'Mid 2006' iMac Revision?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Jul 19, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A couple of industrious readers have noticed that Apple's iMac support site was recently updated to include a product manual for a "Mid 2006" iMac. The manual does not appear to differ much, if at all from the current iMac manual, and does not list any specifications. The current iMac was introduced at Macworld San Francisco in January of this year.

Recent rumors/speculation has indicated that Apple may employ Intel's Conroe chip after it arrives later this month in the iMac. Other possibilities remain that Apple could update the iMac with "Merom" chips that require minimum motherboard redesign by Apple.

Update: Looks like we got ahead of ourselves. The manual is most likely for iMac for Education. Sorry for any missed heartbeats.

Digg This

2. macrumors G4

daneoni

Sweet i guess we'll be seeing a quiet conroe revision imac soon

3. macrumors regular

Could be quite interesting. Merom maybe?

4. macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I always thought that was meant for the edu iMac, but it could mean a new one soon.

EDIT 2: MY BAD! I thought for a minute that the edu iMac's didn't have an iSight. It's the remote they don't have. :eek: :eek: :eek:

5. macrumors G4

daneoni

I thought merom would be a swappable chip requiring an EFI/BIOS update only. If there is a revision to the MLB. I'd guess they'd use Conroe...i think its more logical with the merom chips going into the minis

6. macrumors regular

Just had a look art the parts list thesre include:

80GB HDD and Combo Drive - This is a manual for the EDU iMac not a new revision. Makes sense.

7. macrumors 68000

skoker

It's for the Education iMac revision.

der!

8. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Yeah, but now that we don't have the PPC chips to diferentiate the different models, are we jsut going to have the iMac, mid 2006 model, iMac mid 2026 model, etc etc?:confused:

9. macrumors regular

That's some odd wording: "recent rumors/speculation has indicated that Apple may employ Intel's Conroe chip after it arrives later in the iMac."

Isn't the whole point of the rumour that Conroe might show up in the iMac? Also, I'd say "rumours and speculation have indicated." It's just better English. :)

10. macrumors regular

That's pretty much how they've always been done. iMac Summer 2000, Mac mini Late 2005 etc...

11. macrumors 65816

jholzner

The Edu iMac has an iSight too.

12. macrumors regular

Hopefully Merom. I've heard that Yohna and Merom use the same socket and are swapable.. if this is true it would be an easy upgrade for current owners of the iMac and Mac mini. :)

13. macrumors 6502a

kevin.rivers

Didn't the edu have an isight...:confused:

14. macrumors 65816

Nothing in the manual *at all* to help figure it out. The only screen of system prefs said it was a 1.83 core due (pg 63)... but it could be an old screen shot, eh?

15. macrumors member

Be it Merom or Conroe...

...i am waiting.

I am hoping for a minor GPU Bump too. 'part from that, I got the cash waiting!

16. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It's obviously the EDU model. It doesn't include the Apple Remote, as illustrated in the diagram showing what's in the box. The section regarding the remote says "If you have an Apple remote..." while the same section in the old iMac manual says "Your Apple remote..."

17. macrumors regular

It's definatly the EDU iMac they wouldn't offer a Combo on an iMac or an 80GB HDD again. Also there is only a 17" no 20".

18. macrumors 68030

Damn, I got excited for this too. I voted the story Positive, the page refreshed, and then I saw the update. :( Oh well, there will be something at WWDC '06, we know that.

19. macrumors G3

bigandy

soooo not news ;)

20. macrumors 6502

21. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

People are using "EDU" as shorthand for the "iMac for Education" which only comes in 17". The "EDU" you see on that page in the second and third columns is simply the educational pricing of the regular iMac models.

22. macrumors 68000

aafuss1

The service manual says it's the EDU model-wished that had a Sony style revision history, as when these are updated, Apple doesn't list any changes, unlike Sony's which does.

23. macrumors regular

Just to nail this on the head, check out this description of iMac.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301724

It shows you how to identify which iMac you have.

At the bottom of the page it says:

That is definetly the iMac EDU model.

There are other indiactors on this page which have marketing model numbers for the iMac (Mid 2006). I bet they correspond to the iMac EDU.

I got excited for 30 seconds though. My cash has been waiting for the right moment.

24. macrumors regular

OK, checked the Marketing model number for the iMac EDU. I put one in my cart and it came up with this number "MA406LL/A"

That totally matches the info for the iMac (Mid 2006)

25. macrumors regular

lOUDsCREAMEr

so obviously a false alarm, dude~~

thatz the iMac for Eductaion, formerly known as "eMac"