Microsoft's vision of the future

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/4534674.stm

Most of them sound pretty gimmicky and the kind of things that have been talked about for years.

Snarf sounds vaguely interesting...
    The Whereabouts Clock sounds a bit disturbing.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think it was better when they just directly copied Apple.

3. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Wow, with Microsoft's guidance, we all have so much to look forward to in the future. How can I look at a standard photograph now knowing that someday I could make a caricature of it with a few mouse clicks? I feel blessed.

4. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

That's what the geniuses at MS come up with? That's how MS spends its R&D budget?? :rolleyes:

5. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, this is just a touchy-feely 'look at how caring we are' display for Euro MPs and other Eurocrats at Brussels, in order to prevent them thinking evil thoughts about Microsoft in relation to any monopolistic, anti-trust, etc. plans that the EU may be having.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pfft!!

What use is a Whereabouts Clock without a "Mortal Peril" option?

Total waste of time.

7. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

According to Adam according to M$ (I couldn't go - too young), they're planning on having a black box in every house that does media and streams to stuff and stuff like that (had I been there, the description wouldn't have been so vague)

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Whatever cynicism may be embedded in the hearts and minds of the EU will eventually be borne out ... when it comes to Microsoft and its bulldozer tactics, it is usually just a matter of time.

9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Can't wait to take an apple of a bowl and see my last set embarrassing family holiday snaps right in front of me.

::20ROGERSC::

10. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

I swear to god the BBC are getting paid by Microsoft..... we've had news stories nearly everyday about the new XBox ....... as well as MANY others like this one.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I suspect there are others who are convinced the BBC get discounts on their Apple kit from the amount of stories there are about Macs and iPods. Everything to do with an MP3 or podcast has an iPod image. It's unusual to find a week on their technology page without at least one Apple headline on it.

I'm really not convinced about many of the things mentioned there (regardless of who thought of them). WTF is the touch bowl about? Snarf seems to just be a way to create automatic filters for those who don't know how to set them up. It will be interesting to see how it handles email from a loved one that rarely send them compared to the weekly update bulletins from a company that you've worked with but don't really care about since both would be in your address book.

The tapestry looks interesting but again I suspect will still have fairly strict rules applied to it so that people get decent results back out...

12. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I'd have to say that the interactive bowl is possibly the stupidest concept project I have ever seen or heard of. It makes a "toaster with internet access" seem like genius in comparison. Its classic microsoft-- insert useless functionality into a form made for something else.

13. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

The thread title is just so oxymoronic (is that a word?).

I'll add it to the list....
    Military intelligence
    Jumbo Shrimp
    Microsoft Vision

14. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

15. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

If I'd been able to add a :rolleyes: to the title, I would have done so...

16. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "Picture This" is iPhoto on an Apple display.

17. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You forgot the kettle with SMS functionality to turn your kettle on by text message... :confused:

18. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

All of this is very interesting, but what the hell are Microsoft up to? Are they trying to demonstrate how they plan to help people's lives, or how they plan to take over and control yet more of our everyday tasks. If I was an MEP, I wouldn't be impressed by this, but there would be a combination of laughter and fear. It's all aiming at that centrally contolled home Microsoft wants so much.