wouldn't put it past microsoft to try this in Software.

7. lu0s3r322 thread starter macrumors 6502a

actually its something microsoft is working on apparently. this pic is from engadget who got a peek into microsoft's r&d

its probably two keyboards right now, but it'll be one input later im guessing.

anyways clearly its not as good as spaces unless you want like a split screen thing to compare stuff

8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

We should be more precise here, this is Windows' interpretation of virtual desktops, a feature that's standard to most modern window managers.

The image you linked to looks more like two concurrent sessions on one monitor with the split signal being managed by software. At any rate, from the limited evidence, Spaces and this technology aren't aimed at providing the same experience at all.

9. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Symbian OS; Nokia N70/2.0539.1.2; 6366) Opera 8.01 [en])

well if you use windows with nvidia software installed,you can have virtual desktops.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Fully-wired post Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/418.9.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/419.3

Those are not virtual desktops, as they both have a task bar.

11. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Perhaps you can run two computers on one monitor; now that's a good idea (even if it's from Microsoft). :)

12. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Actually the poster you quoted is correct, some of nVidia's driver solutions do have virtual desktop software built in. It's called nView, and it's part of nVidia's display management software.

It actually has some interesting features, the most interesting being that it allows the virtual desktops to use differing resolutions.

13. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

How would that explain two different task bars and two start menus?

14. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I'm not saying this is *the* explanation, but if you take a look at Spaces, it's not like only one of the spaces has the menu bar. You have a menu bar and a dock regardless of which space you're working in.

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Which are not useable at the same time.

Also - those to seem to have different things in their system trays as well, and two mouse cursors.

16. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

nView is obviously not what is at work here, as it is clear from the photo that this monitor is hooked up to 2 separate keyboards and presumably 2 separate mice.

17. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

More reasons to believe that it's probably two computers on one monitor.

18. CoreWeb macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure that this is actually a demonstration on how to run two instances of Windows on one monitor, for companies/countries who can't afford two monitors. (Maybe even two instances on one computer as well.)

19. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Perhaps there're some crossed wires here. The photo posted by the OP is not what I was referring to. You quoted Nitromaster who said that nVidia's Windows drivers support virtual desktops. This is a true statement, and it's exactly what Spaces is, although the two have different interpretations on the process.

Chaszmyr is correct, the original photo is not nView, and you are correct in stating that the original photo is not a virtual desktop implementation. I was just stating that Nitromaster was correct in his statement, that's all.