Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
@sweeho : When you say : point you mouse to 4K.. where?

I have received my active HDMI 1.4 and now running with two separate HDMI screen on my Samsung.. I want to get one big screen.. not two separated...

I want that at 60hz... and I have the Macbook Pro Retina 2012, so can't do Display port MST. Tryng to find a way to have side by side screen with both picture with a resolution of 1920x2160 at 60hz.

Here's what I did sweeho :

1. Set to Picture by Picture. You should now display at 1920x2160 6oHz.
2. Open SwitchResX, go to U28D590 Tab, under Custom Resolutions, Add a new entry 'Scaled resolution' 2560 pixels 2800 Lines.
3. File -> Save Setting. Restart Mac OS.
4. After restart, the newly added Custom Resolution 2560x2880 should show as Active in Custom Resolution.
5. Go to Current Resolution. You should have a new entry '2560x2800, 60 Hz (NTSC). Click on the Enabled in the Active Column, select "-> 1280x1440, 60Hz (NTSC)(HiDPI).
6. File -> Save Setting. Restart Mac OS again.
7. Open SwitchResX -> About SwitchResX and Launch Daemon.

8- ??? Stuck at point 8.. something I am now seeing.. When I start the deamon nothing shows up.. nor in the status bar or in the monitor options.

Please help..

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
Alright, I was able to see the options that sweeho was talking about. I now have two side by side HDMI in HIDPI, which is great!!!

But like others, the left side is brigher and the right side is dark... what can we do to fix that? Looks to me like a problem with the Samsung itself because it's the same result in Windows 8.1

In the Samsung OSD, I can only adjust the contrast equal.. not the brighness or other options.

Thanks,

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
Me again.. sorry for all my post, but I have found out the problem with the darker screen. The problem is Intel Graphic driver. MacOS also probably uses a mix of Nvidia and intel so that's the reason why. It's calibrated in a different way. The NVIDIA one(which will run of your Accell to HDMI adapter) will be more brighter. Intel one (Built-in HDMI) is using a darker profile How to fix on the Mac, probably to buy two Accell HDMI will fix this issue.

In Windows using NVIDIA latest drivers 337.88, two monitors, side by side is just working great! I am at 4K 60hz using built-in HDMI and my Accelll mini-display port to HDMI because NVIDIA is running both HDMI with same profile.

Now, I just need a way to find out how to turn on HIDPI with 2x HDMI screen 1920x2160. When I find out, I will post my solution here and probably make some kind of tutorial.

Thanks

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
Tutorial Macbook Pro Retina 2012 4K 60hz Dual HDMI with Samsung U28D590D

Here's how I my Macbook Pro Retina 2012 running at 4K 60hz Dual HDMI with a Samsung U28D590D with scaled turned on.

Result : Amazing
Conclusion : More and more I hate Apple for being so restrictive and not supporting product that can do 4K easily. They are pushing users to upgrade and take a mortgage.

What do you need :
0- Macbook Pro Retina 2012 or up
1- Microsoft Windows 8.1 (Bootcamp)
2- 2x HDMI cable
3- Mini Display to HDMI Accell adapter model : B086B-008B-2 (make sure you use the version Display Port 1.1 to HDMI 1.4, there are another version for DP1.2 and this is not the one that we need).
4- Patience

Here's the steps and all config to have a near to perfect monitor to edit pictures (I am not kidding, when well configured, the color match is near a wide-gamut monitor.. exept for the extrem corners.. but hey it's 650$ monitor.. and I don't work for Samsung no worries). Let's start :

0- Connect your HDMI cables, one from your builtin Macbook Pro port to Monitor HDMI port 1 and the other from the Mini Display Adapter to the Monitor (your mini display accell adapter being plugged in one of your two Thunderbolt/Mini Display port)

