Microsoft's Zune Phone Might Not Be As Expected

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by clevin, Feb 9, 2007.

1. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12792

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Isn't this their usual tactic of pretending they are about to enter a market?

3. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

don't know, but as the market situation like this, I think M$ wouldn't getting in, and what the article described sounds like a very interesting concept.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Sounds like competition for Cisco's iPhone, not Apple's.

5. clevin thread starter macrumors G3

clevin

i thought it more like a mobile internet device. shouldn't be limited to VoIP.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So this disclosure states that OFDM will be used, which is used in WiFi and WiMax but not in cell service....

1) The iPhone and many other smartphones use WiFi, right? So wouldn't they all also make the same disclosure, even though they also work on cell networks?

2) Would be really interesting if someone tried releasing a WiMax handset. The availability is really limited right now, but in principle, over time, WiMax has the capability to replace both wired internet and cellular service.

7. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

This appears to have nothing to do with Zune, it's a joint venture among Intel, Google, Microsoft, HP, Dell, and Philips.

One of the device characteristics is that it will fall back to a mode where it cannot transmit (it operates on unused television frequencies), so voice applications seem iffy.

Here is the letter (PDF). The only stated purpose is to "provide consumer broadband access and networking", leaving plenty of room for wild, unfounded speculation.

The idea that this has anything to do with Zune seems to have originated with Rob Enderle, so, well, you know.

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

So long as you're not planning on ever leaving a major city...

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's the over time part... its availability has to be dramatically increased.

10. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

so can I share my Contacts with other Zune phones near me? :rolleyes: