Microsoft's Peter Moore promotes Nintendo's Wii

Discussion in 'Games' started by Haoshiro, May 12, 2006.

1. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

The other thread on this topic spun off topic and got closed right as I wanted to add something on-topic, so this thread is reborn!

The original peter moore quote/artical can be found on Kotaku: Moore Loves Wii, Still Hates PS3

What I wanted to add to the comments of "Microsoft and Nintendo teaming up" can be found right here.

Microsoft owns Rare and Rare is making games for Nintendo DS. They mention it is their "last collaboration with Nintendo" and that the title (Diddy Kong Racing) is their "first official DS project". I noticed the "first" immediately.

Interesting at least.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sorry, I had the thread closed. Yeah that's interesting snip bit alright. Well I'm glad I'll be seeing a diddy kong game even if its the last rare or the first they do for the DS... I loved Diddy Kong racing, more so than mario kart, the variety is excellent in it.

I hope Rare are allowed to develop titles for the DS and the Wii - It would be a nice way of them still securing nintendo IP's....

3. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Yeah, it definitely need closed! haha.

But what I got from the quote was that while it was the last collaboration with Nintendo (and use of Nintendo's IP), it was only the first DS game.

I can imagine Microsoft becoming very friendly with Nintendo. Honestly, they aren't the market leader nor are they going anywhere. Nintendo will always be in the game business and they know that.

Now that Nintendo has the Wii and isn't in direct competition with the Xbox there really is no reason to not work with them. They can make good money from Nintendo's millions of portable system consumers and development for the hardware would be much cheaper thanks to the lower specs.

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Oh yeah I see what you mean. Does that mean we'll get some more banjo and conker, or maybe a ghoulies for ds, touch screen would be cool for that...

I know it's only speculation, but It would be nice to see both M$, Rare & Nintendo working some small way together. Rember there was a time where we would have swore blind that Sega would never release an IP on anything other than a Sega hardware...

5. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Well, what I think is really cool about MS now is that the people in charge of it are really gaming industry types themselves, not just MS spokespeople. I trust Moore, because he was involved an dedicated to the Dreamcast and still claims it's one of his favorite systems of all time--something quite a few gamers would agree with.

J. Allard might be kind of a tool, but I still believe he plays and uses the system, which is more than I can see Ken Kutaragi doing to be honest. Likewise, Major Nelson seems to be the direct route for people to interact with the gears of the MS gaming machine...something which in the last few years has really suprised me from MS.

I would love to see Nintendo and MS collaborate on something together, but in all reality it won't happen in the console business. While collaborations happen often between developers and hardware manufacturers, hardware & software independently are competitive businesses, and consoles that mix both have little reason to join forces with the "other guy" who is trying to pawn their own wares.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing Sega put out ToeJam & Earl re-done for the 360 & wii though...and not the 2d side-scroller or 3-d xbox game, but the full original experience with new worlds and gorgeous graphics. A guy can dream right?

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno, if you combine the last gen figures (handhelds and consoles) Nintendo outright dominated the market - GBA, DS and GC like.

Anywho!

Nobody spotted the possibility of a good friendship between the 2? Rare games on the Virtual Console. *crosses every crossable part of the ol' anatomy*

7. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I was only saying that the Wii wasn't directly competing with 360. "Directly" is the keyword there, it of course is consuming for consumer dollars. But really 360/PS3 is for the "hardcore gamer" while Wii is much more "general gamer/non-gamer". Sure the hardcore will get a Wii too, but they will still get 360 and/or PS3 as well.

Nintendo IS dominating the handheld market with GBA/DS and that's really the point. Microsoft is primarily a software company so it really would be a good idea for Microsoft to reap some benefits form Nintendo's massive handheld market. They have the talent and they have the resources so it could be VERY profitable for them.

Plus, they could take one from Sony's book and after getting some handheld games established created their own handheld and take those games over to it exclusively. I would not approve of that, but hey... possibilities are possibilities! ;)

8. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

And I hate it. I hate Peter Moore despite my burning lust for a 360. Moore did everything he could to kill the Dreamcast because he didn't get behind third party publishers. He went round and round with Victor Ireland about RPG's and it's partially Moore's fault that Working Designs ported Saturn games to the PS X instead of the American Saturn and never ported anything to the Dreamcast. He very nearly single-handedly killed RPG's on SEGA's platforms and is doing the same to the Xbox. It's his fault that the Dreamcast tanked and I had to buy three platforms last console cycle. If I could have played Super Monkey Ball, Shining Force Neo, Gungrave 1 and 2, Otogi, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shinobi, Shining Tears, and Billy Hatcher all on one platform, I'd have never bought any of these consoles; I'd still be playing on my Dreamcast. Thanks alot, Peter Moore. Ass. :mad:

9. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Really? You think that? I recently watched an interview with him and he left Sega because of how they were killing the Dreamcast...

10. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

As far as what I've read MS and Nintendo are not teaming up, but rather MS is using Nintendo as a leverage point against Sony. I haven't seen anything from Nintendo that agrees with what MS is saying. MS is just trying to convince people that you can get more for your money if you buy a 360 and a Wii. Obviously MS does not see Nintendo as a true competitor this time around and therefore they have no reason to stick to the usual angle of attack as they do with Sony.

I do like that MS is including Nintendo. MS is trying to ride the risk that Nintendo is taking with the Wii, if the Wii is successful then we might have a new genre of video games on our hands. If it works MS can say "hey we backed you guys up! Can you help us out?" , and if the Wii fails then MS can go about their business. Good strategy by MS.

11. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

that'd be sweet if the relationship grew so big that wii started getting microsoft software on the Wii! (namely Halo 3 and PGR 3)

12. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I found this quote from an interview with Perrin Kaplan rather interesting:

Probably nothing, but still... interesting.

13. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Thats funny! Halo 3 is one of the reasons I have a 360 and MS knows that.

14. Haoshiro thread starter macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

And another quote from Peter Moore: