Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Hi guys,

Just picked up a replacement 512gb SSD for my mid-2012 macbook air 13inch. Seen a few vids online explaining how to swap it out however I have a couple of questions.

I know need to back up to an external HD and then swap out the SSD. But what do I do from there? Do I need a back up of the OS on a usb? If so, where do I get that from? Or do I simply plug in the external HD and boot back in from there? A video or step-by-step instructions would help..

Thanks.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
Your replacement SSD should have come with an external USB enclosure for your current internal SSD. Install your old SSD in that. Before you do make a final OS USB drive that will start up the mac. Once done, simply boot from that and clone your external SSD to your new internal SSD.

Lou

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I would use the cloning method using Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC).

1. Download and install CCC (fully functional 30 day trial).
2. Install CCC on your current internal drive and clone your internal to the external. Make sure you let CCC also clone the Recovery Partition.
3. Test boot from the external (option key at startup and select the external drive) to make sure you have bootable clone of the internal.
4. Install the new SSD.
5. Boot from the external drive, format the new SSD for Mac OS Extended (Journaled) GUID partition map, and run CCC to clone the external drive to the new internal SSD. Open System Preferences...>Startup Disk and set the startup drive to the new internal SSD.
6. Restart the MBA and enjoy your new SSD.

Here is a pdf of CCC's instructions manual:
http://bombich.scdn1.secure.raxcdn.com/sites/default/files/bulk_pdf/ccc4-documentation-en.pdf

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Your replacement SSD should have come with an external USB enclosure for your current internal SSD. Install your old SSD in that. Before you do make a final OS USB drive that will start up the mac. Once done, simply boot from that and clone your external SSD to your new internal SSD.

Lou

It doesn't come with an external enclosure as its an OEM SSD. So will need to find a clone software such as the one mentioned by CoastalOR.

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
This is a noob question but how do I download the latest macOS on to a USB? When going into to app store, its asking me to install.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
This is a noob question but how do I download the latest macOS on to a USB? When going into to app store, its asking me to install.
What do you want to accomplish?

Normally when you download the OS installer, after the download is completed, it automatically launches to perform the OS install and then automatically deletes after the install. You can specify where you want the OS installed during the installation process.

If you want to save the full installer, then Quit the installer as soon as the first question. The full installer app will be in the Applications folder (on the boot drive) and it will be named "Install macOS Sierra". You can save the installer to a storage media or make a bootable USB Flash drive installer, then continue the installation by launching the "Install macOS Sierra" and answering the questions.

If you use the clone process of my previous post, then you would not install macOS to the external USB drive because the clone would overwrite everything on the external with the internal drive system.

Reactions: shah1

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
What do you want to accomplish?

Normally when you download the OS installer, after the download is completed, it automatically launches to perform the OS install and then automatically deletes after the install. You can specify where you want the OS installed during the installation process.

If you want to save the full installer, then Quit the installer as soon as the first question. The full installer app will be in the Applications folder (on the boot drive) and it will be named "Install macOS Sierra". You can save the installer to a storage media or make a bootable USB Flash drive installer, then continue the installation by launching the "Install macOS Sierra" and answering the questions.

If you use the clone process of my previous post, then you would not install macOS to the external USB drive because the clone would overwrite everything on the external with the internal drive system.

Just wanting to know how its done if I do decide to go with the clean install route. However I'm more than likely to follow the clone route as you've mentioned in your earlier post. Thanks
[doublepost=1476723842][/doublepost]
Follow the instructions here:

http://betanews.com/2016/09/21/how-to-create-macos-sierra-bootable-usb-drive/

Also I would try to find an external enclosure for you old SSD. They really are handy.

Lou

Hi Lou where do I get an external enclosure for an OEM SSD? And thanks for the link.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Just wanting to know how its done if I do decide to go with the clean install route. However I'm more than likely to follow the clone route as you've mentioned in your earlier post.
There are a couple of scenarios for a clean install. Assuming you do a clean OS install to your external drive:

EDIT: Assuming the new SSD is initially installed in a external enclosure for software installation then installed internally after successful configuration.

Classic Clean Install:
1. Boot from the from the External drive with the new OS.
2. Install all of your needed apps and input registrations.
3. Type in desired settings for all preferences.
4. Copy needed Documents, Pictures, Music from the old SSD. Reboot and verify everything operates satisfactorily.
5. Remove old SSD & install the new SSD.

Clean Install OS & Migrate All Old Data, Settings & Apps:
2. Run Migration Assistant app in the Applications>Utilities folder.
3. Reboot and verify everything operates satisfactorily.
4. Remove old SSD & install the new SSD.

Information Links:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/macos-sierra-clean-install/
https://www.intego.com/mac-security...hould-you-migrate-or-do-a-clean-installation/

Last edited:

shah1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
There are a couple of scenarios for a clean install. Assuming you do a clean OS install to your external drive:
Classic Clean Install:
2. Install all of your needed apps and input registrations.
3. Type in desired settings for all preferences.
4. Copy needed Documents, Pictures, Music from the old SSD. Reboot and verify everything operates satisfactorily.
5. Remove old SSD & install the new SSD.

Clean Install OS & Migrate All Old Data, Settings & Apps:
2. Run Migration Assistant app in the Applications>Utilities folder.
3. Reboot and verify everything operates satisfactorily.
4. Remove old SSD & install the new SSD.

Information Links:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204350
https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/macos-sierra-clean-install/
https://www.intego.com/mac-security...hould-you-migrate-or-do-a-clean-installation/

The 2nd option - no 4. Won't I need to have everything copied over onto the new SSD for this to work?

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
The 2nd option - no 4. Won't I need to have everything copied over onto the new SSD for this to work?
Good catch.
I had another assumption that I failed to document. I assumed that you were putting your new SSD in the external enclosure since you asked flowrider about a external enclosure. I have edited my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.