Microsoft's Zune - Long Term Effort

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 28, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

ZDNet reports on Microsoft's recently revealed audio player initiative known as "Zune". Last week Microsoft confirmed that they were entering the music player market with an integrated solution for music, called Zune:

In the latest article, Microsoft's president of the Entertainment and Devices Division states that the Zune initiative is a long term effort with tie ins into other Microsoft projects including the Xbox, Medica center and Live Anywhere gaming.

2. macrumors 6502

rxse7en

Awesome! I can't wait for Vista! And now Zune! Who needs those silly Macs?

Uh, why is this on page 1? We already have enough iPod news, now we're going to be following an MS product that doesn't exist yet? C'mon! More grainy photos of elevators! Chop, Chop!

:D

B

3. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

4. macrumors 6502a

ibook30

"We do need a more consistent experience,",,,, introducing the Zune Blue Screen.

5. macrumors member

If it has any features like Pandora or Last.fm i'll be very interested... albeit I already have those two for free... As long as the 'finding new music' feature is better than the iTunes Mini store, which is down right bad. Bring on a pandora like stream but with intergrated purchasing features, so that you can in a way try before you buy, as well as find more music.

That would work wouldn't it - i know it would get me purchasing more music online. O WAIT! DRM... nevermind ignore this whole post :rolleyes:

6. macrumors 68000

crees!

Bad. I think it's great.

7. macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I think Itunes and mac are great! The iPod is number one because it is amazingly easy and equally impressive looking. Zune will have a lot of competition.

8. macrumors regular

Its interesting to see Microsoft's strategy on this - I think its only a good thing that somebody is trying to look at the whole player/content ecosystem in the same way that Apple have...that competition can only be a good thing surely?

However...some of the comments do seem to suggest they already expect to be losing the battle though - surely if you really thought you could compete with iPod/iTunes you would be a little bolder? Makes it sound half-hearted, and thats a shame.

9. macrumors 68000

JGowan

"Three to Five Years"! What a HARD laugh!

The iPod (which started the whole dang thang) has only been OUT for five years and the iTunes Music Store for about three.

I think it is downright presumptous to predict 5 years down the pike just about anything when NOBODY could've predicted just what Apple would accomplish in such a period of time.

10. macrumors regular

fenixx

"Still, he said, the company expects it to take three to five years for the effort to really pay off."

This is great news! When the Zune is at its peak in three-five years, it can coincide with the first release of Vista in 2009-2012.

-_-

I hate the name Zune.

11. macrumors 603

Stella

Don't discount microsoft - they have money to lose for years in trying to get #1 for MP3 - slowly they creep up and overturn Apple - apple doesn't ahve the same stamina.

A long term commitment, not a short term thing.

12. macrumors newbie

Microsuck

It's too late for Microsoft - they are just riding Apple's coattails now, in a desperate attempt to create something that can compete with iTunes+iPod...but thats all it is, a desperate attempt :eek:

13. macrumors 65816

eric_n_dfw

Have you ever used Pandora.com? (It's pretty awesome)

14. macrumors 6502a

a number for you

$9,500,000,000 - that's just sitting around in cash with no long term debt. I think Apple's got plenty of "stamina"...

15. macrumors member

I actually hope it's moderately successful. Hopefully then, Apple will see fit to reduce their pricing schema on the iPods.

Realistically, it could go either way. Despite the debacle that is Windows, Microsoft has had a great deal of success with the XBox. I wouldn't be surprised if Zune isn't as bad as most members of MacRumors will make it out to be.

~Joe

16. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

This sounds just like what they said with Xbox. They want it to do something new, they expect it to be the next big thing, and it's gonna take a few years. I think once Wii is released, we'll see 360 take a market dive just like 360 did, and Zune may well face the same fate.

17. macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

That word remind me of: dune or even worse - DOOM! :D

18. macrumors 6502a

Success?

Really depends on yoru defintion of success. Popularity wise it's been successful (360 is helped solely by the fact it's the only HD player out there right now) but as far as the stock holders and business men are concerned it's been a debacle - they've lost hundreds of millions of dollars in the XBox and have still yet to see a single positve quarter, financially speaking, since it's inception.

19. macrumors 68000

dextertangocci

Do you seriously think VISTA (Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans & Adware) is going to be released that early?:rolleyes: lol.

20. macrumors member

Yes however MS can try and fight it out for much longer, they have about 3 times that in cash and no long term debt as well. I can see this makeing some really kick a** iPods.

21. macrumors member

exactly, i'm sure the mini store has its uses but i mean compared to the others... i'm sure the itunes recommendations thingo is great for some people, but if you could stream music that is similar to your tastes / the current song ala pandora.com that would be 'saweet' :D

22. macrumors member

Preparing for failure

When Microsoft claim that their investment might not pay off for five years, they're paving the way for failure. For the next two or three years, when pressed about the lack of profits, they can claim that the payoff will be in a couple of years from then. They won't have to actually admit that they've failed until after 2010. It's not dissimilar to Bill Gates claiming that there's an 80% chance of Vista shipping on time, it sounds positive, but few people believe it actually will ship in January. It's just paving the way for the next excuse.

It's very important that Microsoft try very hard with Zune. They keep claiming that the iPod succeeded simply because of slick marketing, whereas everybody else knows that it succeeded by being an attractive proposition, combining style with ease of use. It was word-of-mouth publicity that really worked for the iPod. You can't buy that, it added massive value to the money that was spent on advertising.

So here's Microsoft's opportunity to look at the last five years of the iPod, together with three years of iTMS, take it all in and apply their 'innovation', show us the ultimate product and then spend a fortune marketing it. There must be no doubt that Microsoft must be seen to throw everything into this project. Then Steve Jobs will be delighted to rise to the challenge and delight in humiliating Bill Gates.

23. macrumors 603

Stella

Apple are not going to blow all that on the iPod, they would abandon the market long before that.

Shareholders would revolt, Jobs would be kicked out ( again ).

However, this threat ( a very real threat ) from microsoft may see Apple pick the pace up on iPod evolution, which has been fairly slow.

However, Microsoft haven't been that successful in the hardware market, a lot more products ( i.e., routers ) have failed than succeeded, so their track record isn't so good. XBox still isn't making a profit - again thats another example of a long term strategy that microsoft will hope will pay off in the future. Short term pain for long term gain!

24. macrumors 6502

rxse7en

Aside from trying to be funny, I was just pointing out that--for myself--I'd rather read about Mac rumors not MS rumors. I think the whole point of confirming Zune this early is just this, create spin. A consumer, music product that is years away from making any impact is now first page news on Macrumors...again.

I understand its potential. I understand MS's deep pockets. I would just prefer to read about it on MSrumors.com or Zunerumors.com. :D

B

25. macrumors 68000

crees!

Yes, at work I have but now I just listen to my iPod instead.