1- Open your Monitor and plug nothing for now
2- We will setup the monitor settings now because after you have a dual HDMI for some reason you can't. Go into picture.
3- Set the Brightness to 86
4- Set the contrast to 79
5- Set the sharpness to 68
6- Game Mode : Off
7- Magic Angle : Standing Mode
8- Go to color and set color tone to "Normal" and "Gamme to Mode3"
9- We'll now activate the picture on picture. Go to screen and choose PIP and turn it on
10- Make sure the size is set to "Wide" and choose the icon that is showing two side by side monitors.
11- Under source, select select HDMI1 for the left and HDMI2 for the right and click "Apply"
12- Click on "Contrast" and set it to 79/79 for both sides
13- Boot your Mac in Windows 8.1 mode
14- Put a solid "grey" color as your wallpaper for now to see if you can see the screen separation.
15- Go to your screen resolution(right click on desktop, choose "screen resolution". You should see your two monitors with a resolution of both respectively of 1920x2160 at 60Hz and that they are in the right order for you. You should not see any problem if you setting your contrast properply in step 12
16- Now you need to adjust the scaling option to have HiDPI. Still in the "screen resolution panel, click on "Make test and other items larger or smaller"
17- Push the bar from "Smaller" right to "Larger" and check "Let me choose one scaling level for all my displays"
18- Click on "Custom sizing options"
19- Move the grid to "175%" and click ok and apply
20- You will be ask to sign out. Do so and sign in back.

HÉ VOILA!
* If you want your wallpaper all across, just select a wallpaper and select "tile".

It's not MacOS, but it looks freaking good and I don't know what Windows 8.1 has, but the scaling looks way better in Windows than MacOS 10.9.3 (I am talking when the applications supports it and the OS, because some aren't and it sucks, but overall, it's fantastic). I will probably never make my color retouch on that monitor as a photographer, but will certainly make video editing and effects that requires a big screen.

I would like to tell everyone that there is hope that someone finds a way to make it works under MacOS, but it requires skills to force MacOS to use same profile from NVIDIA driver with "dual HDMI".

At least we got our 4K at 60hz working with a 2012 Macbook Pro!

If Apple is smart they will release a compatibility, else they will just love money, because I am not gonna buy Aperture and Final Cut if 4K at 60hz is not supported on my Macbook Pro 2012. I am planning buying Premiere CC for Windows now.

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
Dual HDMI problem on MACOS

Hi guys,

I have found out the reason why two HDMI connexion doesn't work on MACOS and now working on a fix.

The reason is simple, but hard to find. MacOS treaty your built-in monitor as a TV.. which mean that it uses a different color space (YCbCr) rather then RGB. I know because in photography some people always ask if they can use their HDTV to edit picture and we explained to them the reason behind.

The proof if you want to have a look : In MacOs, go to Utilities and click on "system information', then choose "Graphics/Displays", select your NVIDIA card and you will find the U28D590 in the list.. and search for "Television".. you will see that the setting is at "Television=yes".. now i hate Apple a bit more..

I will come back to you with a fix as soon as I can. This should also fix the issue of people mixing Mini Display to display mixed with Built-in HDMI to achieved 4K at 60hz.

I have found good information already to override the settings using a script so it should not be long before I come back to you!

Thanks for you patience!

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
Yay that worked

Yay!! That worked!!!!

The problem was really how MacOS sees the Samsung. We all know it wasn't an HDTV, once my fix applied, a reboot and it was clear as in Windows and after we just have to use switchresx steps to scaled.

Writing a tutorial and will attach the script in my next post!

Stay tune!

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
How to 4K 60HZ Macbook 2012 with Samsung U28D590D Tutorial

Here's the tutorial to get your 2012 Macbook Pro Retina running an external Samsung U28D590D monitor at 4K 60HZ Scaled(retina look).

What do you need :
1- MacOs 10.9.3
2- SwitchresX (legit or trial)
3- U28D590 Patch (attach to this post), filename : NORATIO-RGB_PATCH_MACOS_1093_SAMSUNG_U28D590D.zip
4- 2x HDMI cables
5- Mini Display to HDMI Accell adapter model : B086B-008B-2 (make sure you use the version Display Port 1.1 to HDMI 1.4, there are another version for DP1.2 and this is not the one that we need)

Comments : You need to be on Mac 10.9.3 because you want to use the scaled feature over HIDPI so not everything looks tiny. You need my patch/fix to override stupid Apple detection of the Samsung U28D590 as an HDTV instead of a monitor. This will correct the color space used to communicate with our monitor. And you need the Accell DP to HDMI adapter to have the second HDMI to achieved a side by side 1920x2160 at 60hz for a total of 4K at 60hz

Here's the step :

