Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nixdas

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2012
Leicestershire, England, UK
I would like to see how good Microsoft Office 2013 will be for iOS as I would love to be able to use it. Lets be realistic here, Word and Excel are two products which will always be used. Microsoft make their money from the enterprise/corporate/government world. Microsoft Sharepoint. Office 365, Dynamics Online are all being used on the cloud now so I could see it being pretty useful so some markets who want to use Office 2013 with their Office 365 and also Sharepoint.

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
I would like to see how good Microsoft Office 2013 will be for iOS as I would love to be able to use it. Lets be realistic here, Word and Excel are two products which will always be used. Microsoft make their money from the enterprise/corporate/government world. Microsoft Sharepoint. Office 365, Dynamics Online are all being used on the cloud now so I could see it being pretty useful so some markets who want to use Office 2013 with their Office 365 and also Sharepoint.

Don't be so sure. Having worked on US Government contracts and being in those meetings the accounting people are crying foul to the new draconian pricing scheme Microsoft is placing on it new Office licensing. A many of US Government agencies are using older Office programs and are now actively seeking alternatives, even toward new versions of Server. Microsoft is hanging itself just as Linux sever software is popping up all over the Government.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Well, it's nice that you took my sentence out of context. The point was, I see people all the time bring out Word to make a shopping list, or a simple letter. It's overkill and unnecessary. In short, it's not the best tool for the task. Yet I see people do it all the time. And because it's not the best tool for the task I do wonder about it. The fact that your professor demands it for your homework is irrelevant.

How did I take it out of context? I wasn't disagreeing with you. I was pointing out one of the reasons I know of that people choose to use it for everything. I don't know where your attitude came from or what the reason for it is, but alright.

In my case... Because I need to use it so much, and everything I get at work and in grad school comes to me in Word Docs. I use it for everything... because thats what I am used to using. When I am writing on a computer that is. I have never even thought to look for an alternate option, so I am sure it is the same for others.

For the things your describing, like shopping lists and such. I do that on my phone in the Notes app.

ADDITIONAL: I cut out the rest of your post to make the quote box smaller because that was the portion I was addressing.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
The Czech person should be soundly reprimanded. Regardless of plans, you do not talk about a future product particularly when you are trying to launch surface tablets, windows phones, windows 8 etc and one of the key selling features is the availability of the mobile office applications.

Here is our new Windows RT tablet look at how great it is running our office suite... or you could just buy an iPad and run it on there too.

Bad intercompany communications.

Last edited:

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
I'm glad that Office is coming to iOS...

...I'm mad we still have to suffer through Office:mad:

I'm glad that a new version of Office is coming to OS X! Microsoft has previously told us not to expect a new version for Macs. Amd, yes, it is great to see Office coming to iOS! Microsoft's hand was forced, they know that they do not have a monopoly anymore and to stay competitive, they have to release new versions of their software for other operating systems. How about a version of Office for Linux? Any takers???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.