Microsoft's Windows Messenger for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by branharrison6, Mar 24, 2007.

1. branharrison6 macrumors member

I have seen that this is a downloadable program for the macs and this excites me very much. I currently use messenger on my Dell and when I switch to mac will download this program to stay in touch with all my current friends and contacts. I had a question though for anyone that currently uses this on a mac. When you use the mac version of messenger is it possible to use the integrated webcams for the mac's on ur messenger? Is the option for webcam chat available on windows messenger for mac?

Thanks
    Brandon

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

I don't use Mac Messenger...I use Adium instead, which lets you combine your Yahoo, iChat, AIM, Google, and MSN buddies in one chat app. Right now it's text only chat, but the ability to have all the accounts in one program is really cool. I'm not sure about video chat in Mac Messenger, you might check here for details...hopefully everyone that uses it will chime in on how it works and how well it works.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Webcam chat isn't available with Windows Messenger but you can use aMSN (but you get no audio) for proper Video Chat you have to use Skype or something else.

4. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

what exactly is aMSN and where do you download? Also what is Skype? That has to do with video chat?

5. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

aMSN is here and Skype is here. You can video chat or text chat on Skype, it's not just for VOIP.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

A better link for aMSN is this one, as it's now up to version 0.96.

Sorry for no links in my first post :eek:.

7. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

Checked out both links for Skype and aMSN. aMSN seems to be the winner for me. As it is a VERY close immitation to Windows Live Messenger and it has the video capability. So aMSN is what I will try to download first when I get my mac. Skype next if aMSN isn't what I'm looking for. Thanks again guys!

8. branharrison6 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!!

No problems about not posting link first time. You made up for it with this link Eraserhead. This is a VERY useful and great link. The new one looks even better. I am very grateful and appreciate it.

9. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

wow, i didn't even know that there was a new version of aMSN :p

10. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

actually no its not a new version:( the screenshots misled me

11. MalcolmJID macrumors 6502a

aMSN eats up my RAM. Seriously. I don't like it. But it's the only one to features webcam support.

I just stick with the Messenger:Mac. It's rubbish, basic, and file transfers are hideous (28.8k dial-up or less kind of speeds). But whatever.

12. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

there is another one that supports webcams, i think it's called mercury, not really sure though.

Either way, mercury or aMSN, they both suck, they just don't look right. I only use aMSN for when i want to chat with a webcam. MSN:Mac may not be that great but in my opinion its better than anything i've tried so far.

I'm really quite dissapointed that Messenger:Mac doesn't support webcams, if you search google there are SO MANY forums and blogs complaining about it and the lack of other features.

13. IEatApples macrumors 6502a

IEatApples

Nothing comes close to Skype! :) And I have all of them! ;) :D

14. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I really don't like aMsn. I'll stick to Adium as video chatting isn't THAT important for me to use the program. Also if I wanted to Video Chat on msn I'll just load up Parallels. :D

15. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I don't use skype because nobody i know uses skype, when i was still using a PC i tried to convert people to GoogleTalk but it didn't work, i think i would have even less luck convincing them to use Skype

i don't want to pay for windows let alone paralells

16. Fillado macrumors member

Here's their reason why :)

17. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

Mercury Messenger supports webcams, and is much less craptastic than aMSN.