Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
The first time was for the known video issue, they did charge me but ended up reimbursing my money once they realized it was on their end, that was very cool of them. But now, about a year later after a visit to the genius bar I'm faced with another onboard audio issue and it has to be sent off for repair again. Right now I'm just a little bummed, thinking about going back to a regular old Windows notebook for a while.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
May as well. It's all the same crap anyway. All electronics will fail eventually, requiring some sort of repair. It's always a gamble, no matter what platform one chooses.

Reactions: Samuelsan2001

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Just to follow up on this. I went out and looked at Windows laptops but none seemed "that" much better than my 2011 MBP, which I paid a hefty sum for. In the end I decided to stick with my current setup, I was just getting ready to take it in for them to send off for repair and decided I would run the latest updates just to be sure and it resolved the issue.

When I initially took it in the guy at the genius bar booted their own OS into my MBP and was able to recreate the issue (load up youtube and when a video started to play the system would immediately crash and restart). Which indicated a hardware fail, that seemed logical enough. It appears that somewhere along the line that Apple resolved the issue through a patch.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
My 2011 MBP is also out for repair for the video issue. :mad:

As for the Windows laptops, have you look at the Dell XPS 15?

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
My 2011 MBP is also out for repair for the video issue. :mad:

As for the Windows laptops, have you look at the Dell XPS 15?
Sorry to hear that, hopefully not for too long. The Dell looks like a nice laptop, I am also looking forward to the new thinner HP model coming out. But I'll probably be sticking with my MBP as long as there are no more MB issues, it still runs great and I know a 5 year old PC with Windows would never last like this.

tubeexperience

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2016
Sorry to hear that, hopefully not for too long. The Dell looks like a nice laptop, I am also looking forward to the new thinner HP model coming out. But I'll probably be sticking with my MBP as long as there are no more MB issues, it still runs great and I know a 5 year old PC with Windows would never last like this.
I am typing on my Dell laptop from 2008 running Windows 10.

Reactions: ericgtr12

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
I've got a 17" MBP with its second logic board replacement.........last one lasted 45 days - lets see if this one does any better!!

My 15" rMBP is on its third logic board now..........

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
- You're properly having fun, then!

Indeed!...All I can say is that I'm truly grateful for my Timecapsule!!........I have lost some important work a couple of times though, so not everything has been party time!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.