1- Open your Monitor and plug nothing for now
2- We will setup the monitor settings now because after you have a dual HDMI for some reason you can't. Go into picture.
3- Set the Brightness to 86
4- Set the contrast to 79
5- Set the sharpness to 68
6- Game Mode : Off
7- Magic Angle : Standing Mode
8- Go to color and set color tone to "Normal" and "Gamme to Mode3"
9- We'll now activate the picture on picture. Go to screen and choose PIP and turn it on
10- Make sure the size is set to "Wide" and choose the icon that is showing two side by side monitors.
11- Under source, select select HDMI1 for the left and HDMI2 for the right and click "Apply"
12- Click on "Contrast" and set it to 79/79 for both sides
13- Boot up your Macbook and login to your MacOS session
14- Go into the wallpaper and put a solid grey color as wallpaper for both monitor)
15- Extract NORATIO-RGB_PATCH_MACOS_1093_SAMSUNG_U28D590D.zip. You should see a folder called "DisplayVendorID-4c2d" (DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME).
16- Copy the folder and paste it in : /System/Library/Displays/Overrides (a popup will tell you that the folder already exist and will ask you to overwrite, you say YES. Do not just copy the file, you need to copy over the folder
17- Reboot (you should now have a real RGB monitor).
18- Go into System Preferences, displays and make sure that the color profile is set to "Color LCD" for both side. If you still see a separation, you may have to increased the contrast for one side on the monitor (I had to do +5 for one of them to match the grey perfectly, so i ended up 79/84). When I switch in Windows 8.1 mode, I have to put it back to 79/79.
19- Install Switchresx and follow options from "Sweeho", are they are again
20- Open SwitchresX and click on the first U28D590 in left panel
21- Click Custom Resolutions tab
22- Click the "+" button to add a new entry
23- Choose 'Scaled resolution' from the drop down menu
24- At the line "Scale to", put 2560 pixels 2880 lines
25- In the status bar on top, click file, save settings
26- Reboot
27- Go back in "System Preferences, click on SwitchResx to open
28- click on the first U28D590 in left panel
29- Click on "Current resolutions"
30- Find newly added resolution 2560x2880,60hz (do not select it, just find it)
31- In the Active column, click on the "Enable" text to list a choice of resolution
32- Choose 1280x1440, 60hz HiDPi
33- Reboot
34- SwitchResX offer a contextual menu, right click Desktop in the left HDMI side, SwitchResX and choose "1280x1440, 60HZ HiDPi".
35- Repeat the same thing on the right side now
36- Go to System Preferences, Mission control and uncheck "Displays have separate Spaces" (this will permit to have windows all across the full 4k resolution.

HÉ VOILÀ!!!

You now have a 4K resolution at 60HZ retina scaled display on your Macbook Prop Retina 2012 with two HDMI.

Attachments

• NORATIO-RGB_PATCH_MACOS_1093_SAMSUNG_U28D590D.zip
    763 bytes · Views: 984
Last edited:

jonisign

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
You now have a 4K resolution at 60HZ retina scaled display on your Macbook Prop Retina 2012 with two HDMI.

Thanks for the guide! The RGB fix makes this much better--

I've almost got it working but am having a strange problem... one of the panels doesn't have the new scale version fit the screen correctly... Half of the monitor looks excellent, and correctly does 1280x1440 HiDPI by having a 2560x2880 panel be outputted to the monitor at 1920x2160.

However, the other HDMI port seems to be doing something VERY bizarre. I'm able to select 1280x1440p HiDPI, but it is outputted as a tiny little window to the other side of the monitor... If I look at the info settings on the monitor it looks like the second HDMI is receiving a 1920x1080 resolution rather than the 1920x2160. Any idea why this might happen??

Thanks!

jonisign

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Also, if I try to make any changes with swtichresx and restart I lose your RGB fix :(

----------

Furthermore, if I try doing this over displayport instead I still get a weird phenomenon... rather than outputting 1920x2160 it outputs 3840x2160, resulting in another scrunched screen on the second panel.

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
@jonisign :

I would like to help you.

1- Make sure SwitchresX is at version 4.4 and as trial (if you do tried a serial from the web for some reasons, please uninstall and try again). I saw some glitches with people that tries non-legit serial.
1a- Make sure that both monitor are detected at 1920x2160, please confirm?
1b- If so, uninstall Switchresx and delete all settings under HDD/Users/username/Library/fr.madrau.switchres*.plist
1c- installed again using on trial version to see if works for you

2- When you create the custom resolution, make sure you reboot, not a logout/login

3- Make sure you apply the steps 27 to 33 on both HDMI monitors

4- Make sure in your monitor settings you are at PC, not AV

5- Maybe you try doing all of this with the Macbook lid open, try with the lid closed. Even if it should be supported, the OS may try to adjust to the "macbook retina".. maybe your problem with the Display cable.

