Microsoft's Biggest Enemy Now: Apple, Linux or Itself?

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Mar 7, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If Ballmer truly believes that Linux is a larger threat to Microsoft than Apple, then clearly the right answer is "itself."

3. macrumors P6

dukebound85

do you see apple opening up its os to other manufacturers? no. Until then, apple wont be a threat at the os level

linux is in a better position imo unless apple changes its strategy, which they wont:rolleyes:

4. macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Linux is a larger threat to Microsoft, but you need to look beyond personal computers. Sure, if you're just looking at the desktop you could be forgiven for thinking that Apple is the more credible competitor - although Linux netbooks and nettops are doing reasonably well - but the real beauty of Linux is that it scales well and has a habit of sneaking in below the radar.

If you're in the enterprise, some of your servers may well be Linux already. You might already be using something like a GPS navigator, router, ADSL modem, mobile phone, PDA, media player, e-book reader, kiosk device, or even a car that leverages Linux to some degree. That's all space where Microsoft wants to have a finger in the pie selling Windows CE, and doesn't.

5. macrumors regular

Microsoft's biggest threat is pirated version of windows.

6. macrumors 68000

ditzy

I was ready to completely disagree with him, but I actually think that he is right. Unless Apple release OSX to non Apple branded computers (I'm not saying that they should.) Linux will be their bigger threat.
    Even a good proportion of mac users have windows on their macs. So even a sale to Apple isn't necessarily a sale that Microsoft have lost.

7. macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It always seems that Microsoft enjoys shooting themselves in the foot. Personally I believe they are the biggest threat to themselves unless they get their PR straight. I can't say I know anyone that is happy to use Windows. It is always that it is what was on the computer when they bought it or they need Windows for work or something of the sort.

8. macrumors 68040

bruinsrme

9. macrumors 6502a

Microsoft's biggest enemy is...

Ballmer!
    BALLMER!
    BALLMER!
    BALLMER!
    BALLMEEEEEEEEEEEEER!

10. macrumors 6502a

It's not so much that users think older versions of windows are good enough (complaints galore about xp) but that their latest os release with vista is actually worse.

11. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I´m not sure if Ballmer is right at all. He is right about Apple, unless they open up, which of course they won´t.

But he is also wrong about Apple.

The desktop is for most people total overkill. I bet at least 30-40% of computer users does nothing more than e-mail, web, music and a bit of photo organizing when at home. Perhaps some spreadsheets if the mood is just right.

Enter the simple desktop. Derived from mobile OS, not the other way around. The desktop re-invented; much simpler, leaner, tidier… And, it shares the look and feel of your mobile device.

Or it may go directly to the mobile device. The Vista-specced PC (or Mac) is really a power user´s tool.

Unless MS gets WinMo up to speed, it may very well see a rapid slide in market share to Apple, Symbian, Google and all the other "smarter" vendors.

Don´t you just wanna dock your iPhone to a 24" monitor and do some work? In a couple of generations I´m sure you can.

12. macrumors regular

Beerfloat

That's not a threat to them, it's a benefit.

13. macrumors 65816

steveza

Microsoft's biggest threat is the economy. The worse things get for their enterprise customers they will a) stop buying the latest server or application upgrades and/or b) look for cheaper alternatives. I currently consult at a datacenter services company who handle some large enterprise and government contracts - the trend is definitely towards downscaling their infrastructures and holding off on upgrades. MS is trying to push 3 major new products: Server 2008 R2*, Windows 7* and SQL 2008 and convincing the marketplace that they need to splash out on these is getting harder by the day.

* Enterprise release expected Oct/Nov 09

14. macrumors 65816

steveza

How so?

15. macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Retail Windows is a relatively small market, Microsoft's core customers are hardware manufacturers and enterprise agreements. The kinds of businesses who would typically never use pirated versions.

Microsoft really doesn't have much cause for concern about freeloaders using unlicensed Windows at home. Sure, they'd rather sell that extra license, but they're more worried about such users actually exploring alternatives to Windows. Which is pretty much why they give Windows away for pittance to students and developing countries. Gotta keep people on the platform.

16. macrumors 601

Tesselator

Well, their biggest enemy simple can not be Apple. MS owns a sizable chunk of Apple! I dunno exactly how much but I heard in 2004 or so it was like 40% or 45% or something like that.

So if Apple is winning then so is MS.

17. macrumors regular

Beerfloat

In 1997 Microsoft sent Apple a life raft of about $200 million, which represented a less than 7% stake back then but in non-voting shares. They've since sold of all those assets again (for a tidy profit I might add) and no longer have an Apple position at all. :)

18. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

MS sold their non voting stock in Apple back in 2001.

19. macrumors P6

dukebound85

um better recheck your facts

20. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Is Linux gaining market share against Windows? No. I've been hearing about how it's just about to for over ten years now. I am beginning to disbelieve it for some reason. Is the Mac gaining market share against Windows? Yes. Do the math. Microsoft also has its hands full competing with Apple in digital music players and mobile phones.

It is 0%. It was arguably 5% in 1997, but this was in non-voting shares purchased by Microsoft as part of the settlement of patent infringement lawsuits. Microsoft was only required to hold them for three years.

21. macrumors G4

Oh, there you go again with those facts.

22. macrumors P6

dukebound85

there is more linux adoption in the corporate world than there is mac

oh wait, youre refeering to the consumer os arent you lol

the money is in the corporation segment, not the consumer as much

23. macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Apple has it all wrong, then.

Linux is free (-ish), much money in corporate still?

24. macrumors regular

Beerfloat

Oh yeah, definitely.

25. macrumors P6

dukebound85

my point is apple isnt a serious alternative until they try to go commerical