Microwave's and CD's

Discussion in 'Community' started by combatcolin, Mar 17, 2005.

1. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

After problems with burning now have a few cd's i should bin.

So can i have some fun in the microwave or does it damage the microwave?

2. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Good question. I dont' *think* it will hurt the microwave. That said I have been to chicken to try it myself.

I have seen it done once, it was pretty cool. Looked like there was a lighning strike along the surface of the CD.

3. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

I think i'll wait untill i get a few more replys, if its yes i'll take a few pics and video.

WoW!

Might have the source material to actually bother to make a web site with, wanted to do it for years but in the end couldn't be bothered.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The Mythbusters on Discovery did that on one of their shows. It didn't seem like it was damaging the microwave, and the effect was quite awsome for something so simple, but they also gave a clear (and predictable) warning not to try it at home...

So, I would not, just to be on the safe side, do it with my microwave in my kitchen...

Edit: Google, on the other hand shows that there's lots of people who've actually tried...

5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

I've done it. Its a pretty cool effect but it leaves a slight smell in the inside of the microwave. Just be prepared to wipe it down with cleaner after you do it.

Also on a related note, if you microwave a small empty bag of potato chips.( the 1 oz size bag you buy in vending machines) for 5 - 10 seconds it will shrink down to about 1.5" square.

6. thecow macrumors 6502

Yup. It's fine. I heard that the only reason that you shouldn't metal and stuff like that in the microwave is that it's a fire hazard. I don't think that a few sparks for about 10 seconds is that much of a fire hazard. Also you can nuke peeps, marshmallows and soap and it will expand. The soap is the coolest. You have to use the bar kind, not the liquid kind. Well I've never tried the liquid kind but I assume it wouldn't work.

7. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

You're right it is a fire hazard but only if you microwave paper or other easily ignitable materials. For example in my above post when I suggested microwaving a bag of potato chips, after I microwaved an empty bag I microwaved a full bag. It burst into flames because of the high oil and fat content of the chips.
    A cd will not catch on fire.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

A CD certainly could catch fire in a microwave, tho it'd be unlikely. Microwaves affect thin, drawn or hammered metals more than thick solids... that's why forks are more sparky than other utensils. A CD is obviously very thin but the aluminum is so thin I doubt it'd spark enough to melt/ignite the plastic... but when metal does burn in a microwave, it's ungodly hot, which is where the fire hazard problem comes from (an object could melt it's way into the case if it got hot enough, but the microwave tube would probably fry first).

So, you're safe, as long as you're paying attention to what you're doing...

Hell, some people have plasma experiments in their microwaves. that's what i want to try.

9. combatcolin thread starter macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Hmmmm.

Think i'll go for it when my girlfriend leaves for work!

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Ummm yea... i put i Cd-R in the microwave once, it was cool. I put the data side up and when i pushed start it looked like those electricity thingys u get at the mall from spencers gift of dapys. I think the cd was burnted in spots if i'm correct. The microwaved worked afterwords but i didn't care that much because it wasn't mine. :p But before you press start make sure you have the windows and doors open. Also make sure u have a fire estignusiher (did i spell that right) just in case ;)

*Don't use this as a reason to do this; i was like 14 at the time :eek: *

11. bentley macrumors 6502

christmas lights are fun in microwaves too

they put on a very pretty display

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

have you actually tried this?? :eek:

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Not remotely! :D It's extinguisher (next time, try typing ex then hold down opt and esc and you'll get a list of all the words that match - much easier than struggling yourself. ;)

14. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Anything that lights up a gas will get excited by the microwave and put on some kind of show. No guarantee on how long it will last.

BEN

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

interesting.....well i will stay away from microwave experimentation myself....

16. The Past macrumors 6502

17. The Past macrumors 6502

Nice tip!

18. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

doing that is a remarkably cheap form of entertainment, as is trying other objects with bits of metal in them, especially if the microwave doesn't belong to you or you're gonna junk it anyway

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i take it you know from experience? perhaps drunken ones? :p

now if i was going to trash a microwave i would have some fun experimentation with it!! try to ruin it heck yeah!!

20. bentley macrumors 6502

not tried it personally but a guy on British TV called Jeremy Clarkson used to do stupid things like that.

21. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Forget CDs, plasma, foil... try unepoxied carbon fiber in the microwave. Now THERE's a light show.

Any university solar car, concrete canoe, or engineering lab should have the stuff in rolls!

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What about a Halogen light, I wonder if it would explode.

23. 18thTomorrow macrumors 6502