If you still have issues let me know. I can always schedule a team viewer with you if you wish. Can't do that to everyone, but at least two of us knows and can help others, we can multiply helpers and make sure Apple sees that we are pissed at them that they don't support 2012 at 4K 60hz.

Thanks

noratio

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2014
My experience after full day of work

Ok, some people won't like me where because we are on a Mac forum, but I found (personnal opinion) that the experience in 4K at 60HZ is nicer in Windows 8.1. The mouse feel better, text is crisper and when I move the windows around it's fluid like if I have a 1920x1080p running. On MacOS, when I move the same Firefox windows, same content, it lags a bit, not much, but I am detailed person and like the perfection.

Anyway, if Apple can come up with a proper driver I think it will be ok and optimized, else(I don't feel the will), it's Windows 8.1 for me. Today, I am finally removing the $ Micro$oft and adding the $ to App$le

jonisign

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
@noratio

Thanks for your help! So, after many attempts at uninstalling switchresx, removing switchresx plists, etc. I still can't get OS X to recognize that the signal coming out of my Accell active adapter should be 1920x2160. Maybe there's an issue with my adapter?

That being said, I am able to get 1920x2160 over HDMI and DisplayPort separately. The problem I was having before was that it would continue to output 3840x2160 on the second tile... resetting everything seemed to do the trick there. With your RGB fix doing HDMI and DP side-by-side is much better, but not exactly perfect so I'll play around more with the color. Additionally, 2560x2800 works just fine!

In addition to 2560x2880, you might want to try and add other HiDPI settings of 3008x3384 and 3200x3600 as I suggested earlier. These get you some of the other resolutions that SHOULD be available for 4K monitors and they look great.

As for the issue with Apple, I completely agree. There is no reason that the 2012 shouldn't support 4K at 60Hz. However, this might not all be Apple... Intel might need to update drivers for OS X to support MST on the 2012. I believe that's how the experience is so smooth on Windows.

What is even more frustrating is that for the 2013 13-inch rMBP (which I'm using), OS X is actually able to output 3840x2160 over SST @ 52Hz, single panel with thunderbolt 2! Why isn't this available as default? Why aren't any scaling options available? Performance is totally fine running two 3200x3600 panels side by side. This seems purposely crippled to me.

----------

Also, another reason the Windows experience might be smoother is the way OS X handles scaling? Windows might just be scaling particular elements, while OS X just renders the whole screen 2X and does some filtering to shrink back down to the size desired which takes a bit more processing.

Anyways, have you found anyway to get the menu bar to extend across both panels? That also might be nice.

MacXcel

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Quick Basic Question

Hi Everyone. I just ordered a Samsung 4K panel only to find out 60Hz is not supported on 2012 Rmbpro.

I have read the workarounds but really confused about the cabling setup. Can someone list out what is required cables etc how it connects up. My set up is single screen based. Thanks :)

p.S - Please list the exact models of the cables recommended.

MacXcel

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2014
Hi Everyone. I just ordered a Samsung 4K panel only to find out 60Hz is not supported on 2012 Rmbpro.

I have read the workarounds but really confused about the cabling setup. Can someone list out what is required cables etc how it connects up. My set up is single screen based. Thanks :)

p.S - Please list the exact models of the cables recommended.

Hi
Is it these ones i need.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accell-B086B-002B-UltraAV-Display-Adapter/dp/B0041OEQA6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IBRA®-PRO-G...UTF8&qid=1403569989&sr=1-2&keywords=hd+cables

I understand that Samsung only accepts 30hz over HDMI so how would getting a 60Hz signal be possible by connecting both HDMI and Display port at the same time? Am i missing something. Thanks

sweeho

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2014
Hi
Is it these ones i need.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accell-B086B-002B-UltraAV-Display-Adapter/dp/B0041OEQA6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IBRA®-PRO-G...UTF8&qid=1403569989&sr=1-2&keywords=hd+cables

I understand that Samsung only accepts 30hz over HDMI so how would getting a 60Hz signal be possible by connecting both HDMI and Display port at the same time? Am i missing something. Thanks

MacXel,

You need this

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-B086B-...ini+Display+Port+to+HDMI+Adapter+Cable+active

You need to connect two HDMI cables to the Monitor, one from the MBP HDMI port, another one via the above HDMI adaptor from MBP Mini Display port.

Then you need to enable the picture by picture mode in the monitor. Each half of the monitor will now take input from one of the two HDMI, which will run at 60Hz. Follow the steps posted by Noratio above for setup.

Good Luck.

