Mid-plane assembly

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Anarchy99, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    on the iMac G5 Knowledge Base documents there is the iMac G5 parts you can install yourself and it says:
    Mid-plane assembly (contains the main logic board, the G5 processor, fans, NVIDIA graphics processor, and so forth).
    so i know its possible to install a new graphics card but how would you do it ? and will apple actualy sell Mid-plane assembly's with better graphics cards
  2. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

Jul 4, 2001
    It's possible, but not that likely the way I see it. As you said, the mid-plane assembly is also where your processor lives and your processor happens to be one of the most expensive parts of your computer. For G4 PowerMacs, we have replaceable daughter cards with processors-good ones cost around $400. Add to that $300 for a decent video card and your market of people who'd pay is so small that no one would ever do it. Not to mention no one's made an upgrade using a G5 yet.
  3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    Yeah, I am intrigued by what this revelation might mean, but I am not holding my breath. Still it is nice to dream that you could upgrade the new iMac :D