microsuck at it again

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by howard, Jan 21, 2003.

1. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'm absolutely in love with the concept of paying for music and not being able to listen to it. it's great to see that the next time i pay $20 for a cd i can only use it in particular devices. oh, wait... i have a mac. damn it! i bought a computer from a company that believes in the principle of fair use. another example of macs not being compatable with crucial technology. i wish that apple would get on the ball with this and integrate technologies that are useful, like copy protection instead of wasting time with multimedia, zeroconf, and other useless features.

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

what do you describe usless as???

USELESS!!!1

macs are supposed to be easy and logical to use. only being able to play a cd a certain amount of times in a certain device does not seem logical to me.

the fact is, apple believes that all of its users are honest people. I do belive in every licence they distribute with itunes, ipod etc that they say "Do not steal music". i personally prefer this approach to the 'everyone is a crim' approach taken by ms.

thankyou apple for working on "useless" stuff and for not implementing microsofts DRM ideals, dreams and fantasies.

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

My favorite quote from the article:
    Um...ok:rolleyes:

4. Raiden macrumors regular

all this digital copyright protection bullsh1t may be a blessing in disquise for apple. When all this palladium technology crap is finalized and put into winblows, I wouldnt be suprised to see many windows users wanting to switch to another operating system. Thats the exact time apple swoops in with the OSX on a x86 thing or whatever.

I mean seriously, who wants to buy a CD and only be able to play it x amount of times on your computer. And just to get it on to your computer, I bet youll have to enter 20 digit serial numbers and PINs. This is just getting out of hand, just another way big brother monitors what you do in this world....

5. coolbreeze macrumors 65816

I'm a recent /switcher (powerbook in the mail). So does this mean us mac users (heh, I like the sound of that) aren't affected by this Microshaft restriction? I sure hope this is the case.

6. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

congrats on the purchase! mac users will not be affected by microsoft's attempts at controling your personal property (i.e. apple is not run by totalitarians). now that safari has been released, the mac os will ship with exactly zero pieces of microsoft software (unless the system includes ms mouse drivers and crap like that). as raiden said, this is a blessing for apple (that is if the rats decide to jump ship and don't assume that microsoft is the only os manufacturer in the world) because people will realize that the mac os gives you power through simplicity, including the simplicity of being able to use items that you have purchased however you please.

so no, this will not affect your beautiful new powerbook (i'm jealous :D ) or any other macs out there.

7. DavidFDM macrumors regular

Hate to say this but I love my Microsoft Intellimouse Wireless Explorer. It's one of the few thing Microsoft actually does well. Maybe they should bail on OSes, games, business software, .Net, etc. and just make mice.

Hope everyone stays warm,

David

8. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

rememebr PA and WPA?? that was a massive screw up by ms. but most pc users accepted it and moved on. some got *nixs for their pc some went to other paltforms. most just toook it onbaord as the way the world is.

i think this may be the same. most pc users refuse (until they use) to accept the mac platform as an alternative choice.

they view it like a sun blade, or RISC OS machine:- "What is that??"

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Yeah, it won't affect us, because eventually MS will get all CD player and DVD player makers to use a special encoding that only MS-branded components will play. Don't laugh. If this software catches on, just watch MS release CD and DVD players. This is a move for all of the marbles, and the RIAA and Hollywood are jumping on board.

Regards,
    Gus

10. alset macrumors 65816

alset

I don't know why everyone thinks this won't affect us and our Macs. I think I read the other day that this format will be compatible with existing CD and DVD players. I don't know if that means it will restrict current players or if it means the encoded discs will play on them and only restrict on newer players. Either way, I don't see any evidence to support the notion that we are in the clear.

What I fear is that we will eventually be forced to boycott discs encoded with these restrictions. I, for one, will not support companies and artists that restrict my legal use of their products/artistic works to cap illegal reproductions.

As a recording artist I use a pair of studio speakers with my Mac for all my mixing. The rule of studio speakers is to play as much of your favorite music as possible through them to become familiar with their characteristics. This makes for a better understanding of their qualities when using them for work. If I can't do that anymore where will I (and other musicians) be?

There has to be a better method for stopping piracy than this.

Dan

11. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

don't be so sure.

consider why MS came up w/ this technique -- to make money. how would they do that? it's exactly what the RIAA and the record companies want. it's likely the RIAA would lease the technology and record companies would release all their CDs that way.

what's the implication? in the wintel world, the hw/sw would be constructed to provide control of the use of the media. money for everyone involved and the consumer is stuck.

so what about macs? would these discs work? honestly, i don't know. but if a way could be found to disable their use, it would be used. UNTIL apple "played ball" and implemented the copy-protection technology.

what's the solution? is it even a technical one? i doubt it. write your congressperson, tell them to overturn the DMCA and not vote for any legislation the prevents fair use.

12. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Thank you Microsoft, now that you and the RIAA are trying to make CDs completely useless then from this day forward I will pirate all of my music. This is the last straw, I have hated the RIAA for a long time over all this but now I don't even want to send a dime their way. They don't deserve my money if it's going to support the RIAA and their opressive policies. If I can't play CDs in iTunes then they are %100 useless to me.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

btw, this week's NOW program (hosted by Bill Moyers) had an excellent piece on copyright protection.

transcript is here

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You mean how like Windows Media 9 has a shot for the HD-DVD standard?

link

Hopefully smarter heads will win out and it won't be selected.

Lethal

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ha! at what point was it about being smart? it's about the money.

and we're the losers.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

right on.

but rather than pirating, the solution is to give your money directly to the artist (who's been receiving a far too small share of the pie for too long).

it's my hope that direct-to-consumer transactions would become popular. wouldn't it rock to pay $3 to an artist (from his/her/their own website) for, say, a dozen of his mp3s?

17. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I'm so tired to write about piracy... there are so many way to go around it.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

thank you for playing. we have some lovely parting gifts for you.

19. howard thread starter macrumors 68020

howard

wow what an amazing idea! that would be great if those kind of transactions took off.

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

You are the Weakest Link... :rolleyes:

Is it really going to kill you to purchase those CDs you really want, even if they are used? I got several used CDs for three reasons:
    A: They are cheaper than unopened CDs,
    B: The music on the CD is unscratched (unless you are not sure who you are buying from), and
    C: I don't plan to buy a CD to stare at the fingerprints and scratches on the cover. Besides, when I am listening to music, I usually don't give a crap where my CD jacket is, or what it looks like, as long as the songs are the way they came.

(Ironically, the sound cut out on my computer when I was typing all this... :p)

21. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I love my Explorer too, although it's not the wireless kind... I agree that peripherals are about the only thing Microsoft does really well. It's funny, though, because the one thing Microsoft is good at, it doesn't even design itself. :)

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It's not said and done yet, but if you read the article you'd know that a source close to MS says MW 9 doesn't have a snow balls chance in hell for political reasons.

Lethal

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i hadn't read it! but now i have! and i gotta stop with the caffeine!!!!

24. 8thDegreeSavage macrumors 6502

Eventually....

It will be hacked to smithereens.