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I'm so glad I found this thread - it was exactly what I was looking for as I have the original 15" rMBP. I'm guessing if we found a 4k 60hz monitor that had two DP inputs with picture-by-picture function the solution would be much simpler? Any affordable 4K monitors with two DP inputs on the horizon? I'm going to follow this thread and post any impressions. Awesome stuff!

ispaure

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
Confused as to which minidisplayport to HDMI adapter to buy

Sadly, I can't get the one everyone recommends (Accell), but I could get this HDMI adapter:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=73c3636924dc094b23cb1bb3b1276f72en02

It says that it is HDCP 1.3 compliant as well as displayport 1.1.

So would it be fine or do I absolutely need it to be written HDMI 1.4; or is that just that I must get an HDMI 1.4 CABLE instead of ADAPTER.

I would really appreciate your support on this, thank you

*Using MBPr mid 2012

Or may I combine the http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...045&path=cdd5f3effa3584846db2bb6072e41905en02 with the MBPr HDMI out

Last edited:

jonisign

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
I believe the port really does have to be HDMI 1.4... Displayport 1.1 and 1.2 cables are interchangeable though.

That being said, I'm using the setup without an adapter and it works great. I'm using a Mini-DP 1.1 cable from a thunderbolt port and just straight up HDMI 1.4 from the computer for the other screen. Once applying the RGB patch mentioned earlier in this thread the color difference between the two panels of the screen I find undetectable under most circumstances.

MelonSmasher

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
Dual Monitors

Hi this is my first post here so i don't quite know how it works. I i have a mbpr 13 inch and i was going to get dual monitors. I would like to know if there are any cheap monitors without a bezel on the inside.

ispaure

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
I believe the port really does have to be HDMI 1.4... Displayport 1.1 and 1.2 cables are interchangeable though.

That being said, I'm using the setup without an adapter and it works great. I'm using a Mini-DP 1.1 cable from a thunderbolt port and just straight up HDMI 1.4 from the computer for the other screen. Once applying the RGB patch mentioned earlier in this thread the color difference between the two panels of the screen I find undetectable under most circumstances.

I am trying to configure SwitchXRes to do 3840x2160 @*30 Hz on the MiniDisplay Port for a start (I can do 40 Hz in Windows with Nvidia Utility). Any resolution that I configure, I save and I reboot do not get added to the resolutions list. Am I missing something? I think my switchxres is broken

Help or insight greatly appreciated,
ispaure

ispaure

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
For those interested

I just want to report my experience running this monitor in Windows 7 with a rMBP mid-2012 w/ Nvidia 650m 1Gb graphics chip.

With Nvidia drivers updated to the latest version, an Accell MiniDisplay Port to DisplayPort adapter, I am able to get the following configurations:

1) MiniDisplay Port @ 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz
2) MiniDisplay Port @ 3840 x 2160 @ 40 Hz
3) MiniDisplay Port @ 3456 x 1944 @ 45 Hz (custom resolution, 90% of UHD)
4) MiniDisplay Port @ 1920 x 2160 @ 60 Hz + HDMI 1.4 @ 1920x2160 (with screen flickering in the middle when I watch videos / move windows across screen)

Your mileage may slightly vary according to the specific adapter that you get. If you are in Canada, look for the Accell on Futureshop (it's about 13$ CAD, cheap for an adapter this good).

Personal experience in Windows (not games) @ different Hz settings:
30 Hz : Way too slow for computing. Mouse lags beyond a level that it is comfortable to use
40 Hz: Bare minimum IMHO for working. Alright.
45 Hz: Looks way smoother. Much more bearable than 40 Hz and, especially, 30 Hz
60 Hz: Smooth, no problems

In conclusion: Unless I find a way to fix the flicker; maybe buying an HDMI adapter so both outputs from my computer are HDMI?, I will stick with a single DisplayPort Adapter. It is convenient when switching to games and, since I game at 1920x1080 anyway, it doesn't make a difference to me when gaming.

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
I just want to report my experience running this monitor in Windows 7 with a rMBP mid-2012 w/ Nvidia 650m 1Gb graphics chip.

With Nvidia drivers updated to the latest version, an Accell MiniDisplay Port to DisplayPort adapter, I am able to get the following configurations:

1) MiniDisplay Port @ 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz
2) MiniDisplay Port @ 3840 x 2160 @ 40 Hz
3) MiniDisplay Port @ 3456 x 1944 @ 45 Hz (custom resolution, 90% of UHD)
4) MiniDisplay Port @ 1920 x 2160 @ 60 Hz + HDMI 1.4 @ 1920x2160 (with screen flickering in the middle when I watch videos / move windows across screen)

Your mileage may slightly vary according to the specific adapter that you get. If you are in Canada, look for the Accell on Futureshop (it's about 13$ CAD, cheap for an adapter this good).

