Microsoft's New Fonts

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by snkTab, May 4, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I hope this means the death of Arial and Times New Roman. The new fonts, looks a but like Adobe's offerings though. Consolas would be a nice touch.

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=47&aid=78683

2. Moderator emeritus

Interesting. All characterised by large x-heights.
    Agree with him about Candara, it's very fussy.

Wonder how Adobe will be viewing these if MS want to push these as standards esp. with this rumoured Metro thang.

Thanks for the link. I love reading stuff like this... :)

p.s. Hope they manage to produce and support some decent ligatures. :p

3. macrumors 68020

daveL

Hi Blue. Since you seem to be keyed into this stuff, may I ask what OS X font(s) you select for lengthy viewing? Say for Safari? How about mono fonts? I spend a lot of time reading on my LCD and sometimes feel a bit of eye fatigue, so I thought I might try a different font, if it would help.

TIA

4. Moderator emeritus

I'm one of those lazy people that doesn't have a personal taste about web-viewing. Give me a discussion about a typeface for print and I'll bore the living daylights out of my colleagues until I'm forcibly stopped.

This is the person who was dumb enough to say 'Who cares? Firefox is just a browser.' to my web-colleagues. A tumble-weed, squeaky-sign moment followed.

I just use the standard vanilla settings on Safari but many things can affect eye-strain, though. Lighting, monitor, seating, etc... You may even need lenses.

5. macrumors 68020

daveL

Oh, I've had those for half a dozen years. I have a special pair just for computer work.

6. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I quite like the Constantina italic. Corbel isn't bad either – I've come across Jeremy Tankard's stuff before. All in all, better than I expected.

7. macrumors 68000

Fukui

Calibri is pretty beautiful. Kinda like myriad but 'softer.'

8. macrumors 68000

Fukui

Just for comparison:
    Calibri first and Myriad after.

Attached Files:

9. macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Verdana was designed for on-screen reading, I believe.

AppleMatt

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Exactly, I love Myriad, and when I saw these I got quite irked. But what do I know, I always use Myriad bolded. Too bad I don't have Myriad Pro Bold, I just have the normal and Black version. :(

11. macrumors 6502a

t300

I have these on my Mac right now. They are actually NOT bad.

12. macrumors 68030

homerjward

after looking at those, i must say very good for something from m$. not that i know anything about fonts of course, other than "ooh, that one looks cool." what's serif vs. san serif? my favorite of those is consolas. seems such an improvement over courier (i guess that's what it's replacing.)

13. macrumors 68000

Mav451

serif is like the nooks on the bottom of letters.

The letter I is good example.

Considering that "sans" = without...i think you can figure out the rest.

14. macrumors 68030

homerjward

thanks. so like, ThIs is sans serif, but ThIs is serif?

15. macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

Yep, that's right.

(For further clarification, put it this way: Times and Garamond are serif fonts; Arial and Helvetica are sans [that is to say "without"] serif.)

16. macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if these are available to download/purchase anywhere?

17. macrumors 6502a

Anyone?

18. macrumors 68040

Daveway

Metro is not rumored anymore. Metro is real and awesome from what I saw. :cool:

19. macrumors 6502a

For on-screen viewing, I think Verdana is pretty good. It's not really a "pretty" font, but, it's very functional and easy to read at small sizes.

The new fonts MS is releasing, however, offer better choices, I think. They are more attractive to look at, but, also very readable for on-screen use. Why Adobe isn't on the forefront of this, I have no idea. I guess they are too preoccupied with buying Macromedia.

The WORSE on-screen font to use is Arial. Butt ugly and too dense.

20. macrumors 68000

I think that these fonts are actually pretty cool. This morning I printed a research paper and used Calibri for the headings and Corbel for the main body text, and it looks pretty good. If you're interested in seeing the fonts in use in a PDF, check out a draft of my research paper (warning, 1.2 MB file).
    -Chase

21. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Agreed on both points.

I use Monaco (IIRC), Verdana, Times New Roman, Helvetica, and when I'm in a nostalgia mood, Chicago.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Of course they look good, I think Microsoft knows who to copy when it comes to OSes and who to copy when it comes to fonts.

That said, I wouldn't use to similar fonts in the same paper. You almost never want to use two fonts that are 90% similar next to each other, because at some level it throws the presentation. I would recommended for a paper that you either stick with one font or just two fonts each a different type. For headers use Calibri if you want, but for the text use a nice serif font. Use Constantina if you want to go with another of these fonts.

Serif fonts are great in body text because they let the reader focus on the words more and it enhances readability. Serif fonts in a header however make it look too klunky and thats why a sans serif would look better, as it adds impact.

23. macrumors 68000

Interesting. Who does Microsoft copy for fonts? I'm a bit font ignorant, which brings me to my next question.

For headings, it's good to use sans-serif fonts because they're "cleaner" without the serif, right? So serif fonts are great for body text because...they draw more attention from the eye? You sound like you know what you're talking about, so I'm curious to know.
    -Chase

24. macrumors 68000

Fukui

I don't personally like serif stuff. It looks like a million little thorns poking my eyes (the serifs). Though serif is good on some roman fonts for serious feel... I don't really like it that much, too harsh to me.
    Myriad seems to be apples favorite font for advertising it seems.
    So, you can check my previous post....

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Yes exactly, for headers sans serif can make the header look to busy. Also, sans serif is an eye stopper. You see, the serifs on the letters actually make each letter more distinguisable at some level, and because people read words rather than the letters, easy to read. San serif kinda stops the eye, so would kinda be beneficial for titles. Also, sans serifs by nature look nicer bolded.

Here's an image of the two in a header and text comparison. Note the serif font Garamond doesn't look to read as well as it's counterpart myriad in this case. This is because at small sizes the weights of the serifs get lost as the font is pixelated while viewing on a screen. However on paper, this wouldn't be an issue.

Attached Files: