1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

Microsoft's .Net site shows a woman using a PowerBook. Got...

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jul 9, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors newbie

I hear ya...but...

Yes Microsoft is part of the Darl Side and have no business running the world with such a buggy operating system but why should they not show Apple hardware in their ad campaigns. Bill and his pals make software for the Mac - big thumbs up to Office 10 - so it seems natural they should have no qualms about featuring Macs in their ads.

Just replaced my Powermac G4 800 with a 17" iMac. Such a huge iMac fan now.

3. macrumors 68030

medea

yeah this happens alot in advertising, using macs because they just plain look better, funny thing is if you click on the photo the begining of the paragraph states "smart clients:..."

4. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

5. macrumors 68040

jxyama

ha ha ha... that's pretty funny, on the official microsoft page too.

i guess the dead giveaway that it was a PB would be if this image gets replaced on the microsoft page in the near future...

6. macrumors 6502a

Billicus

What kind of idiots do they have working over there, I mean other than Bill Gates of course. :D

7. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Bill Gates was probably loaning her his trusty Powerbook cuz he didn't feel like getting a new one:D

8. Das
    macrumors regular

That's why you do your own photography instead of relying on stock photos, the agencies always go for macs because that's all they use and they look cool in photos.

Hysterical though.

9. macrumors regular

While I don't really know what the hell .net is, I think it has some cross-platform components. (E.g., whatever it does with XML.)

A quick Googling revealed that Office v.X includes some .net stuff.

So this doesn't seem weird or inconsistent. Perhaps a missed opportunity to promote wintel boxes, but that's it.

10. macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I bet its the guys in their design department...it would just figure if they used macs, and they probably thought, "what the heck? lets stick one in here"

11. macrumors 68000

MacFan25

heh...that's pretty funny. I've seen a few ads with macs in them promoting PC software. :D

12. macrumors regular

this shouldn't be a surprise. i bet all there application documentation is put together on a mac in quarkxpress, rather than on a pc in microsoft publisher. plus it's pretty hard to find a sexier laptop or OS, right?

a few years ago someone discovered that one of the main microsoft webservers was a linux box (wish i could find the story now). trusty ol' reliable windows, eh?

windows 95 bad "imitation" of mac os
    windows xp bad "imitation" of mac os x

13. macrumors regular

14. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

At Microsoft, like at all other companies in operation, time is money. Do you really think Gates and the developers at Microsoft would operate their business on something as unreliable as Windows? ;)

15. zim
    macrumors 65816

zim

16. macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It's true. A lot of 'image collections' feature Macs in their computer/technology sections. You'd think that if you were working on a Microsoft project, you'd be suer-careful about the photo's you chose. In fact, I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't produced an "in-house' image catalog for their various designers and ad agencies to use.

17. macrumors regular

Hmm, vanishing Powerbook image?

Guess what? All the links above seem to have no powerbook images for me. Conspiracy theories are fun when they are against Microsoft. heh

18. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

Re: Hmm, vanishing Powerbook image?

you are either blind or dumb. pick one. the powerbook is there. its unmistakable. the mouse obviously has one button, the power button is in the same position as the PowerBook, and the keyboard is the appropriate color.

whether or not its really anything to care about is a good question, but there IS no question that there is a powerbook there.

19. macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Hmm, vanishing Powerbook image?

Maybe you are the one who is dumb. Before you sent off your reply, did you bother to check out whether the image was still where you saw it before? I have followed all of the links, including the one from the article at the Inquirer. All of them lead to the main .net page at Microsoft, and, as of the time of this post, there is no picture of a woman using a laptop on that page. Is the link given in the story not a direct link to the image location?

Be more careful and less of a jerk.

20. macrumors 6502

I can't find it either. It is not on the home site... please tell those of us who can't see it, where it is. Thanks.

21. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

22. macrumors 68040

tazo

where? i guess they must have taken it down or something.

*wonders who the m$ spy is*

23. macrumors 6502

Re: for the second time...

No one questioned whether the pic was at the Inquirer. However, give me a link to a Microsoft page showing the pic. If you can, great; we'd love to see it. That's what we were asking for. If not, stay out of this. You obviously aren't reading the posts carefully and have no idea what's going on. The whole point of this is that we're saying if the pic is not still there, then Microsoft must have taken it down because it showed a PB. Do you get it now?

24. zim
    macrumors 65816

zim

This was the picture, I can't seem to find it on the microsoft page either, only the inquirer. The image came from getty or photodisc.com, they are the same.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 68040

jxyama

like i wrote at the very beginning, no doubt the original pic (on the M$ page) was of a PB. that's probably why it was taken down.

the original article still carries the image with a pb, of course. the M$ has taken down the pic in favor of a non-pb one.

let's not fight here... in defense of sparkly, you did say you could not find the picture in all the links. that's not true because the original article on the inquirer has the pic with a pb. you should have written "all the links to the alleged M$ site..."