Personal experience in Windows (not games) @ different Hz settings:
30 Hz : Way too slow for computing. Mouse lags beyond a level that it is comfortable to use
40 Hz: Bare minimum IMHO for working. Alright.
45 Hz: Looks way smoother. Much more bearable than 40 Hz and, especially, 30 Hz
60 Hz: Smooth, no problems

In conclusion: Unless I find a way to fix the flicker; maybe buying an HDMI adapter so both outputs from my computer are HDMI?, I will stick with a single DisplayPort Adapter. It is convenient when switching to games and, since I game at 1920x1080 anyway, it doesn't make a difference to me when gaming.

How does gaming look at 1920x1080? Have you tried other 1080p sources, such as Xbox or Playstation? I'm on the fence, if I were to get one I'd drive it the same way (1920x2160 dual) because I have the same rMBP as you.

ispaure

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
How does gaming look at 1920x1080? Have you tried other 1080p sources, such as Xbox or Playstation? I'm on the fence, if I were to get one I'd drive it the same way (1920x2160 dual) because I have the same rMBP as you.

As of now, I am not using it as 1920x2160 dual because I get some screen flickering in the middle (DisplayPort and HDMI seem to have a different delay, both "screens" do not show the same frame at the exact same time so it flickers). Furthermore, I believe that, as the computer sees two monitors, playing videos and games in full screen would be really cumbersome. IS THERE ANYONE WHO CAN REPORT HAVING THE SAME ISSUE, FLICKERING WITH TWO SOURCES (DP & HDMI)?

Ideally, you want to run it with one cable (DisplayPort) so your computer recognizes it as one screen and play with the settings (under Windows) in the Nvidia control panel to maximize the resolution and the refresh rate.

Gaming at 1920x1080 @*60 Hz looks just fine, but the difference is night and day when you try 4K gaming. rMBPR mid-2012 isn't made for 4K gaming though; recent games play sluggishly, you'll have a better chance with older games. I'll do more tests, comparing a 24 inch 1080p monitor to it for gaming @ 1080p and I'll report back to you.

I have hooked a PlayStation 3 and played Uncharted 3 a bit. It looks good, although pixelated. I think it has more to do with the size of the display than the display itself; when you sit close to a 28 inch screen to play a 720p game, you will surely notice the pixels no matter how good the screen. You get used to it quickly though.

I am going to uninstall OS X Mavericks 1.9.3 :(. With the DP adapter, I can only get 3840x2160 @ 30 Hz w/ SwitchXRes instead of 3840x2160 @ 40 Hz under Windows. The extra 10 Hz makes it run way more smoothly.

All in all, I'm giving up on OSX because the screen works better in Windows (at least, when connecting with a single cable). It's a shame Apple makes it so hard to configure screens in OSX: not just this one. In the past, I had trouble with configuring 1920x1200 and 1440x900 monitors without the aid of extra software like SwitchXRes.

The screen is worth it, but it must be calibrated (fiddle with the settings). I am a 3D Animation student and the extra room will allow me to be more productive (I will not be running HiDPI modes; I bought it for the real screen estate). At 3840x2160, the text is much more easier on the eyes than the screen from the rMBP 15 inch @ 2880x1800 because of the size of the screen.

Long post, I know. But I hope it gives insight to people wanting to buy this screen. You'll know what to expect. :) If anyone has other questions, post back here and I'll give more info/do some testing.

ispaure

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
@jonisign

I had to reinstall SwitchXRes in order to be able to register the new resolutions. When using the DP + HDMI adapter, do you get flickering in the middle of your screen? When watching a video, as if the two streams are not synchronized.

Thanks,
ispaure

bootz

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2014
Has anyone tried using 2 of the DP to HDMI adapters together to see if that would eliminate the lag/screen distortion?

I'm on the fence right now between trying to make this monitor work with my rMBP mid-2012 vs buying the LG 34UM95. The benefit of the LG would be 60z 1440p 21:9 widescreen with a single DP cable. But I love the idea of getting the pixel-dense Samsung, even if it means running two adapters, plus two cables, to make it work. I've been spoiled by my retina screen on my MBP!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.