Microsoft's iCal Clone (Screenshot included)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mox358, Apr 24, 2006.

1. mox358 macrumors 6502

mox358

Here is a screenshot of Microsoft's upcoming "Windows Calendar". It's the first screenshot I've seen of the program, and I'm generally not one to bash MS alot for copying (just a little :D ) but the first thing I thought when I saw this was "Wow, that looks just like iCal". See for yourself.

[​IMG]

2. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

That does look like iCal. But it's also the first time I've seen MS improve on Apple's design and not make it worse.
    I actually like the "one window" look and the tasks below the calendars so there's more space for the actual calendar. Besides the obvious settings overkill I think it looks nice.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, the only difference between this and iCal is the "To Do" list being on the left side underneath the small calendar.......and I like it. :)

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Leave it to Microsoft to rip off one of the weakest UIs Apple has done recently. They may have even improved it a bit, not that this required much thought. Still, true to form, they've managed to waste even more space in the interface than Apple. What's that big white area at the right good for? Will "sharing information" ever fill it up?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I quite like it, but I agree about the wasted space in the lower right.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Well, to be fair there's only so many ways to display a calendar. The fact that the MS calendar is reminiscent of iCal is interesting, but then again, most calendar applications I have are pretty similar.

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I like the way that iCal displays the months in the lower left corner, allowing me to drag the window up to display multiple months at a time. Maybe Vista could copy this as well.

I prefer the iCal approach with drawers, myself, because it helps eliminate some of the extra white space that people are complaining about. Works for me.

8. backupdrummer macrumors regular

backupdrummer

It looks like many of the other calendar apps out there. I honestly find them all a bit lacking and am waiting for someone to come up with a truely elegant and well thought out execution. I currently have a hard time integrating calendar apps into my work flow. They are fine for little things but time consuming to manage.

I am liking Google's calendar right now. Nothing amazing about it yet but it is a good clean start.

9. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Does it use the standard iCal file format or some proprietary MS one?

10. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

This may be a little off topic but do those "gadgets" go away (like dashboard)or do they sit there taking up space even when their not in use?

BTW, iLike iCal. It is pretty obvious where microsoft got their inspiration.

11. menziep macrumors 6502a

just a message to the MS Calander Bashers

Theres Not Many ways to make a calender app

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It also looks a lot like the calendar in MS Outlook.

There isn't that much you can do with a calendar application.

13. Timepass macrumors 65816

I agree. This entire part of basing everything is getting out of hand. It looks a lot like what already in outlook.

Looks a bit like an outlook Sunbird mixture to me.

But like so many others have said there are only so many ways to lay out a calendar ap.

Btw the looks of things everything is going to be tied together bettween contacts and everything else and then everyone going to be screaming they are coping apple even more. But Outlook already ties all that stuff together they are just making it a little larger and a little less link to one ap but to several apps that all tied together.

I am still hoping that in the end I could stiff run everything like it currently done in out look. Only program containing everything. But also have indivial apps if I want to only use certain parts of each program.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, they're splitting Outlook functionality out into a simpler version that can be run locally. I'm sure you'll still need Outlook to work with Exchange servers but newer versions will probably work with your personal calendars, too.

It's amazing to me that everyone someone does something, they think that Apple did it first--even when Apple copied someone/something else.

15. Project macrumors 68020

One things for sure, Aero Glass is much more beautiful than brushed metal :mad:

16. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I second that! Why's it matter how a calendar or mail program looks similar to another one? That's a good thing to me because it's easier to use another program if the need arises.

And the Aero glass (in this case) does look pretty sweet.

17. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Maybe MS have come to realise that Outlook and Entourage are two useless apps but I'm sure this one will still be as bloated and cumbersome to use. MS may get their apps looking like Apple's, but they never can get them to work as well.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, the glass looks pretty nice. I just want it to work. I can use iCal but it's still a pain for all the things it doesn't do.

Outlook is the opposite of useless. Being an Apple cheerleader won't change that.

Having used Outlook day-in-day-out for years, I can tell you that it's not perfect but it works well, especially in group scheduling. Of course, if you're looking to keep track of yourself at home, you don't need the heavy lifting, do you?

19. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Attack of the clones! Anyway, its still a windows product, so unless vista is on my mbp, and I can import from ical, I wouldn't use it. And even then, 2 calendars kinda makes it more complicated than intended/wanted.

20. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Do you not see the oxymoron there? :rolleyes:

That's why MS made Outlook Express isn't it? But if you actually want to keep your schedule iCal is the professional option. :p

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

No, it's a matter of degree but apparently, you don't understand that.

Professional for what?

22. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Well I own my own business and have many clients so therefore many appointments to keep, deadlines to meet and time tables to schedule. iCal has always worked well in this (insert "professional") capacity. It integrates perfectly with all other apps and has never let me down.

On the other hand I've witnessed windows users loose a whole lot of schedules with Outlook.

And for those of you playing at home, it's back to the original topic of this thread....

23. Timepass macrumors 65816

Takes a lot of lose things in outlook. Providing you allow the program to make backups (a feature that is built in set up to run by default). I seen plenty of people have 0 problems with outlook and it has always work very well.

I quite enjoy using it and it has work very well at keeping everything straight.

Being a M$ basher does change the point that it is a good program. All it does is making you opinan on the program rather worthless because it clear that it very very tainted and doesnt matter how good the program is you are going to bash it.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I made my own backups but if the server administrator is reliable and does backups, there isn't a problem with Outlook--unless someone accidentally deletes their own information and there is no application responsible for that. :D

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'll stump for Outlook...I generally found it quite useful.

But so MS is going to abandon having an integrated PIM app and go for separate apps à la Apple? :eek: